Centauro and T-72 Turms

apelles

• Members

Both are BASED on the TURMS fire control system developed for the Ariete MBT. To which extent the implementation differs, we don't know yet. I expect that there will be differences. They may be as subtle as what you can see when comparing the Leopard 1A5 with the 2A4 fire control system (specifically in this example the question when to press dynamic lead), or the differences may be larger. We haven't had a chance to look at the T-72M4 or the Ariete yet.

Both are BASED on the TURMS fire control system developed for the Ariete MBT. To which extent the implementation differs, we don't know yet. I expect that there will be differences. They may be as subtle as what you can see when comparing the Leopard 1A5 with the 2A4 fire control system (specifically in this example the question when to press dynamic lead), or the differences may be larger. We haven't had a chance to look at the T-72M4 or the Ariete yet.

The T-72M4 and T-72 Turms is identical?

• 2 weeks later...
They may be as subtle as what you can see when comparing the Leopard 1A5 with the 2A4 fire control system (specifically in this example the question when to press dynamic lead)

Uh oh...I just checked the 1A5DK wiki and the 2A4 wiki, but didn't see any notes about this...

Is the procedure different? I thought with both of those you were lasing first, and then using dynamic lead any time the target was moving regardless of own vehicle's movements?

What happens in the 2A4 if I press the dynamic lead button when the target is static and I am moving?

For some reason I think I've been using dynamic lead like that all the time without any trouble, but I don't recall off the top of my head now!

• Members
What happens in the 2A4 if I press the dynamic lead button when the target is static and I am moving?

As the FCS already compensates for your own movement, pressing dynamic lead will cause "overcompensation", that is, the induction of lead in addition to the compensation of your own movement. This need not necessarily result in a miss, but certainly the deviation from the aimed spot will be bigger. Give it a try and look at the impact spots in the AAR, aiming for the same spot and pressing dyn lead on one pass, and not on the other. The impact point would be shifted in the direction of "apparent travel" of the target (or, against your own (horizontal) movement direction).

Doesn't the FCS apply both the required correction to the FCS and also counter-steer the turret to maintain the target aim point without gunner intervention?

It seems that if the FCS can accurately bring the gun to the correct alignment to both compensate the firer and target platforms' movement in the moving case, that it should also continue to do so as the target platform movement approaches (and eventually reaches) zero.

I can see that deriving target movement from noisy angular & (movement derived) range rates can increase error when this can be correctly and explicitly set to zero by a mode change, but this isn't the same as 'doubling the correction' or applying it twice.

• Members
Doesn't the FCS apply both the required correction to the FCS and also counter-steer the turret to maintain the target aim point without gunner intervention?

Only the (very small) lateral movement component of the firing platform (Verschleppungskorrektur). There is no parallax compensation, if that's what you're alluding to.

It seems that if the FCS can accurately bring the gun to the correct alignment to both compensate the firer and target platforms' movement in the moving case

...yes, if dynamic lead is being pressed...

that it should also continue to do so as the target platform movement approaches (and eventually reaches) zero.

Yes, except for the case of movement zero (or close to it). In that case, NOT pressing dynamic lead tells the fire control system that the turret's current angular velocity is used only to compensate for (apparent) parallax motion but not real movement by the target.