Cold War Clash

Marko

Tonight SVU and Target VU went head to head

In what can only be described as a Excellent cold war clash both sides fought very well.

But the night was Targets, They stopped us from achieving a primary objective.

To say it was close would be a understatement.

Five more minutes and we would have crossed the line. such are the fortunes of War. LoL

But all enjoyed the night and that is the main thing.

As soon as I have figured out how. I will post the AAR.

SS_00_17_43.jpg.00018210431f332d07df8ee8

SS_00_17_43.jpg.00018210431f332d07df8ee8

Tonight SVU and Target VU went head to head

In what can only be described as a Excellent cold war clash both sides fought very well.

But the night was Targets, They stopped us from achieving a primary objective.

To say it was close would be a understatement.

Five more minutes and we would have crossed the line. such are the fortunes of War. LoL

But all enjoyed the night and that is the main thing.

As soon as I have figured out how. I will post the AAR.

Looks like SVU had a huge preponderance of forces at the end.

Did anyone record a video of the event?

Sadly no video as Enigma couldn't make it on the night.

Don't know what the end state was but the start state was 2.5:1 in favour of SVU - which is quite a modest figure compared with the historic RL force ratios. Standby for a dropbox link to the aar.

The important thing is that this battle was fought fairly, and the joint debrief at mission end was a very friendly affair. Boths sides learned much from the experience. We look forward to a very pleasant relationship with our German cousins. :)

And salut to Dark Angel for coming up with such a cracking scenario.

Edited by Tjay

Thanks Tjay.

I have set up a drop box account for future events.

Thanks again, To all who participated looking forward to the next mission

Strange thing is higher command were ok about the result .

I was ordered to HQ, for a debrief and told to bring a blindfold.

I wonder what the surprise will be, I hope its cake. LoL

Servus,

Very good teamplay on red side.

Your recon battle was excellent. I think your recon guys had a big smiley in their face during the battle.

Also your fight with the mighty T-62 absolutly well played.

If I compare your perfomance in this battle with earlier games, I can say you made a big step forward.

cheers

D u k e

Edited by D u k e

Servus Duke

Many thanks for the compliments - they mean a lot to us. I know that everyone in UKA and SVU is very keen to continue good relations with the famous 911 Pnz Batt and we look forward to meeting you H2H in due course. If you have any ideas as to what such a scenario might be, please get in touch with Marko and/or Hoggydog through the usual channels.:)

Really looking forward to the next mission.

Both units should take a vote , Whether we continue from the previous mission.

Same map Nato reinforcements arrive just in the nick of time.

And conduct a hasty attack against the remaining soviets forces. (or something like that)

Or make a new mission with different era vehicles. Leo-2a4 Vs T-72m1.

Wish I could have participated but, alas, timezones...

Interesting that there were very few kills by the human participants, at least according to the score page in the AAR. Most of the kills were by "forces under your control."

Wouldn't have mattered as it was a "closed shop" affair which is entirely their prerogative.

From the earlier video related post for the same event:

Communications error here. This is an in house only game unless by special invite.

Wouldn't have mattered as it was a "closed shop" affair which is entirely their prerogative.

From the earlier video related post for the same event:

I might have been able to finagle a spot in one of the combat recce patrols.

If you don't turn up to football training during the week, you shouldn't expect to turn up on match day and go into the team. They're not closed teams, just finding their feet.

And the thing about Soviet V U is that we train with Soviet Equipment - in this instance the T62 - and attempt to use Soviet doctrine as much as possible. Anyone just turning up on the night, no matter how competent they might be with normal 'small unit' scenarios, would probably find themselves utterly bemused. And when you are running a Company of four platoons each of three tanks or BTR 80s, you depend on your platoon leaders knowing their stuff. Not that the Co Cdrs had the luxury of subordinates on the night. Mech Inf gets mighty 'interesting' when you dismount a whole company and find yourself with 60 (count em!) units under you personal control. :)

You were sorely missed.

you were indeed

Hope you can make the next event.

And the thing about Soviet V U is that we train with Soviet Equipment - in this instance the T62 - and attempt to use Soviet doctrine as much as possible. Anyone just turning up on the night, no matter how competent they might be with normal 'small unit' scenarios, would probably find themselves utterly bemused. And when you are running a Company of four platoons each of three tanks or BTR 80s, you depend on your platoon leaders knowing their stuff. Not that the Co Cdrs had the luxury of subordinates on the night. Mech Inf gets mighty 'interesting' when you dismount a whole company and find yourself with 60 (count em!) units under you personal control. :)

+1

Thanks Tjay for clarifying.

Visitors interested in soviet doctrine are always welcome, but if you want to participate in a

H2H event, We ask you turn up for are pre-event training missions.

SVU was formed to provide the SB community with a credible alternative to the AI Opfor.

As Tjay highlighted running a company is not easy. then you have to try to co-ordinate with The rest of the battalion it keeps even the most competent players very busy and takes Practice. Some RL issues meant I could not train with the rest of Unit for a couple of months

And it really showed in my performance against target.

Were always on the look out for new recruits.

So if your interested just PM me, Or drop along to are regular Monday night meetings

On team speak 20:00 BST. UK armour channel.

It does not matter if your a newbie or a experienced player all are welcome.

Interesting that there were very few kills by the human participants, at least according to the score page in the AAR. Most of the kills were by "forces under your control."

Well most of us were busy at the time to worry about shooting things.

You try running a battalion, plotting movement orders given 30 seconds earlier with just your mouse map graphics, verbal commands, managing an AI company's movement AND then engaging the enemy in person.

For example, the Tank Battalion:

Personally, I was too busy trying to get my 30 odd tanks moving in the right direction and using the right formation to worry about shooting anything. And I was only running 10 of them.

(Thanks Killjoy, Hoggy & Nebs for stepping up in Killjoy's place. :) )

Apologies for the sarkiness, but having a new player turn up and interfere with our honed battle plan is not good for our cohesion.

Well most of us were busy at the time to worry about shooting things.

You try running a battalion, plotting movement orders given 30 seconds earlier with just your mouse map graphics, verbal commands, managing an AI company's movement AND then engaging the enemy in person.

For example, the Tank Battalion:

Personally, I was too busy trying to get my 30 odd tanks moving in the right direction and using the right formation to worry about shooting anything. And I was only running 10 of them.

I didn't mean to disparage anyone's skills. I should have spelled out my thoughts: what had occurred to me was that given the primitive nature of the T-62's fire controls (Leo AS1 isn't that much better), it's unsurprising that the sharpshooter AI racks up many more kills than human players. However, your point about humans having to spend most of their time shepherding a large flock via the map view rather than looking through gunsights is at least as plausible as my hypothesis.

Apologies for the sarkiness, but having a new player turn up and interfere with our honed battle plan is not good for our cohesion.

I didn't mean to be presumptuous....A few weeks ago during a UK Armour Sunday session, the possibility of my participation was discussed. Given that timezone issues preclude my attendance at SVU's training sessions. it was suggested that I might take a recce slot (which don't require as much familiarity with Soviet-style formation maneuvers). As it turned out, the SVU-TARGET mission was postponed to a (European) weeknight, so I was unable to participate anyway.

I didn't mean to disparage anyone's skills. I should have spelled out my thoughts: what had occurred to me was that given the primitive nature of the T-62's fire controls (Leo AS1 isn't that much better), it's unsurprising that the sharpshooter AI racks up many more kills than human players. However, your point about humans having to spend most of their time shepherding a large flock via the map view rather than looking through gunsights is at least as plausible as my hypothesis.

I didn't mean to be presumptuous....A few weeks ago during a UK Armour Sunday session, the possibility of my participation was discussed. Given that timezone issues preclude my attendance at SVU's training sessions. it was suggested that I might take a recce slot (which don't require as much familiarity with Soviet-style formation maneuvers). As it turned out, the SVU-TARGET mission was postponed to a (European) weeknight, so I was unable to participate anyway.

That's correct I asked MDF/Paladin if he would like to join us Hedge.

• Moderators

Well, I don't think it was as much to do with the AI as it was with there just being a lot of units. I personally got about 15 to 20 hits on target with the T-62, but only one registered a kill (plenty of damage dealt though). Each time in an engagement, my other tanks in the company dealt the killing blow to the enemy, which really just comes down to luck. That said, I don't have too much trouble hitting the target in the T-62, especially with the better ammo now available for it. Any KE shot between 0 to 1500 or 2000 meters is pretty easy to score a hit. The trouble is if you don't kill the target with the hit then you have to wait about 15 minutes for the gun to reload before hitting it again, and that is where massed fire becomes essential. :gun:

Yes, it was a good and fun match. I hope that we have future ones to hone each other's skills. Perhaps we will see you in one Paladin, it would be up your alley.

Would enjoy running that mission against a US, VU but it would require a playable M-48/60

To represent the era the mission was set in.

Yes, it was a good and fun match. I hope that we have future ones to hone each other's skills. Perhaps we will see you in one Paladin, it would be up your alley.

There are, I suspect, quite a few of us with a more than passing understanding of Soviet Doctrine (since "know your enemy" is part of the job description). :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19518131/OTW%20Mech/Mech%20Bn%20atk.ppt

Something I put together with a product you maybe familiar for one of our training establishments (I've removed the slide headers, videos, Live AAR file, etc.). Its part of a series that covers the Recon, CRP, Advance, Encounter Battle, Quick and Deliberate Attacks, Mobile and Area Defence, Obstacle crossing, etc.

Edited by Gibsonm