Single Player Missions...

Werewolf

Does anyone still play Single Player (been lurking for a while)?

If not why not? :confused:

If so what do you enjoy in an SP mission? ex: Small size, Med, Large? Tactical problems? Straight mayhem where the player just :gun: the crap out of a large number of enemy units? Infantry present? Urban? Coop with the AI as your partner/Boss?

The above is not an all inclusive list.

Inquiring minds would very much like to know.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play single player all the time. If I had my druthers, I'd be online. But SB can be just as fun by yourself.

As for what I enjoy: All of the above. I like a wide variety of missions to keep it interesting. Or at least a few missions with enough randomness to make them seem different each time.

I almost never play SP anymore. When I do, it's because I just want to blow sh*t up for a while. In that case, I'll play one of the instant action missions or the "Tanks!" mission. I find that the friendly AI requires too much babysitting, in a not-very-realistic manner. That is not only frustrating, but also an immersion-killer. (This is true of pretty much all sims and wargames I've tried.) The illusion is a little better with enemy AI, probably because you don't get as close a view of their fumblings as you do with AI teammates.

Plus, in addition to more competent players and adversaries in online play, you also get the sense of cooperation with your teammates, which can be a source of satisfaction as well.

So, for me, the sweet spot is multiplayer missions where I only have to control a single vehicle or, at most, a platoon.

Still, given the small apparent size of the multiplayer community and the relatively large number of visitors to this website, I suspect that the number of people who play SP exclusively is quite large compared to MP. Not sure why that is, though.

I mainly play single player. I've played some small missions in multiplayer with a few people from a community I'm part of but that's about it.

Why? I suppose I like being able to pause and plan things out or pause and come back to it later.

As far as missions go I prefer a smaller scale. I can reasonably take care or a company of units but for anything larger than that I'm awful at the "big picture" side of things (maneuvering many units, keeping track of supply and logistics, etc.).

At least 75% of my time on SB is offline. I play both single player and multiplayer alone. Fridays are about my only time I play MP. Offline is better: no connection problems, no attitudes with other players (rarely happens), no upgrades needed, no late night games; just plain blow up some #$@%! :bigsmile:

I can set the strategy and tactics as I wish and can spend all week long in one hour increments on how to get it done. I am very grateful for people who spend the time to write up scenarios for my enjoyment. So please keep up the good work everyone, make us more and I'll use them!

But TGIF is special too.

There is nothing wrong with MP. In fact there are rules that have been put in place to prevent the MP from being unprofessional. I have noticed that a lot of the members who come to play have more problems with the port forwarding set up than anything else. But hopefully that will be fix soon.

I play single player all the time. If I had my druthers, I'd be online. But SB can be just as fun by yourself.

As for what I enjoy: All of the above. I like a wide variety of missions to keep it interesting. Or at least a few missions with enough randomness to make them seem different each time.

Idem dito for me.

+ especially interested in "Coop with the AI as your partner/Boss".

Hmm, there's one thing that I really dislike in missions: too long distances (say 10 or 15 km) that need to be covered by platoon, in too little time.

Could it be that you would create - again - some masterpieces of scenario's, Werewolf ?

That would be great !

Idem dito for me.

+ especially interested in "Coop with the AI as your partner/Boss".

Hmm, there's one thing that I really dislike in missions: too long distances (say 10 or 15 km) that need to be covered by platoon, in too little time.

Could it be that you would create - again - some masterpieces of scenario's, Werewolf ?

That would be great !

I'm really thinking hard about getting back into SB, Koen. Best scenario design kit in any game ever IMO. Using 2.654 right now.

Would need to upgrade to 3.0 but the impression I got from lurking for a while has been MP is King these days and most players just aren't into SP anymore.

This weekend I started fooling around with putting together what I call a micro battle. A couple of platoons for the player to control, small map and an AI full of surprises. (the darn thing surprised me the last time I tested it - sent a platoon of M1's to the jump off position - let 'em soften up the OpFor sitting in a fortified position and moved 'em out. Was gonna use a mech inf platoon to hold the SP's when captured by the tanks as they continued to move forward. AI had different ideas. I moved the Bradleys onto the jump off point to perform overwatch. Got nailed by an arty barrage - tore the leg units that had dismounted a new one - tanks looked back - I could just hear 'em thinking - sucks to be a crunchie). I did not program that barrage - the commie AI called the strike in all on it's own. Made the whole thing worth it. :luxhello:

That said: this isn't 2007 - I'm over 60 now and the ole creative juices seem to come and go on their own schedule. Still...

• Members
Would need to upgrade to 3.0 but the impression I got from lurking for a while has been MP is King these days and most players just aren't into SP anymore.

The people who are posting on this forum are not necessarily representative of the entire Steel Beasts community. In fact, the comparison between sales figures of SB Pro PE and the number of people who are approximately organized in virtual units and/or posting here about multiplayer games suggests that the vast majority of SB players are still focused on single player, they jut aren't very vocal.

The people who are posting on this forum are not necessarily representative of the entire Steel Beasts community.

This is reinforced by the number of people who turn up for MP events who obviously don't visit here regularly.

e.g.: 1. People who weren't aware of the Public Beta programme, its iterations and that it had ended.

2. People who turned up for the UK invitational but weren't aware of UK Armour's / SVU's meeting dates / times - even though they pop up here as reminders and as calendar events.

This is reinforced by the number of people who turn up for MP events who obviously don't visit here regularly.

e.g.: 1. People who weren't aware of the Public Beta programme, its iterations and that it had ended.

2. People who turned up for the UK invitational but weren't aware of UK Armour's / SVU's meeting dates / times - even though they pop up here as reminders and as calendar events.

Please explain?

Sure.

Example 1: During the Public Beta we spent what 20mins or so pre each TGIF because people (from all over) weren't aware that the mission would be played using version X even though that was explicitly mentioned in the TGIF thread.

Those people then had to download the public beta and install it before TGIF could proceed.

Then when the Public Beta expired and an announcement was made in the thread that the next TGIF would use 3.011, a bunch of people turned up with 3.017 and needed to be told to use 3.011 (to the point that some complained that they could get into the Assembly Area and suddenly could when they were told to revert to 3.011).

Example 2: A whole bunch of people seemed to be unaware of UK Armour's meeting schedule and asked questions about "when do you guys meet?", etc. when it would seem pretty clear to me from the number of Calendar entries created by the UK Armour guys, and the resulting reminders posted at the bottom of the forum that someone who regularly visits (not necessarily "lurks") would be aware of this information already.

Topical example: The reminder about the "Soviet VU" meeting currently posted under "Today's events" at the forum top level.

I have had the sim for about 5 weeks now, yes I a lot of single player it was one of the major reasons why I got the sim. I'm currently having fun with Beginner's Campaign, Assault on Radjic Town :) I had a lot of fun playing Advance into Radjic County.

Cheers!

Sure.

Example 1: During the Public Beta we spent what 20mins or so pre each TGIF because people (from all over) weren't aware that the mission would be played using version X even though that was explicitly mentioned in the TGIF thread.

Those people then had to download the public beta and install it before TGIF could proceed.

Then when the Public Beta expired and an announcement was made in the thread that the next TGIF would use 3.011, a bunch of people turned up with 3.017 and needed to be told to use 3.011 (to the point that some complained that they could get into the Assembly Area and suddenly could when they were told to revert to 3.011).

Example 2: A whole bunch of people seemed to be unaware of UK Armour's meeting schedule and asked questions about "when do you guys meet?", etc. when it would seem pretty clear to me from the number of Calendar entries created by the UK Armour guys, and the resulting reminders posted at the bottom of the forum that someone who regularly visits (not necessarily "lurks") would be aware of this information already.

Topical example: The reminder about the "Soviet VU" meeting currently posted under "Today's events" at the forum top level.

gotcha

90% of my games are MP. For me, cooperative play is a necessity for hardcore sims, be it SB, BMS or DCS.

If I just want to blow uo s*it, I play BF4. But now I realize thats MP too. :)

99% of my games are MP.

Sure.

And the fact that at least two people turned up for the UKA Invitational believing it to be a test for Rising Bear, despite the name of the mission appearing in the very first post of the thread.

But you know the old saying, 'Want to keep a secret? Put it on a notice board'

:clin:

90% of my games are MP. For me, cooperative play is a necessity for hardcore sims, be it SB, BMS or DCS.

If I just want to blow uo s*it, I play BF4. But now I realize thats MP too. :)

99% of my games are MP.

But not all MP is simply about 'blowing up sh1t', surely? You were at the UKA invitational event - was that your genuine impression of it?

But not all MP is simply about 'blowing up sh1t', surely? You were at the UKA invitational event - was that your genuine impression of it?

Ummmm, perhaps wrongly worded. If I want:

Blow up sh1t = BF4

Serious hardcore simulation = SB

I use a different tool for different results. And I know I'm a freaky, I can enjoy both.

UK invitational fullfilled my spectations of an organized, cooperative event with my fellow tankers. :luxhello:

Partially becuse they'd probably prefer to play alone than with some of the f*&ktards you have to put up with in MP.

Most of my online play has been with TGIF, UK Armour, and the United Operations group, in descending order of quantity. I have not noticed much in the way of overtly f*&cktarded behavior. Not entirely sure what was going on with that dustup a few weeks ago concerning the TGIF code of conduct/quasi-exploits, so maybe I'm just not attuned to the bad behavior. But in my own experience, in terms of things like taunting or other immature behavior, I don't see why anyone would be deterred from MP. (In fact, for anyone on the fence, I encourage you to check out rotareneg's youtube page, which has a dozen or so vids of recent TGIF gameplay.)

As for personal preferences as to realism, mission types, etc., that's another story. But I would think that with just a little research, someone interested in MP could find a group of guys with similar preferences. Or just post an inquiry in the MP forum here.

I think he means he now realises that BF4 is MP too, not that blowing "uo s*it" is MP. :)

You got it! I've been playing FPS for years, but only the few times I played cooperativily, with voice communications and so, did it feel like multiplayer.

But I am off topic. When I play SB I play it MP.

And reading Ssnake figures I can only imagine what we could do with a fraction of those that always play SP. :gun: