Units don't always align with their BPs

Rangoon

I have noticed, playing 3.017 beta, that frequently I will jump to a unit (so far always a SINGLE tank which was divided away from his unit, and so far only M1A1(HA)) which was sent on a route and given a battle position. When I jump to him, he is facing a wrong direction, and suddenly turns to face the correct one.

• 3 weeks later...

I continue to observe this in 3.011 now that I'm back to playing that version. I send a unit off on a route, with a BP at the final waypoint. I am off managing other units, then jump direct to the unit in question after it has arrived at its BP (sometimes several minutes have gone by, sometimes just a few seconds). As soon as I am hopped into the observer view on the unit, it (all vehicles in that platoon/unit) starts orienting and positioning as if it suddenly woke up from a slumber and realized it was at a BP.

Is anyone else observing this behavior? There are no enemy contacts on the map at the time of witnessing this.

Is anyone else observing this behavior?

I have.

In an edited version of one of the Camp Hornfelt scenarios.

Section of M1s arrives at the BP and stops. My section is already there and properly oriented. The second section retains the facing of their approach (which in this case was roughly a right angle to the BP). There was no threat present at the time.

I thought at first they were reloading. But I thought it strange they didn't first orient properly in the BP.

I've noticed this too, perhaps it's caused by observing a unit. ;)

Heh, yep, most likely! :)

Maybe we could add a "sneak to unit" rather than "jump to unit". Then we could at least hope to observe what exactly they're doing before they suddenly decide to take up the BP proper. Or, maybe it's best not to know that...

I have.

In an edited version of one of the Camp Hornfelt scenarios.

Section of M1s arrives at the BP and stops. My section is already there and properly oriented. The second section retains the facing of their approach (which in this case was roughly a right angle to the BP). There was no threat present at the time.

I thought at first they were reloading. But I thought it strange they didn't first orient properly in the BP.

Interestingly enough, I'm also seeing it in a modified Camp Hornfelt mission. GaryOwen, what black magic have you woven into these missions? I assume you sold your soul to the devil to make such awesome missions, so perhaps this is just some fallout from that arrangement.

Maybe we could add a "sneak to unit" rather than "jump to unit". Then we could at least hope to observe what exactly they're doing before they suddenly decide to take up the BP proper.

You could try running the mission in the mission editor and watch using the camera tool.

You could try running the mission in the mission editor and watch using the camera tool.

Good idea. I ran the mission in the editor. I placed a route for the first element (of the tank I started out in), and then went to "view" from a location near the BP. It took up the BP just fine. I jumped to it to verify it didn't have anything more to do, but it was happy with its work.

Then, while still "being" that original unit, I told another element to take up a route and BP. I observed this element go to its final waypoint and just sit there. I jumped to the lead tank of this element and it sprang into action taking up the BP.

I then set a route and BP for the first element, and observed it. Once it got to the BP, it just sat there in formation facing the same direction it was on for the last leg of the route. Once I jumped to it, it sprang into action changing heading and taking up positions within the BP.

Neither element was going far, so neither elment fell out of formation en route (and both tanks in the element were stopped, not repositioning for route formation). Neither had fired any rounds, so neither had to reload or take care of any other tasks that I can think of before getting into the BP.

Neither had fired any rounds, so neither had to reload or take care of any other tasks that I can think of before getting into the BP.

Are you sure? If you'll run the short test I attached to my post above, you'll notice the AI section of M1A1-HAs does reload when it stops (replacing the battlecarry round, I presume) even though it has not fired.

Are you sure? If you'll run the short test I attached to my post above, you'll notice the AI section of M1A1-HAs does reload when it stops (replacing the battlecarry round, I presume) even though it has not fired.

I'm sure. In my first test, all units are "battle ready" so I assume they weren't doing any reloading. But to be positive, I tried it again. This time, I went to each vehicle of the element and fired a round from the main gun. Then I had them stop and reload. Got the green reloading message, waited for them to stop reloading, and saw the right numbers in the ammo count. Reload All, no response. So jumped to another element, then told the first element to go somewhere and at the final waypoint take a BP facing the opposite direction of their last leg. I viewed the map to watch their approach to the last waypoint and they both just stopped, held the formation of their route, and froze. I hopped into the lead tank's F8 view and they sprang to life. I verified no change to ammo count, no reloading message. Reload All, no response from either vehicle.

I'm sure they're really busy with something critically important, but I don't know what. Probably watching YouTube videos of Steel Beasts.