Organizing weekly "hardcore" SB mission

MDF

Everyone did an excellent job, and I'm not just saying that to be polite. Good communications, initiative, and effective execution were the norm.

Special kudos to Gibsonm, who not only ran a tank platoon effectively but also operated the CSS element to like effect.

1 demerit to Tankhunter for engaging enemy tanks with TOW in contravention of express orders. However, 2 merits to Tankhunter for killing at least three T-72Bs with said TOWs. :)

Sorry to Mog that you saw the least action (apart from me). Luck of the draw, unfortunately. In the UK Armour session last week, the Soviet main effort was in your sector.

Edited by MDF

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators
Just going off the two briefings re the starting ammo state. :)

Ah I see, its just a typo. At one point (in the dark ages) it used to be 80%, then I reduced it to 40% after I spawned so many variants of the scenario. I guess I forgot to update the text in that one.

I guess I need to make sure the IFVs also start with 40% ammo though.

I fix! :luxhello:

Let me know if you ever play the US versions again and I can send the update, otherwise they will get updated in the next upgrade.

Could you upload Both AAR's again Gibsonm.

I have been trying to download them but keep getting the same Error message.

Error (509)

This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Could you upload Both AAR's again Gibsonm.

I have been trying to download them but keep getting the same Error message.

Error (509)

This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

No point I'm afraid as all the links appear to be disabled.

Just wait like the message says.

Mission for this week is a modification of "Autobahn Wars Part1 Counter Recon V5" by "WarUlf". It's part of a quasi-campaign of (IIRC) seven missions set in the Fulda Gap in 1989. I modified the original mission by disabling ENY map updates, replacing the M966 HMMWV/TOW with M3 CFVs (with damaged LRFs to better represent the earlier version of the M3), and replacing the off-map mortars with M1064A3s, and a few other things.

The following individual vehicle slots are available:

CO/A - M3A2 (ODS)

1/A

> 1-1/A - M1A1 (HA) (Section lead)

> 4-1/A - M1A1 (HA)

2/A

> 1-2/A - M3A2 (ODS) (section lead)

>> 2-2/A - M3A2 (ODS) [PaladinSix]

3/A

Alpha section:

> 1-3/A - M3A2 (ODS) (Platoon CO/section lead)

>>> 2-3/A - M3A2 (ODS)

Bravo section:

>> 4-3/A - M3A2 (ODS) (section lead)

>>> 3-3/A - M3A2 (ODS)

7/A

> M981 FISTV (FSO also has TACON of 6 x SP mortars)

CSS

> 1/C - 1 x M88A1 ARV

> various and sundry HEMTTs inside FULDA

IMPORTANT!

1. Because I have seen the Soviet OOB and COA, someone else must CO the mission. As indicated above, I'm taking a non-leadership slot and will keep my mouth shut except as to that which I perceive with my own sensors.
  2. Given the smallish size of the mission, and assuming attendance equal to last week, it's likely that attrition will leave people without a vehicle. Because cross-talk among vehicle crewmen swamps the radio net, whisper lists are mandatory in this mission. If you find yourself vehicle-less, hop into a slot in a surviving vehicle in your section or, if none, in your platoon. To smooth the transition to intra-vehicle communication channels, I would suggest that, prior to launch, players set up whisper lists with the other members of their section and platoon, which they can start using (and whittle down to the necessary list members) if and when dictated by attrition.
  3. This should go without saying in light of "charter" item #14, but ensure that you are familiar with the M3 and M1A1(HA) prior to mission start.

56e83d0428b00_AutobahnWarsPart1CounterRe

Autobahn Wars Part1 Counter Recon V5 [PaladinSix-UO].rar

Edited by MDF

Servus,

Which date and time?

cheers

D u k e

7 June, 2200 GMT. You must register with the unitedoperations.net forum in order to participate (a forum user name is necessary for entry to their TeamSpeak server).

AAR: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19518131/Hasty%20Defense%2001-B%20%28US%29%20%5Bno%20ENY%20map%20updates%5D_060114GIBSON-SERVE0825.zip

Note to UK Armour: Major Victory this time with no Enemy map updates! ;)

However, we had M1A1s and Bradley and started with about 80% ammo compared to UK event with:

Enemy map updates on

Only 40% ammo

CR2, Warrior and Scimitar

In the interest of full disclosure, for some reason the ENY's third tank/mech company(+) lagged behind their main attack and contributed little, if any, combat power. Thus, while we racked up a 46:7[*] kill ratio and achieved a major victory, things would have been a bit different absent the glitch. That said, with 9 fully operational M1A1s, 4 fully operational M2s (including onboard ATGM teams), our fire support fully intact, and a decent ammo situation, I suspect the straggling ENY company would not have had a decisive impact.

* Our losses consisted of 7 x M3 destroyed, and 1 x M1A1 with a fuel leak.

That is a very humble billet. Are you sure you don't want anything sexier?

Not unless you'd like me to. Happy to start at the bottom and work my way up.

I'm unsure about Acre and Teamspeak. Do we use it for SB or it it an Arma thing only?

Hi Paladin

Have registered and offered to take the CSS this Saturday.

That is a very humble billet. Are you sure you don't want anything sexier?

Um no it isn't.

A M1 with no ammo is just a roadblock.

A M1 that can't move is a roadblock in the wrong spot.

"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics."

- Gen. Robert H. Barrow, USMC (Commandant of the Marine Corps) noted in 1980

Not unless you'd like me to. Happy to start at the bottom and work my way up.

I'm unsure about Acre and Teamspeak. Do we use it for SB or it it an Arma thing only?

I've put you in a junior M3 slot -- see my post on the UO site.

Sadly, we use vanilla TS, not ACRE. ACRE is a TS plugin for Arma. Arma allows third-party programs to directly access runtime code, so ACRE can do things like check to see whether a LOS exists between transmitting and receiving parties, the distance between them, and other factors affecting signal propagation.

Steel Beasts doesn't allow that kind of integration with third-party apps. So, we would be using basic whisper lists and Channel Commander, in conjunction with separate TS channels for each platoon. Actually, the number of radio nets will depend on the number of attendees. Last week, with seven participants, we got by with a single net. If more people attend this week, then I think we may have to have a troop (company) net, and 2 platoon nets. The platoon leaders will need whisper lists to connect to the troop net.

As I noted at UO, if we start seeing multiple persons per vehicle, then I think whisper lists for each vehicle are indispensable due to the volume of intra-vehicle crosstalk.

Um no it isn't.

A M1 with no ammo is just a roadblock.

A M1 that can't move is a roadblock in the wrong spot.

"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics."

- Gen. Robert H. Barrow, USMC (Commandant of the Marine Corps) noted in 1980

That's very true, but I meant that in this mission, the CSS elements are largely superfluous. The mission is only 60 minutes long. Fuel is a non-issue. Ammo might be more of an issue, but we start with a full load and we've got "overkill" on the CSS front. There are something like 5-6 refuel and supply vehicles. Nearly one for each combat vehicle!

Vehicle recovery is likely the most pressing need, and I actually had to add an M88 for that (there being none in the original version).

Hello,

Just signed up a your UO forum site. This Saturday at 6:00 EST right? And the TS channel details?

TS server address: 70.42.74.59:9987

Also, please familiarize yourself with radio communications procedures, using the guide here: 6.3 Zedic's Radio Procedure Guide

Yes, 2200z is 6PM (US) DST. Once we switch back to Standard Time, 2200z would be 5PM EST