Norwegian army driving armoured vehicle using Oculus Rift

deees

From what I have read they have not perfected the Oculus rift yet.

They still have issues with the resolution and the device does not look robust enough for the military.

But what a good idea if they can resolve its issues

As the Major said still a ways to go.

How do you keep the cameras clean / stop them being damaged?

How practical is it to have to put these on / take them off every time you want to check your speed or look at a gauge or move around inside the vehicle?

What happens if the thing you want to look at outside is beyond the camera's field of view?

Maybe we will be carrying paint rounds in the future after all.

Edited by Gibsonm

It is sort of neat, actually a lower budget version of what the F-35 pilots get. But like you guys pointed out, it's going to have to be ruggedized for field use.

There's optics that can allow you to see your instruments, as well as the overlaid video from the outside, so it could be done so the driver/crew had the ability to see inside as well.

I wish Mr. Luckey would send back my Litton head mount I lent to him, he said it was useful for his design modifications for the Oculus.

How practical is it to have to put these on / take them off every time you want to check your speed or look at a gauge or move around inside the vehicle?

Yes. I can't even see the thing being of much use even in computer games/simulations - which is what it was originally designed for AFAIK. OK I suppose in a FPS game and your only input device is a mouse, the cursor of which appears in front of you, but what if you wish to look down to operate control keys or type messages? Anyone know?

Have it mounted on a helmet with the Oculus viewer flipping up and down quick like a welders mask, when it can be made a bit lighter and thinner.

Have all vehicle telemetry on screen with the press of a button.

There have been suggestions that the Rift will come with (or you'll be able to add) a camera that clips to the front of it - press a button and hey presto you're looking at the view from the camera instead of the game. Release the button after you've pressed the key you need and back into the game.

Immersion killer maybe, but no worse than looking down at a keyboard is anyway...

Have it mounted on a helmet with the Oculus viewer flipping up and down quick like a welders mask, when it can be made a bit lighter and thinner.

Have all vehicle telemetry on screen with the press of a button.

I see what you mean Brun, but you'd be doing a lot of flipping during a typical SB mission. But something like this (just found it on Gizmag.com) could be the answer perhaps.

http://www.gizmag.com/google-glass-virtual-keyboard/31934/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=8c56b3cec6-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-8c56b3cec6-91467309