Organizing weekly "hardcore" SB mission

MDF

Incidentally, yesterday UK Armour tried the "Habighorst Attack" mission (the UO mission from last week). Tankhunter CO'd and ordered a crossing at the eastern, wooded portion of the river. Although we still took losses from enemy artillery and AT rockets after crossing, we did manage to get to the objective with significant remaining combat power and earned a victory.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Incidentally, yesterday UK Armour tried the "Habighorst Attack" mission (the UO mission from last week). Tankhunter CO'd and ordered a crossing at the eastern, wooded portion of the river. Although we still took losses from enemy artillery and AT rockets after crossing, we did manage to get to the objective with significant remaining combat power and earned a victory.

It was a good mission.

Just don't tell the Germans we were in there equipment.

And especially don't tell the Americans they were the Opfor. LoL

Well I'd differ there because unless you are playing a small mission your "call sign" might be hard to locate (esp. if you are using a format you or your superior aren't familiar with).

Oh, we don't differ there. I was thinking of a small mission. I was going to include an aside about that, but didn't. Probably should have.

Another good mission last week, albeit one that ended prematurely before the climactic enemy counterattack due to a scripting error. Afterwards, and with the kind permission of the Australian and New Zealand authorities, we practiced platoon-level tactics at BG ANZAC's training range.

After a record attendance level last week, we are re-upping the "Red Decision Point Attack" mission for this week. Signup info here.

• 2 weeks later...

This past Saturday, we played a modified version of the "Red Decision Point Attack" mission by Lt. Henkel. Although we were defeated by the Soviet horde,* we set another record for attendance and had an excellent time all around.

I can tell you that, as a junior tank commander in a reserve platoon, it was rather dramatic and unsettling hearing our platoon leader relaying the grim SITREPs from our sister platoons and waiting for our turn in the meatgrinder. When we were finally committed, we gave the advancing Soviets a bloody nose before being wiped out. (My tank succumbed to a 4,600m shot from a T-80. Hmmm :heu:)

* As I only discovered after the mission, the English version of the briefing omits mention of the fact that our company could call on two additional companies from the brigade reserve via trigger. That would've turned the tide for sure, as our lone company(+) (6 x Leo2A4, 7 x Ulan, 3 x Jaguar) managed to gut the first echelon Soviet battalion.

Edited by MDF
Typo

Guys, you who remember and miss the ARRC days should really try to join up in the UO, it's the closest thing to ARRC we can get without re-launching ARRC :)

And there are many new players from the UO community that just got SB so some seasoned SB players would be welcome to balance it up :)

UO_1_zps91a24a72.jpg~original

4th platoon last UO event moving to Footswamp :gun:

/KT

It is indeed. But their goals and aims are the same as ARRC, real life coms (bigges issue right now), realistic way to fight etc etc. They/we try to man every tank (some of them want FMT...) and we got some rigid planing and AARs going so yeah its NOT ARRC but it is as close as you can come nowadays.

/KT

An OUTSTANDING mission yesterday....with seventeen participants, we shattered the previous record (12), which had been set only the week before.

OK, so we didn't prevail on the battlefield, but it has been said that the mission in question (Zipuli's "Tank Company in Attack") is another "Kobayashi Maru"-type character-building exercise.

And we need to work on our comms procedures, as is evident from the AAR thread.

But, all in all, I'm very excited about where this is heading.

It is indeed. But their goals and aims are the same as ARRC, real life coms (bigges issue right now), realistic way to fight etc etc. They/we try to man every tank (some of them want FMT...) and we got some rigid planing and AARs going so yeah its NOT ARRC but it is as close as you can come nowadays.

/KT

Out of curiosity, what are the principal differences between ARRC and the UO missions so far?

Organisation = nothing really. Only major thing was that we had a standard "Crew" that was COing, platoonleading, FSO etc so we got well drilled together then we had regular drop ins that knew how it worked and (mostly) worked well within the platoons. So pretty much where UO will be in the future as long as we keep going in this pace.

And we had "drills" event so we focused on for example Unoposed bridge crossing in company and then opposed bridge crossing in company strength and mixed it with normal scenarios. The focus and aims/goals was exactly like UO has it now with realismen, how to work within the Coy etc etc.

So ARRC was what UO is heading to be pretty much, thats why I dare to say that UO is as close you can get to ARRC. :)

(Its also the reason I play with UO on regular basis now :) )

/KT

Oh, ARRC also had Ghost with Gaybar... UO will never have that... :cvcys:

Organisation = nothing really. Only major thing was that we had a standard "Crew" that was COing, platoonleading, FSO etc so we got well drilled together then we had regular drop ins that knew how it worked and (mostly) worked well within the platoons. So pretty much where UO will be in the future as long as we keep going in this pace.

Some of us had discussed the possibility of persistent platoon assignments a few weeks back. I thought it would be a good idea for the reasons you suggest. Also, having stable platoon membership would facilitate independent platoon training -- it's easier for 3-6 guys in a platoon to find a good mutual time for practice sessions than it is for the entire group to do so. Still, one experienced member of UO thought it would be difficult to find enough members who will attend consistently to make this approach work. Let's see where it goes.

In the interim, I have no problem if a group of guys want to be in the same platoon with each other week after week. Just let me know and I will assign slots accordingly. That said, I assume that tanks are the most popular vehicle (I know you're an exception to this rule :) ), and, if I am correct, we can't have the same people gobble up the coveted positions week after week. Perhaps not a problem, as I do plan to feature tank-heavy OOBs for the near future.

And we had "drills" event so we focused on for example Unoposed bridge crossing in company and then opposed bridge crossing in company strength and mixed it with normal scenarios. The focus and aims/goals was exactly like UO has it now with realismen, how to work within the Coy etc etc.

Per our "charter," training missions or drills are acceptable:

(6) Play a mix of training- and (for lack of a better word) "tactically"-oriented missions. Training missions are those with a specific learning objective. "Tactical" missions are those in which we holistically apply our training during a "real-world" operation. The two mission types may often blur together in practice.

(7) Training missions will focus on battle command and collective tasks at the platoon level and above (e.g., hasty attack, IPB, battle drills, overwatch movement, breaching operations) rather than individual skills (e.g., gunnery) or UI skills ("How do I send a graphic?").

Did ARRC typically run a "drill"/training mission followed by a "tactical" mission during the same session? Or just one?

So ARRC was what UO is heading to be pretty much, thats why I dare to say that UO is as close you can get to ARRC. :)

(Its also the reason I play with UO on regular basis now :) )

/KT

Yeah, it's developing nicely. I think we just need to get a set of formal SOPs out there and make sure everyone is familiar with them, especially for comms (both pregame setups and in-game execution).

Oh, ARRC also had Ghost with Gaybar... UO will never have that... :cvcys:

Well, UO TacSat has a strict "Don't ask, don't tell" policy and in the interest of equality, we would have to have a hetero-bar as well. :bigsmile:

We won a fairly convincing victory in last week's mission, "The Gauntlet," taking the objective while deftly sidestepping the enemy's counterpunch and inflicting disproportionate losses on him (40 kills as against just 6 losses (three of which were from a single platoon that hit a buried minefield)). AAR discussion here.

This week, we're trying another one of the Steel Beasts "classic" missions, "Are They Attacking Here." Sign-up info here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This week's mission is episode 5 of the "Brave Rifles" campaign series, featuring an understrength US armored cavalry troop attacking to establish blocking positions and conduct follow-on reconnaissance.

Signup details here.

Note that we are again starting at 2100 GMT, one hour earlier than our previous standard start time.

You or the person who is going to be the CO maybe interested in an AAR I wrote on that a few years ago when we ran it the first time.

Its in this section (but a few years back).

Thanks. We'll have to wait until after the mission to look at it, for fear of spoilers. Unless... is the mission is broken somehow?