Amazing WW1 pics

Marko

Very interesting pictures. #29 seems to have a burning tank hulk in the background too. It appears to be a French Char Saint-Chamond mounting a 3pdr low in the front center of the hull.

My wife's grandfather, deceased, served in WW1 and was a member of the American Legion organization for veterans after the war. The American Legion issued a photo album as a memorial with similar photos in a over-sized hard cover binding, approximately 18"-24" tall and about 12" wide containing hundreds of photos taken during the war.

No one wanted the book after her grandmother passed and the house was being cleaned out and they offered it to me. It's got many photos that most people don't usually see in regards to WW1. If I can remember where I put it, I'll have to dig it out and go through it again.

Very interesting pictures. #29 seems to have a burning tank hulk in the background too. It appears to be a French Char Saint-Chamond mounting a 3pdr low in the front center of the hull.

My wife's grandfather, deceased, served in WW1 and was a member of the American Legion organization for veterans after the war. The American Legion issued a photo album as a memorial with similar photos in a over-sized hard cover binding, approximately 18"-24" tall and about 12" wide containing hundreds of photos taken during the war.

No one wanted the book after her grandmother passed and the house was being cleaned out and they offered it to me. It's got many photos that most people don't usually see in regards to WW1. If I can remember where I put it, I'll have to dig it out and go through it again.

There's an excellent display showing what life was like in the trenches when you enter

Bovington Tank museum in the UK.

Complete with trenches with special effects and a various WW1 tanks.

You can even inspect the inside of one.

The WW1 area is one of my favourite parts of the museum.

Enlightening photos Marko. A different world back then. Hard to believe us humans made it this far in history on the planet.

Indeed it is

What's even more surprising is the world went to war again less then thirty years later.

And IMO, would have again had it not been for nukes.

Found this on another thread.

Check out pics 33/34.

http://www.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/wwi/introduction/

Extract from caption to Pic 33:

Many of the earlier models broke down frequently, or got bogged down in mud, fell into trenches, or, (slow-moving) were directly targeted by artillery.

This will sound only too familiar to members of UKA - especially when using the CR2. :)

Extract from caption to Pic 33:

Many of the earlier models broke down frequently, or got bogged down in mud, fell into trenches, or, (slow-moving) were directly targeted by artillery.

This will sound only too familiar to members of UKA - especially when using the CR2. :)

SILENCE HERETIC!!!!!!

English Tanks are the best in the world!!

(tanknutdave says so.)

:)