Organizing weekly "hardcore" SB mission

MDF

After a rousing victory in Zipuli's "Tank Company in Attack" mission last week, we're sticking with Euro kit again this week in the hope that it will again bring us luck. This week's mission is another Zipuli special, "Here Come the Bastards." Swedish Strv-122's and CV90/40-Bs against "invading" Spanish forces.

Signup info here.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This week's mission is Grenny's "NTC Bergen Squadron Assault,"* featuring Challenger 2's, Warriors, and Scimitars. Reserve your boiling vessel carrier here. (Note that we're again starting at 2100 GMT, one our earlier than our previous regular start time.)

* Subsequently renamed "NTC Bergen Counterattack."

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend's mission (Saturday, 2100 GMT) is "FINSWE BG - Part 1 (FIN)," featuring a Finnish mixed tank/IFV company attacking to secure a Russian-held town, supported by a (computer-controlled) Swedish company.

Mission file and signup info here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a video of a training mission conducted by a few of our guys yesterday.

nSkVPNLSY0I

I'm still figuring out the whole video capture/upload thing. The quality of the original file is very good, but the youtube upload is only in 360p for some reason.:c:

Also attached is a still shot of the control graphics.

56e83d0e64cde_UO_EasyTankCompanyinAttack

56e83d0e64cde_UO_EasyTankCompanyinAttack

Edited by MDF

• 2 weeks later...

This week's mission is "Spanish BG," in which a Spanish mixed tank/IFV company attempts to penetrate an enemy delaying force in order to seize river crossing sites before the retreating enemy main force can escape.

Feel free to join us over on the United Ops TS server at 2100z (that's 4PM US Eastern Time, now that we've gone back to Standard Time)

Here is my OPORD:

(Mission graphics here)

FROM CO 2/II/6 Bn ("Las Navas")

TASK ORGANIZATION:

CO

XO

Recce section

2 x Centauro (TACON)

1 x M113/FO (3/B)

1st Platoon

4 x Pizarro

1 x M113/FO (4/B)

2nd Platoon

4 x Leo2E

CSS

2 x MAN SX45 supply

1 x Wisent ARV

1 x M113A3/Medic

DS: 18 x M109A3 SP howitzers

1. SITUATION

A. Terrain & Weather

Terrain in AO consists of a central valley of low rolling hills, surrounded by hills offering good flanking fields of fire into the valley. Scattered trees and underbrush create a minor hindrance to LOS but offer little concealtment for enemy units.

Weather in AO is generally clear. Visibility appears to be approximately 3,000m.

B. Enemy.

The enemy brigade north of our sector has been defeated and is withdrawing eastward. Its left flank (lying in our sector) is protected by a battalion (-) of light infantry, including ATGMs, supported by a company (-) of relatively modern Russian tanks. The enemy force in 2/6 Bn sector is expected to conduct a delay in order to permit the enemy brigade to secure the river crossing in the area indicated on map trace.

C. Friendly.

To our north, II/3rd Infantry Bn ("Toledo") was conducting a frontal pursuit of the ENY Bde but lost contact. Its main elements are now replenishing while elements of Cav. Grp. Santiago seek to reestablish contact. Our battalion, II/6 is conducting a parallel pursuit to cut the ENY Bde line of retreat.

2. MISSION.

Company 2/II/6Bn attacks as battalion vanguard to seize river crossing site and sever ENY line of retreat.

3. EXECUTION.

A. Concept of Operation.

My intent is to advance rapidly in order occupy battle positions in or near OBJ by H + 65, in order to engage retreating enemy elements before they can establish defenses at the crossing site. This will be a "reconnaissance pull" -driven operation in which the main body of the company will advance in a column formation, preceded by a recce screen. When the recce screen makes contact, it will suppress with indirect fires while attempting to locate a bypass route. When a bypass is located, the recce element will either continue to precede the company or, if infeasible, continue to fix the enemy with indirect fires as a section of the next platoon in the company column takes over as recce screen. Once the company column is through the gap, the fixing element will fall in at the back of the column. Repeat as necessary. The fire support officer will attempt to maintain on-call fire missions several kilimeters ahead of the recce screen in order to anticipate possible enemy BPs/OPs and permit immediate suppression.

B. Tasks to Maneuver Units.

1. Phase ADAM

2/D/Santiago: supplemented by 1 FO vehicle, cross LD immediately and conduct zone recce in southern half of company sector. Bypass enemy contacts or fix with indirect fires to facilitate forward passage of company. Lane SALLY is priority recce objective.

1/B: As head of main body column, follow approximately 2 km behind recce screen. Be prepared to bypass enemy forces identified by Recce force and assume recce mission (using 1 section plus FO vehicle).

2/B: Follow and assume 1/B.

2. Phase BRAD

2/D/Santiago: conduct brief visual recce of enemy strongpoint to identify targets for indirect fires, and conduct route recce of STELLA. Be prepared to conduct route recce of NANCY.

1/B: as fragged based on outcome of recce. Be prepared to bypass enemy forces identified by Recce force and assume recce mission.

2/B: Follow and assume 1/B.

3. Phase CARL

2/D/Santiago: conduct zone recce of southeastern half of company sector. Bypass or fix ENY elements encountered. Be prepared to conduct zone recce of northerastern half of sector if company uses lane NANCY.

1/B: as fragged based on outcome of recce. Be prepared to bypass enemy forces identified by Recce force and assume recce mission. Be prepared to occupy one or more indicated BPs in or near OBJ.

2/B: Follow and assume 1/B. Be prepared to occupy one or more indicated BPs in or near OBJ.

C. Fires.

FSO should attempt to place on-call missions on TRPs well in advance of recce screen, in order that missions are ready to fire when recce elements are in position to observe impact area. However, priority of fire goes to suppressing enemy elements encountered and being fixed.

D. Coordinating Instructions.

Contour spacing at 5m.

4. COMMAND & SIGNAL

CO and XO vehicles will bound from feature to feature near rear of combat elements of column in order to overwatch company movement.

Communication channels and call signs per SOP.

5. CSS

CSS elements will advance in column behind CO and XO. Be prepared to establish replen/repair sites at CSS 1, 2, or 3.

Edited by MDF

Thanks for leading us Paladin!

Was a good fight. The plan was sound, but sometimes OPFOR has the better plan ;)

They tried to shape us into the valley---

Good mission. Given the short amount of time we had to reach the objective, I had to try something radical. We didn't do terribly, but, ironically, I think we would have been better off with a more conventional attack right up "death valley."

Just a reminder ... in the .sce file, I suggest adding left/right boundary lines for the company sector. Also, in the briefing, maybe consolidate the SITREPs at the end into the "Enemy" section of paragraph 1.

Edited by MDF

Good mission. Given the short amount of time we had to reach the objective, I had to try something radical. We didn't do terribly, but, ironically, I think we would have been better off with a more conventional attack right up "death valley."

Just a reminder ... in the .sce file, I suggest adding left/right boundary lines for the company sector. Also, in the briefing, maybe consolidate the SITREPs at the end into the "Enemy" section of paragraph 1.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make a couple of adjustments.

The long way+minethreat is probably abit ambitious.

I'll add boundaries, but will do that in a way that the CO has enougth space to make own decisions. Initial idea was to give the timelimit IOT discourage very wide flanking manouvers. That backfired a bit.

The SITREPs deliberatly added after the OPORD. They are not meant to be part of it. Think it that way: You get orders from BN HQ at 1500 to run the attack at 1600. During that hour you receive further informations. As company CO you'll have to check: Is the BN order still valid?(I.e.: would the BN have given it, If they had those informations)

This week's mission is a modified version of Zipuli's "Silver Spear." A tank-heavy US company team attacks as part of a task force effort to breach enemy prepared defenses.

Mission file and signup info here.

Day: Saturday, 22 Nov. 2014, 2100 GMT

United Operations TS Server info here