How did you discover Steel beasts

Marko

Hi Guys

I am trying establish how many SB pro players upgraded from the original Steel beasts.

Also how did you first come across this sim.Ie Recommended by somebody .Google search .youtube. Magazine review.

Demo off the original, Etc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

I am trying establish how many SB pro players upgraded from the original Steel beasts.

Also how did you first come across this sim.Ie Recommended by somebody .Google search .youtube. Magazine review.

On the shelf of a now-defunct computer store in the US, CompUSA, in early 2001. It looked like a promising cover and I chanced it... it was a good chance. The graphics left a lot to be desired, but I stuck with it as the game play was (and is) exceptional.

To be fair on the graphics thing, the graphics allowed for long-distance engagements in much the same way that the Voxel technology on Novalogic titles did (DeltaForce - fun game, F-16/Mig-29, Comanche). I remember that my eyes had to get used to the game if I had been playing a lot of some other game. However, within an hour, I didn't notice it anymore. One thing I remember about the old version is that the ATGMs were like beacons from the minute they were launched... now, the flame trail isn't as evident until the missile is just about right on you. It was actually a bit more disconcerting, when caught out in the open, to see that little missle sprite inbound on you while you frantically zigged and zagged to throw off the track.

I've consistently played some version of SB ever since.

was looking for a tank simulator when reminiscing about steel thunder for my old commodore 64, went to best buy and saw it so decided to buy it, this was back in somewhere round 2000, played it once or twice, got mad because i couldnt hit anything with he then figured out had to adjust ammo switch later on so tried it again and been playing it since. compusa isnt defunct, it is back again.

Read for the first time about SB1 on Combat.sim (it was a preview), way back in July 99.

So that's almost 9 years that I'm following this sim now ...

When will I get a golden watch ? After 20 or 25 years ?

And I uploaded a zipped thread here that I think it is one of the first appearances of Ssnake as on the CS-forum (and of Al Delaney as well !)

I was enthralled by M1 Tank Platoon then - but soon found out that I had to switch to SB ... It was mainly the continuous feedback of Ssnake on the forums that got me going.

Rgds & all the best with the SB-project,

Koen

56e83c6a73062_SBCSforum9907_zip.53255bf8

SB CS forum 9907.zip

Never played SB1, which is a shame since I've been a tank sim fan for more than 15 years. Last sim I had before was M1A2 Tank Platoon 2, and few others before that.

I learned about SB Pro PE while perusing Sim HQ, and purchased it immediatly, kicking myself that I managed to completely miss the existence of a new tank simulator for so long (never heard about SB1).

That said, SB Pro is definitely the best tank sim I've ever played. I love it. :)

Itkovian

My Dad actually read a review of it at SimHQ in late 2000 (He doesn't play Sim games though, so I don't know why.) He downloaded the demo of it and I played the hell out of it all next year. He got me the full version as a Christmas present in 2001. I was 15 then....now I'm 22. Damn, doesn't seem like that long ago.

Of course, I pre-ordered the Pro version ;-)

Hi Guys

Hi All.

Below this post is my reply to a posting from Oscar19681 regarding low community activity.

what i am trying to establish is the best way of promoting the SB pro sim

It is my opinion the best way to promote the game is a demo targeted at hardcore Simmers.

As Snake has stated in previous postings Esim simply do not have the time to complete a Demo of the current SB Pro Edtion. What mite be a viable alternative would be to release the original SB Sim as a free down load from this site .if you look at the amount of guests that visit the site its potentially a large amount off customers for SB Pro. which would revitalise this site.

I gave away my original copy to a friend who had no interest in tank warfare before he started to Play SB he is now considering buying SB.pro

{Important point :This would require Esims approval.}

And I'm not sure how big the down load would be or if are down load section could handle it.

Can any site administrators elaborate on this please.

Thanks to all who have posted replies so far.please keep the posts coming as this may help Esim to consider this a potential option for increased revenue for SB pro sales.as many players may wont to upgrade to pro when they see how in grossing steel beasts is.

I'm no PR person. but there's a lot more that could be done to promote the game.Magazine Adverts more youtube videos more events. one idea i had that will probably provoke An Immediate Not possible from Esim. Is a playable demo released to the Sim community.

I discovered the original Steel beasts via a demo from a Gaming magazine.

I would never have considered paying over a hundred euro for a Sim with out trying it first

Had i not played the original.

Or maybe release the original as a free download to give potential customers a taste of armoured warfare.

Edited by Marko

I'd played combat sims in one form or another since owning a PC. Reading the Battlefront forums, I came across a reference to SB Pro PE and, after checking reviews and this forum, decided to purchase it. I'll admit to somehow overlooking SB1.

Exactly my story as well! ;)

Like many other my initial hook was through M1 Tank Pl and then M1 Tank Platoon 2. Eventually I was after a better game with better graphics and fell upon SB Pro PE. As a Tankie in the British Army stuck in staff jobs this satisfies my need for heavy metal.

I can catagorically state that this sim is the next best thing to being in a turret just lacks the smell of corrdite and diesel and cracked ribs from hitting bumps to hard!

Keep up the excellent work ESim team!!!!

Googled "tank simulator" and the first hit was STEEL BEASTS.

I tried some cheap discount ww2 air combat games and couldn't wrap my head around looking at a 15" monitor while trying to fight a battle happening all around me, above and below. Thought a tank sim would be more two-dimensional and easy. Wrong! LOL.

I down loaded the free SB demo on my dial-up. Took about half a day. Played the demo heavy for 6 months until I could beat the red AI. I found the SB text chat room and found out there were others doing multi player. 10 minutes later ordered SB-gold. About the same time got a new computer with a joystick. Wow! full immersion in 2003.

I found it while trying to find some comfy shoes. I allways liked tanks and such, it is the calvary you know. I bought it then and there but I didn't get to play it for about 3 months, since I was out on a wagon in Arizona. After I got home though, I dove in. Played SP for three years until the summer of '04, I think it was, then jumped in feet first in MP. Got my ass handed to me for quite some time, but that's the best way to learn. Got PE right about the time it was released. Haven't played MP much since.

Learned about SBProPE from a SimHQ article here, too.

I didn't move on buying the sim for maybe a year or so, partly because of the price-tag and partly because I had only ever played some demo of a Novalogic armour game back when demos were placed on CDs. I also wasn't too sure how I felt about tanksimming since I had spent most of my sim time tank-plinking.

But coming back from one of those big life-altering experiences, I said "fuck it", sent in my chit, registered here, and the disk arrived less than a week later :thumbup:

Well, I hope there are no regrets. :)

Certainly not! I knew I forgot something. :biggrin:

The price-tag actually wasn't quite the major concern I might've made it out to be because I'm one of those guys who buys maybe one sim a year. I think in the last decade, the sim-list is Silent Hunter I, III and IV, RedBaron 3D, Jane's F/A-18, Falcon 4.0, Il-2 and Pacific Fighters, and Orbiter (and that's freeware).

And from reading reviews, I felt that SBPro's quality wasn't debatable, but how would I feel about armoured warfare all together? It quickly boiled down to figuring out what a dongle was, and Google cleared that up.

I actually think that the sim is probably the most open-ended I've played. Not necessarily in "modibility", but in play style. From crewman all the way up to tabletop general (or light colonel depending on framerate), with scenarios only limited by imagination and patience; fighting off the Red Horde, or manning a security outpost.

It's also provided some of the most hair-raising sim experiences I've had where I'm completely exhausted afterwards, and sometimes just keyed up so much that I have to blow off steam physically (fortunately, with no harm to society).

The community's topnotch, and easily the most civil I've seen. Sure, there's the "occasional" bumps, but fortunately I'm in a position to either be humoured or to ignore them completely. On the other hand, I love reading the in-depth discussions on tactics, etc. It's great to see recognizable names around the forums, and developers posting actively.

So, sSnake and team, you guys gave me one helluva ride for $125 :cool2:

I faintly remember playing a demo in the late 90s that had new tanks but bad graphics. :redface: But it was modern armor in a really realistic flavor, and the audio was excellent, so I got the game in/around 2000, been with it ever since and didn't hesitate with Pro PE - except I had to build a new system to run it.

When will I get a golden watch ? After 20 or 25 years ?

Can I get an esim jacket when I pass 10 years? Puhhleeaaase?