Ethernet cable advice

hoggydog

CAT 5 or CAT 6 will do what you need.

I wont say its "cat proof" but to get that rating it needs to enusre a limited amount of packet loss/reliability (CAT 6 is better than CAT 5).

If the cat really is a problem buy some garden hose and thread the Ethernet cable through it or put it under some mats or something.

I doubt you'll buy off the shelf "cat proof" cabling with a thicker skin or something.

But WiFi, while convenient doesn't guarantee good performance.

802.11 ac gives you "maybe" (on a good day with no interference) 500 megabits per second (500 Mbit/s).

If you need 30m of cable that implies the Router is not right next to the device. All you need is one stone wall or a sheet of glass for the reception range to nose dive.

Cat 6 (assuming you have a Router and Ethernet port on the machine that supports it) can give you twice that out to the 100m limit of the cable.

Of course you Internet connection may top out before you reach either limit. :)

But then his cats might get at that nice Cat 6 cable. (note the pun)

One also has to physically run the cable from point A to point B, which can be a hassle in a home if the cables are to be hidden.

If the wireless signal is weak in one or more spots, then a simple plug-in signal booster device will take care of it.

Then there are also the wireless plug-in powerline devices such as the ones from Netgear that use the existing AC wiring to pass the Ethernet signal between two adapters.

Well of course its up to him, but one option replaces "a" cable AND answers his question.

The other requires him to:

Buy bits and pieces (if say he doesn't already have a WiFi capable modem/router).

Setup his WiFi security.

Setup his WiFi IP address.

Setup his port forwarding again.

Edited by Gibsonm

Thanks for the advice guys,

Wireless is a no go, there are 3 solid granite walls of at least 1 ft thick between the router and the PC.

A mains power solution is also not an option as I think there would be too much EM noise in the power circuit.

So a decent quality CAT6 cable should do the job.

• Members

Only WiFi-cables are immune to cat bites. Conventional CAT-5 and CAT-6 will usually withstand five cat bites (six, respectively).

That said, putting everything into a cable canal will usually harden the infrastructure against dendrus felidus domesticatus.

Ask a man who says, 'I never have any problem with WiFi', where his laptop is and he will most often reply, 'About 3m from my router'. :)

Can't say that here. On my wireless network I've got a tv, a Roku box, a printer, and a tablet computer that are used in remote areas of the house. the tv and Roku are about 20 feet away from the router. The wall between the router and tv has a microwave, electric stove, and refrigerator on the other side between the two devices.

Can't say that here. On my wireless network I've got a tv, a Roku box, a printer, and a tablet computer that are used in remote areas of the house. the tv and Roku are about 20 feet away from the router. The wall between the router and tv has a microwave, electric stove, and refrigerator on the other side between the two devices.

And how is the RadHaz programme going. :)