Single Player Missions...

Werewolf

Ummmm, perhaps wrongly worded. If I want:

Blow up sh1t = BF4

Serious hardcore simulation = SB

I use a different tool for different results. And I know I'm a freaky, I can enjoy both.

UK invitational fullfilled my spectations of an organized, cooperative event with my fellow tankers. :luxhello:

Oh good. You had me worried there for a minute. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Single player suits me fine- on weekends there's virtually no chance I'm going to be at home playing multiplayer.

Designing and playing SP missions for oneself is rewarding in itself, it's fun to script behavior and see what it does, fine tuning can be tedious and frustrating, but I think of designing a mission as even a game within a game.

If you're still playing SB but skipping version 3, one of the most useful game changing features are the complex infantry behavior- they crawl forward now (and they're better looking). The new smoke effects are also a better looking improvement. Like other cumulative changes, it would be difficult for me to revert back to an earlier version.

I'm creating a KPA vs. ROK scenario, just testing this scenario has been loads of fun, it's been tempting to both watch everything like a movie or jump in and intervene and play through certain phases instead of fine tuning.

SS_15_00_35_zpsb5e55778.jpg

SS_19_43_17_zpsba89637a.jpg

SS_21_44_18_zps7a16dbaf.jpg

SS_21_45_15_zpsc3527e70.jpg

SS_21_45_43_zps003cc2c1.jpg

I just play SP.

I kinda like playing a bit of everything. Hasty Defense is the best simulation mission I've seen (in any computer simulator).

I also like making my own scenarios and playing them. It's fun thinking up missions.

I've been playing "Flank Attack (Leo2A5)"* quite a lot lately. Depending on which trigger you set and how and where you deploy your forces, the experience can be quite varied.

It's also a great mission in terms of "trigger time". You arrive at the battlefield in pretty much perfect position to wreak havoc on the enemy without too much maneuvering needed. There's enough built in randomness to catch you by surprise now and then. And with tanks, PCs, infantry, scout vehicles, FOs, supply and fuel trucks and a medic, there's plenty of jobs to choose from.

You can even give the attacking German forces some routes and BPs and play as the defending U.S. forces. The only drawback to this mission is that the German PCs aren't crewable...yet. (Pretty please, with a cherry on top? :luxhello:)

* In the default "scenarios" folder.

I've tried some MP and found that the SB crowd was a pretty friendly and knowledgeable bunch. This MP community seems pretty free of the usual MP silliness.

Still, I mostly play SP. I'm more interested in playing around with ideas in scenarios and trying things out. I enjoy the situations that others have created. I particularly like the "tactical vignette" type of mission. I also play a lot of other stuff. I really don't have the time or focus on a single game/simulation to get serious about SP MP. I've no doubt that I'll give it another try soon, but suspect that SP will always be what I predominantly play.

Having said that, the SB MP videos I've watched always look really cool.

If connection is lost for any reason, chances of getting back in are slim. With single player, don't have to worry about that. I do enjoy playing with other people but there's too much technical issues to deal with. With single player, I can play anytime I want, save the mission anytime and go on with my laughable life's contemporary goals :bigsmile:

Thankfully, one doesn't have to pay to play online as is required with other games. The ONLY reason why I do not design my own scenarios is that it takes away to surprise element. If I know exactly what the opposition is going to do, not so much fun. I'm not a game designer and have no desire to become one.

Actually, I do tease myself with the fantasy of game designing. But it's not going to happen :bigsmile:

As I can testify from las weekend mission.

Dropped in the planning phase. Pause, rejoin, play. Thats all.

It's a bit more difficult if the mission file is very large, but still doable via save, send mission file and restart.

"slim" ????

We have found it pretty bullet proof.

In fact, the only problem I've noticed is that the rejoining player does not get back any Planning/Execution Phase graphics he may have been sent prior to dropping.

Which can be fixed with one of the others who stayed in "sending all".

My only concern with this (admission: haven't tested) is that everyone else may end up with duplicates of each graphic.

I edit large single and co-op missions with no enemy updates, (and no friendly updates when I feel particularly sadistic). I also put weaker units on my side to increase difficulty. Like replacing Leo2a5's with Leo1a5's, or Cv90's with m113's. I leave the enemy side alone. I try to overwhelm Myself with tasks and decision making in just about impossible situations. The point is not to win but do a little better than last time, and make myself sweat a little.

I do this to train for Coing, and playing MP sessions.

My only concern with this (admission: haven't tested) is that everyone else may end up with duplicates of each graphic.

Yes but they are exactly superimposed so you don't see any duplicates (unless someone has moved one or two in the meantime).

A bit like two coats of paint one over the other.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm a new player and want to know how I get a single player campaign to appear in my game files so I can play it.

I have downloaded a number of them as zips and I'm ready to unpack and use them but not sure how to do this.

Can anyone help??

• 2 years later...

I'm pretty sure it is in the Manual but not many people seem to read manuals any more.

You need to:

1. Download the mission.

2. Unzip / Decompress the mission. Usually they come compressed to save space. If it has a ".sce" file extension is it decompressed.

3. Move the decompressed file to a file path that looks like this:

C:\Users\[username]\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\My Scenarios

4. Start Steel Beasts

5. Select "Offline session" from the main menu

6. The scenario should appear in the list.

7. Select it to load it.

I play most of the time single player missions. I would like to play more in multiplayer but TGIF are at 4AM here in Madrid, and the near time I have to play are 20h local time... where I can only 23h (21GMT summertime, 22GMT winter). 

For now I am downloading the missions found here in the forum which are good for starting and using one vehicle and learning. But I wish to find more campaigns in future (is there anyone more than the default one?). I enjoy more use one vehicle than beeing most of the time in the map giving orders to other vehicles. I find that part fun, but more like an strategic game.

For multiplayer I wish we could see something like Falcon Online, where you can connect anytime to a 24h-7days server and continue the war. But I suppose that is impossible in SB as multiplayer is driven only for 8 players and also a single mission based. 

25 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

I play most of the time single player missions. I would like to play more in multiplayer but TGIF are at 4AM here in Madrid, and the near time I have to play are 20h local time... where I can only 23h (21GMT summertime, 22GMT winter). 

For now I am downloading the missions found here in the forum which are good for starting and using one vehicle and learning. But I wish to find more campaigns in future (is there anyone more than the default one?). I enjoy more use one vehicle than beeing most of the time in the map giving orders to other vehicles. I find that part fun, but more like an strategic game.

For multiplayer I wish we could see something like Falcon Online, where you can connect anytime to a 24h-7days server and continue the war. But I suppose that is impossible in SB as multiplayer is driven only for 8 players and also a single mission based. 

You know there are european VUs that play at roughly 2000 GMT/UTC?

27 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

You know there are european VUs that play at roughly 2000 GMT/UTC? And that playercount for VU games is muuch above 8 players??

Ah didn't know there were the posibility to play more than 8 players even I have the PE. Will take a look! Thanks!

I subscribed to BG ANZAC because I read 09GTM, and didn't realize that it wasn't 21hGMT LOL!! but even that maybe I could play a match with them at 11am Local time... and Madrid, if you dig a tunnel through the center of the earth exist in North New Zealand Island! :)

1 hour ago, Japo32 said:

Ah didn't know there were the posibility to play more than 8 players even I have the PE. Will take a look! Thanks!

I subscribed to BG ANZAC because I read 09GTM, and didn't realize that it wasn't 21hGMT LOL!! but even that maybe I could play a match with them at 11am Local time... and Madrid, if you dig a tunnel through the center of the earth exist in North New Zealand Island! :)

Well I'm sorry that you were confused by 0900 and thought it was 2100. I had thought it was pretty obvious. :)

Especially as there is a link "Local time for your part of the world" in every post here showing you the "local" time in some 150 cities across the planet.

Do you wish to be removed?

Edited by Gibsonm