ARRC Missions 1 and 2

CharlieB

I have uploaded my latest scenarios. have been working on them for a while and hope they work ok. the idea is that msn 2 wil follow on from 1 and further scenarios can be developed.

Feedback as allways is welcome to ensure improvments etc can be made in future scenarios. Those who write scenarios know how long this takes.

many thanks.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/262/p13_fileid/1572

Edited by CharlieB
Added hyperlink

A couple of us tried out Mission 1 as a Co-op and I have the following points to pass your way:

1) The ASLAV PC's, ASLAV 25's and the M113's were "Impotent". Not sure why.

2) The recce screen and Hummers had "Deflect shot" enabled. Again, not sure why.

3) The briefing could explain the use of the triggers, as well as the concept behind victory and defeat conditions. Our mission ended at approx the 30 min mark, just before we were getting ready to ambush the EN forces with our tanks. Not sure why.

4) Having the EN spawn at the NAI's defeats the purpose of having recce. If the recce can't detect EN movement, then why include them?

5) Boundary line. It was there, but we didn't have any friendly forces to the south. So why have it at all?

Perhaps some of the other guys will have some other points too, but I'd be willing to give the scenario another try if these updates were made. I saved the AAR and can send it to you if you PM me your e-mail. It's approx 10 MB. Thanks for the mission!

Tacbat roger that.

I will have to have a look at it again. It was a while ago when I was tinkering with it. I thought I had finished them but may be this is not the case. As I recall I think Msn 2 was more playable than Msn 1. these two may not turn out to be my finest work.

I will get back to you.

In the mean time I have another that I have finished this week. Half Sqn adance to contact with 2 x obstacle xings to compete.

This time the flanking formations have been scripted. I must admit this is something that I have just not done in the past.

The Grouping includes the Engr Vehs required to facilitate breeches and logistic elements to conduct resupply and repair. If the Leo 2 Tps get a little carried away then this would be required.

One annoying facter is that in the BETA the inf dont re-bus before their ride hits the road. This unfortunatly means that the dismounts get left behind for the computor controlled units. Be aware that the flanking formation to the south is a partnership for peace (PFP) nation and is therefore equiped with soviet era equipments.

I have not yet done the scoring (a black art in its own right) for this one but would be grateful if you or anyone else would look at the gameplay in order to make sure things run.

Will also upload to the downloads area.

Many thanks.

Charlie B.

56e83c6a800f4_HalfCoy()AdvwithObs(WMUPZ)

Half Coy (+) Adv with Obs (WMU + PZ) V1 final.zip

On the way.

Thanks mate, got it!

turns out I already have it thoe, but it seems like Charlie is using another version then what we have, I could always just rename the hgt to hes name so I could play the scenario, but if he has another (betther!) version I want that :debile2:

Ok, perhaps I ought to clarify things a bit, particularly as its mentioned on the other forum as well.

The first version (properly versions) of the Salisbury plain map I uploaded were what I call a preview. It used the height map supplied with the game. I asked Sean some months ago that this be taken this one down. I have what I believe are good reasons for doing this. Suffice to say one member of Esim was happy to drop hints about having a map of the area at Nato conferences, but didnt seem so keen to actually include it in the game. I dont quite know why. I havent asked exorbitant prices, or even expected to cover costs. Suffice to say after having it uploaded for over a year it was clear they werent interested, so I took it down. This is partly because it eventually occurred to me (call me dense) that if they ever did get a British military contract, I would be rather daft leaving it up so the MOD could download it for free. This may sound a bit unlikely, but at least one guy I talked to on Arrse worked for a defence company in relation to esim and was aware of it. Suffice to say if Esim ever wants to put it in the game, they know where to get hold of me. As they have done for the past 2 and a half years I might add. :)

You may suggest this is excessively arrogant of me. I do hope not. Esim are of course free to pick and choose whatever they wish to put in their product. However considering that for the past 5 years ive contributed a very considerable amount of work to them which despite its general excellence none of which has ever been used, one might say it was the straw that broke the camels back. Particularly on the back of the continual assurances that we would soon be introducing British equipment, in which context this map would have proven very useful. Besides, I think there has been a general misunderstanding of this place. its not a British training area, its a NATO one, that Canadian, Swedish, US Army and Marines, German and French army have used in the past 10 years. In that kind of context I find that the complete lack of interest somewhat bewildering.

The height map Charlie refers to is one that Sean kindly modified to me so that when the original map was updated in it, it would display it in OS grid. I dont recall giving it to Charlie, but If I did I would suggest that you clear it with Sean before you upload the Height map on the site, since its his work. The terrain map is all mine, but frankly would rather that not be uploaded at all. I do have a later version of Charlies map which uses this heightmap, which almost completely covers the training area and adds a bit more in besides (particularly Ludgershall). However for the reasons already denoted, I dont see it ever being likely that it will be available anytime soon.

I would point out that Im happy for everyone who downloaded the map to still make scenarios on it, particularly Charlie who frankly I think has done the best work with it. But I would rather my terrain map otherwise not be distributed. I hope this doesnt anger anyone, but considering the time and money spent on it I hope you can perhaps understand my curious logic.

Thank you.

I updated one of the original works to include the fictitious beril vally river which runs to the east of imbernin the low ground. this is on the awes template to force battle groups to conduct river crossing etc. i may have also narrowed rivers in places to allow the bridging equipment to function. having been a troop leader at warminster i know the ground well which is why i enjoy using stuarts excellent map.

I updated one of the original works to include the fictitious beril vally river which runs to the east of imbernin the low ground. this is on the awes template to force battle groups to conduct river crossing etc. i may have also narrowed rivers in places to allow the bridging equipment to function. having been a troop leader at warminster i know the ground well which is why i enjoy using stuarts excellent map.

And thats completely fine, Ive no problem with it. Like I say the only requests I have is that you ask sean before uploading his height map (which frankly I regard as belonging to him anyway) and that you dont upload my terrain map. You don't need the latter to use your excellent scenarios anyway. In fact, you don't need the height map for one of the earlier maps anyway.

As for anyone else who wants the map, the best I can offer is that you snag the terrain from one of Charlies Scenarios and use that. Thats the best I can offer at the moment Im afraid.

I am not entirely sure how I managed to get my hands on it in that case!

With reference to ARRC msn 1, I did some work on it last night and have adjusted the end of mission critera and flanking formations in line with previous recommendations.

I have included a flanking unit which can be playable if the trigger is selected.

I have got ready the height map and updated salisbury plain map if ok to upload. Seeing as though it is already included in previous scenarios it could be argued that it is already out there - I apologise in advance if this was not to be the case as it was to good not to use.

Please see attached Msn 1.

If OK I will upload unless KT can confirm that it is working with the data already sent.

PS this is the busiest I have seen activity for some time!!!!!

Charlie B.

56e83c6a8d095_ARRCHauneValleyMsn1_zip.d7

ARRC Haune Valley Msn 1.zip

KT,

Are you able to confirm that the scenario is now working. If not I will have to revisit and check the embed map function. As I recall you should not need to full detail if this is done.

Stuart, fully understand your predicament. I have long said that this would be an excellent simulation for the Royal Armoured Corps, Infantry, Royal Enginners etc etc, but that is up to the boys at ESIM and our Whitehall Warriors to determine what is required.

KT,

Are you able to confirm that the scenario is now working. If not I will have to revisit and check the embed map function. As I recall you should not need to full detail if this is done.

Stuart, fully understand your predicament. I have long said that this would be an excellent simulation for the Royal Armoured Corps, Infantry, Royal Enginners etc etc, but that is up to the boys at ESIM and our Whitehall Warriors to determine what is required.

Havent had the time to test it yet actually, playing SB is a weekend hobby for me nowadays unfortunly :/

KT,

Well there was a guy at the 2006 Itec who was in the TA (I think a major) who suggested it was exactly what he needed to train his guys in familiarity with Salisbury plain. His Regiment had a budget partly supplied from its Regimental Colonel (I cant recall what Regiment it was), which meant it had access to funds, which meant for some things they didnt need the MOD at all. Partially independent as it were. I think there was a good opportunity here to actually get some sales (particularly among some of the TA Cavalry Regiments) that was sadly overlooked. Particularly people like my local Regiment the Wessex Yeomanry, which had a remount role on Challenger2s. Even without including British equipment Im certain Esim could easily have chalked up some sales in this area with this map. Small beer I guess.

The only good thing about it is that I met some nice people, and people who actually have trained on Salisbury plain like yourself have had nothing but good to say about it. That means a lot. But I really look back on the 2 years I spent doing the map (in fact the past 5 years I spent working on SB2-SBPro) and I frankly wonder why I bothered. Hey Ho.

CHarlie, the haune valley thingy you attached further up, is that the same as the scenario on Salisbury or did you want me to just test to make new copy of the hgt map and rename it to fit your name of the hgt map?

No the Haune valley msn is the updated version following Tacbat's comments.

If the salisbury plain height map is causing a drama then I may send it to you via PM.

I just copy/pasted the salisbury plain and renamed the new one -0.hgt and that worked like a charm, just did a quick test and I reached "move 2"before I had to shut down (pity you dont have save game option in SB).

But its a bit hard to be ewerywhere when playing Singleplayer. this one should be played in Coop to get the most out of it.

Up to Move 2 I dont have anything bad to say, good border limitations, well placed opfor and werry aggresive enemy arty!

/kt

Its good to be kept on your toes I find.

Definatly a coop unless you want to play from the map (Like a Sqn Ldr) and only fight the tank if you have to.

If the Tps sit in the same posn for too long then yes the enemy arty is pretty devastating! I only tend to leave them by for about 4 minutes before getting them to move.

A couple of us tried it today and it went smoothly. The only noticeable problem a couple of us experienced were having our shots deflected up and to the right. I checked in the mission editor to see if shot deflection was enabled, but it wasn't. Might be a problem with the Beta??

A couple of us tried it today and it went smoothly. The only noticeable problem a couple of us experienced were having our shots deflected up and to the right. I checked in the mission editor to see if shot deflection was enabled, but it wasn't. Might be a problem with the Beta??

You to?? I thought it was just me lazing over target, so I adjusted and aimed lower to get a hit.

Weird...

A good gunnery technique KT. Tacbat. Not sure. It may be the beta but I would be suprised. I don't recall leaving the deflection on. I had played with it during early development in order to improve survivability when testing and had played with the thought of encouraging players to conduct the manual correction to shot technique.

I will have to work on some new scenes for future competitions.

Scoring is the hard part I find once of course the scripting is squared.