Organizing weekly "hardcore" SB mission

MDF

Over on the United Operations website. Read the gory details here: UO Steel Beasts forum

If interested, please indicate the days/times of the week you would be available here: Scheduler. Note that the times on that scheduler are GMT-4, so adjust your info accordingly.

Key takeaways:

(1) This is aimed at those pitiable souls who, having no social lives to speak of, actually want to spend significant time each week on mission preparation and coordination, over and above the actual mission execution time.:)

(2) All skill levels welcome, except that prior completion of all tutorials for at least one vehicle is a prerequisite.

(3) If "no map updates," Channel Commander, and crewing a wide array of vehicles are not to your liking, this is not the right activity for you. :)

(4) This is not intended as an alternative to, or competition for, TGIF. It's intended as a supplement. (Friday evenings are a NO-GO anyway, because UO has their Falcon 4 mission that night).

Here are some representative vids of UO gameplay:

Edited by MDF

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the info but as I'm in GMT +10, I suspect almost any time you pick wont work for me.

Good luck with it though.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, we may not be able even to find a time that will work for both Western Hemispherian and European members (we do have one Dane with a sleep disorder who's awake at US-friendly times, though!). Assuming we can even get a sufficient critical mass for this undertaking -- which is still a big "if" -- I am hopeful that we can at least occasionally find workable times for head-to-head or coop missions with other VUs, and maybe even find a time that works for BG ANZAC. For example, if UO were to run a mission at 2400z Sat/Sun (good for UO's Western Hemisphere members), I assume 1000z Sun might be at least semi-palatable for BG ANZAC (or is my Zulu math all bolloxed up again?).

Well, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's see if we can even get the UO enterprise up and running.

Hope this works out for you Paladin, Getting other simmers into SB online can only be a good thing for us all, If the times you sort out are Euro friendly I'm sure us Brits and our camp followers can turn up for some online shenanigans.

Alos if there is anything UKA can do to help let me know :D

btw had a quick glimpse at the UO thread you have posted, there is a reply for a guy called Hellhound, is that the Hellhound that used to CO 29th Armour?

Hope this works out for you Paladin, Getting other simmers into SB online can only be a good thing for us all, If the times you sort out are Euro friendly I'm sure us Brits and our camp followers can turn up for some online shenanigans.

Alos if there is anything UKA can do to help let me know :D

Thanks, Hoggy. Soviet VU/UKA are squarely in our sights for online partnering. UO seems like fertile ground because they do have an active core of guys who enjoy a rigorous approach to other complex sims (BMS, DCS, Arma2/3). But perusing the ArmA board over there, you can still see that they have difficulties maintaining a "tactical" attitude on their servers. Plus, for whatever reason, SB just doesn't have the visibility or, erm, "mass" appeal that air and infantry sims do. Hard to believe that price is really the issue, given the amounts that people will invest in joystick/throttle/rudder sets, TrackIR, multiple monitors, etc. Ehh, who knows?

btw had a quick glimpse at the UO thread you have posted, there is a reply for a guy called Hellhound, is that the Hellhound that used to CO 29th Armour?

Actually, I was thinking the same thing, but I'm new at UO and don't really know most of the members or HH in particular. I'll ask him.

*UPDATE* He claims to be a different HellHound.:)

Edited by MDF

I assume 1000z Sun might be at least semi-palatable for BG ANZAC (or is my Zulu math all bolloxed up again?).

Can I strongly suggest using something like this:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20140408T09

That does the maths for you?!

You type in your "local" time and it spits out the equivalents for everybody else.

Saves others doing the maths - in my experience another barrier to joining in.

So 1000Z this Sunday is:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20140427T10

Can I strongly suggest using something like this:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20140408T09

That does the maths for you?!

You type in your "local" time and it spits out the equivalents for everybody else.

Saves others doing the maths - in my experience another barrier to joining in.

So 1000Z this Sunday is:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20140427T10

Yes, I will use that. Actually, what I meant was that I assumed/hoped that 2400z (2000 my local time, and 1000 local time in BG ANZAC's AO) would be palatable. I shouldn't have added the "z" after 1000. Is there a website that can fix stupid? :bigsmile:

Yes, I will use that. Actually, what I meant was that I assumed/hoped that 2400z (2000 my local time, and 1000 local time in BG ANZAC's AO) would be palatable. I shouldn't have added the "z" after 1000. Is there a website that can fix stupid? :bigsmile:

Well it varies. ;)

For some BG ANZAC members that translates as 0800, others 1000 and at the right of arc 1200 (all depends in which time zone they live).

• 1 month later...

Inaugural mission this Saturday. Start time currently in flux, but probably 2200z or 2300z. If you're interested, please sign up for a slot here.

All are welcome, but please read the CONOPS. If this is your cup of tea, please make sure to familiarize yourself with UO radio procedures here: Zedic's Radio Procedures Guide (my skillz are still iffy in this regard but, hey, I'm, trying).

Also, you will need to register with the UO forum (registration is necessary to authenticate entry into the UO Teamspeak server). But of course, since you have signed up for a slot on the page indicated above, you must have already registered, right? :)

I will publish the mission time once it is finally decided. Note that we LAUNCH to the Planning Phase at that time, so make sure you show up at least 5-10 minutes before that. Please have your port forwarding squared away in advance.

Also, you will need to register with the UO forum (registration is necessary to authenticate entry into the UO Teamspeak server). But of course, since you have signed up for a slot on the page indicated above, you must have already registered, right? :)

Well I tried to connect to TS using the info in the top right hand corner of the UO web page (in an attempt to be ready for Sunday - my time) but TS is asking me for a server password.

Disregard: I read the doco. :)

Inaugural mission this Saturday. Start time currently in flux, but probably 2200z or 2300z. If you're interested, please sign up for a slot

Hi Paladin

Hope this works out well for you, but I have to decline your kind invitation as three nights a week with UKA/SVU are enough for me!

Hi Paladin

Hope this works out well for you, but I have to decline your kind invitation as three nights a week with UKA/SVU are enough for me!

Are you sure we can't entice you? We're playing the US version of "Hasty Defense". Don't you want just a weee bit of revenge on those awful Soviets after last week?:bigsmile:

Hi Paladin.

I will try to make it.

I believe MP is a vital component if the SB-PE community wants to grow

And Kudos to anybody trying to facilitate this.

Great, hope to see you there. Remember that you have to register with the United Operations forum in order to be able to get into their TS server.

Well I tried to connect to TS using the info in the top right hand corner of the UO web page (in an attempt to be ready for Sunday - my time) but TS is asking me for a server password.

Disregard: I read the doco. :)

Which doco? I can't find a password so clearly I am not reading the right documents!

/KT

On the UO web site is a section about getting started.

That has a sub section on TeamSpeak.

That tells you the p/word (I can PM it to you if you can't find it).

Logging on to TS then asks you to register if you want to play ARMA2 or 3 or some rubbish* (* Gibson technical term and certainly IMHO) if you only want SB you can connect without this.

Then within TS scroll down for about 1Km and a half and you'll see SB in the "misc" section.

:)

Good initial event.

Thanks MDF for putting it together.

As usual it would have been better with more bodies, but hopefully over time this will improve.

AAR: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19518131/Hasty%20Defense%2001-B%20%28US%29%20%5Bno%20ENY%20map%20updates%5D_060114GIBSON-SERVE0825.zip

Note to UK Armour: Major Victory this time with no Enemy map updates! ;)

However, we had M1A1s and Bradley and started with about 80% ammo compared to UK event with:

Enemy map updates on

Only 40% ammo

CR2, Warrior and Scimitar

The enemies were worse in the UK version IIRC. Both scenarios should of started at 40% supply unless someone changed it (or maybe it was an old version or perhaps I screwed it up).

Just going off the two briefings re the starting ammo state. :)

Comparative AARs:

UK: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19518131/Hasty%20Defense%2001-B%20%28UK%29_052614GIBSON-SERVE0520.zip

US: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19518131/Hasty%20Defense%2001-B%20%28US%29%20%5Bno%20ENY%20map%20updates%5D_060114GIBSON-SERVE0825.zip

Yes, an excellent mission. We were slightly overtasked with just seven players, but we managed.

We played the Hasty Defense 01-B (US) mission, with the US side modified thusly:

-- no ENY map updates

-- AI cannot call for fire

-- all platoons divided into individual vehicles in order to facilitate initial deployment.

I did not alter the initial supply situation, which was (ammo=ready/stowed):

-- M1s: 12/0 sabot, 4/0 HEAT, 40% fuel

-- M2A2(ODS): 72/0 KE, 228/0 HE, 2/1 TOW, 100% fuel

-- M3A2 (ODS): 80/90 KE, 220/390 HE, 2/7 TOW, 100% fuel

So, the M1s were at ~40% ammo; Brads at ~80%.

One difference with the UK version: they faced T-72B(early); we faced the later T-2B model. Of course, in the UK version, you have to make do with Scimitars, while the US has M3A2s.