"Dickers"

Kingtiger

I'm working on a scenario Afghanistan/Iraq COIN style and try to have a "dicker" on a MC (Taliban spotter) that moves infront of NATO troops, stop ups and moves when NATO gets to close, giving taliban forces in the area intel of NATO whereabouts.

However I cant figure out a way to keep NATO AI troops from firing at the dicker. Right now I have tried Red MC with civilians on and no weapons, AI still fires. I tried a neutral (civilian) spotter but he does not send the info to the talibans...

Any suggestions?

/KT

Well, I want to have a dicker for the player to see... They are not allowed to shoot at them as they arent armed but they KNOW they are giving intel to enemy.

Maybe I just use civilian and use a penalty zone and "show to enemy if" and attach it to the civilian dicker being in the area.

/KT

Well, I want to have a dicker for the player to see... They are not allowed to shoot at them as they arent armed but they KNOW they are giving intel to enemy.

Maybe I just use civilian and use a penalty zone and "show to enemy if" and attach it to the civilian dicker being in the area.

/KT

I believe that "penalty zones" in the strict sense cannot have control logic attached to them. And, the control logic that you can attach to regular regions does not have an option to reveal a unit to another side. So, this approach won't work. (If I'm mistaken, someone please show me the light!)

You can accomplish your objective in a convoluted way by using regular regions coupled with events or conditions to send text messages to the Taliban side, but this requires a human player on the Taliban. Depending on your tolerance of tedium, you can extend this functionality to a computer-controlled Taliban by using events/conditions to route Taliban forces based on the dickers' SPOTREPs. That is a lot of work. You can take a shortcut by using the SPOTREPs to spawn Taliban units where appropriate.

you could try putting him on a different side that is neutral to NATO but friendly to the Taliban?

Allied sides share a common operating picture for "Blue Force Tracking" but not "Red Force Tracking". IOW, The Taliban side will know the position of all forces on the "dicker" side, but not the enemies spotted by the "dicker" side.

Allied sides share a common operating picture for "Blue Force Tracking" but not "Red Force Tracking". IOW, The Taliban side will know the position of all forces on the "dicker" side, but not the enemies spotted by the "dicker" side.

You sure about that?

Pretty sure both Blue and Red forces are tracked across "Allies".

You sure about that?

Pretty sure both Blue and Red forces are tracked across "Allies".

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but I'm using "Blue" and "Red" in a generic sense to mean friendly and enemy, respectively.

Before posting, I created a test mission with a Blue (in the SB side/color sense) tank platoon, a Red (Taliban) armed civilian many kilometers from the Blue unit, and a Green unarmed civilian pedestrian (the "dicker") in visual range of the Blue unit. Blue and Red were mutually enemy, Blue and Green were mutually neutral. Red and Green were mutually allied. Map updates were fully enabled for all sides.

Ran the mission in the editor "test" mode. In the planning phase:

1. The dicker appeared in Red's map view, and vice versa.
  2. The dicker did not appear in Blue's map view, and vice versa.

During the execution phase:

1. The dicker appeared in Red's map view, and vice versa (same as planning phase).
  2. The Blue unit appeared in the dicker's map view (different than planning phase), but not Red's.
  3. The dicker did not appear in Blue's map view (same as planning phase).

I also reran the test with a single civilian on Red, in visual range of the Blue unit. The civvy was unarmed in one run and "armed-if" with a RPG 3 minutes into the mission in the second run. In the first run, the Blue unit appeared on Red's display, but not vice versa. It was the same in the second run until the civvy became armed; then he appeared on Blue's map view and was engaged.

So, it appears that when two sides are mutually neutral, they do not exchange either friendly or enemy situation awareness information (what I referred to generically as "Blue Force" and "Red Force Tracking," respectively). When two sides are allied, they exchange friendly situation data, but not enemy situation data. Additionally, it appears that a side does not issue SPOTREPs for unarmed civilian pedestrians[*] on an enemy side. (More specifically, it's my understanding that the sim does not perform LOS checks between friendly units, and that friendly situation data is obtained strictly by SPOTREPs. I thinks it's reasonable to infer further that no LOS checks are performed between units of neutral sides, or between a unit and an unarmed civilian pedestrian on an enemy side.)

Bottom line for the OP: you can use pedestrians as dickers, but not civilian vehicles.

[*] I confirmed the OP's observation that "civilian" vehicles on the enemy side will be engaged even if they are unarmed.