How did you discover Steel beasts

Marko

If I remember correctly, I was working as a beta-tester/consultant for Panzer Elite when someone mentioned SB (original).

I just now got SB Pro PE. I wanted to get it when it first came out, but I had a long difficult time convincing aquisitions (aka "The Wife") that it was a necessary expenditure.

Also was kind of trying to determine if SB2 was the way to go. Glad I got ProPE though.

-Blackhorse311

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long ago I had M1 TP The version where the reds were RED! you could spot a tank on a hill easily, and near here there was a piece of red farm machinery on a hillside that reminded me of M1TP for ages!

Then I got into Flight sims and left the tanks as M1 had exhausted itself.

Eventually got to flyin' F4 online and even commanding a VFS for awhile, during which time I bought M1TPII and some ther tank sim I forget it's name though. I happened to mention them one day on Frugals (those familiar with combat flight sims will be familiar with Frugals too! :) ) and SB was mentioned as being a hot Tank sim, I had to find out.

Bought the gold version of SB1 played online a few times and got shot a lot! But had loads of fun.

Upgraded to Pro PE when I could afford it.

M1 Platoon, then onto SB around 2000. I enjoy playing live opponents so the early Ai versions dulled out for me. A couple of years later, I tried the multi-player way back but it was invitation only from a forum, no continuous on-line action.....I guess not enough folks then. I was dominated and devastated in each of the 3 rounds played!! :) I didn't mind then nor would I now, but to interrupt a chat room or lobby of SB veterans to ask to play someone was a bit awkward for a new guy, and my puter connection was just a bit weak. I went back to flight sims...Ace's High has some basic tanking which is really quite fun...WW2 class.

But I am really hoping that in 8 years or so, SB would have grown and developed into a massive on line gaming site..I would want to be a part of that and am now interested in an upgrade to my old CD if that is offered, don't know. Tanking sim/gaming is the most fun I am hoping this site is the door to it.

I got a random email about it today..thought I'd check in and see.

How is it now?

Found SB1 Demo on a computer gaming maz in india. first didnt know what the hell it was all about. then finally read the review in the same maz which called it "Too Realestic to be Fun"

decided to give it a send go. and fell in love with it.

fooled around with sb1 for many years ,even had a small VU "17th Poona Horse" well multiplayer thing didnt go as i had wanted it to ,so decided to stick to single player and sce design.

Finally this year bought SB Pro PE. and it kicks ass.

Anyway

Ash

In 2003, during my staying in the military Academy in Toledo (SPAIN) I knew SteelBeasts. After playing a little, I decided to buy the Pro version. But unfortunately, there are only a few Spanish players in the community.

Still waiting for the great boom of the game in Spain.

Regards

• Members

Well, you can help us by going into Spanish discussion boards and promoting it there. Maybe it helps pointing out that in December we will see the Pizarro and Leopardo 2E in it as playable vehicles, along with the VEC and the Centauro. Furthermore, I don't know the quality of the Spanish voice recordings. If they lack spirit or technical quality, by all means find a team of people to re-record them. Contact me by email for details. I also think that we could use more documentation in Spanish language. We're looking for people who make translations, e.g. of the existing scenarios. These will all be factors that will help with the success.

Hi Guys

I am trying establish how many SB pro players upgraded from the original Steel beasts.

Also how did you first come across this sim.Ie Recommended by somebody .Google search .youtube. Magazine review.

Demo off the original, Etc

i spotted the original Steel Beasts in a Wal-Mart when I was 13. at first i treated it like a videogame, but i realized it was a simulator. so i took it further and tried to emulate some original Command & Conquer missions into the game, with some success in the level creator

as i grew older and became interested in the Army, and tanks, I took my use of Steel Beasts further. my OPORDERS became more professional, i understood how to use this simulator, and saw it as an opportunity to get a taste of tanker skills before i would enter the service

Well, for me I had played a couple of tank games in the past. Namely M1 Tank Platoon and the old Team Yankee. I stumbled upon the SB Demo on a Filefront list and downloaded it. After installing it I worked my way through the M1 tutorial and thought, "Hey this is pretty cool" dated graphics and all. Then, I started the demo scenario, hopped into my tank and was promptly turned into a flaming pile of scrap metal. Four days later I was able to complete the scenario without having my ride shot out from under me. It took me a little longer to actually win that scenario. Needles to say I was hooked, I ordered it from a discount house for about 20 bucks and haven't looked back since.

• 3 weeks later...

Played sims since the C64. (especially flight sims).

mainly an avid WW2 gamer.

I think I actually have SB somewhere but never got into it.

Friend told me SB pro is really good. Thought about it and for $125 wasn't in a hurry.

Watched HBO Generation Kill.

Ordered SB pro. :)

I was a keen player of Combat Mission Afrika Korps with the big Euro mod, but didn't get on with the new Strike Force version. Saw Steel Beasts mentioned a few times on the CM forum, and here I am! I did have the very first M1 Tank Platoon game (I think it was called that) a long time ago too.

Tim

Looking through all the posts it seems reviews and demo's were the main reason but a large Percentage played the original SB Before moving on to SB pro

This reinforces my view that a free playable demo off the original SB would generate more Interest in the Sim.

Before i made this Reply i checked to see how many visitors were viewing are site there Were Thirty tree visitors. and three members.

In my original post i suggested that we allow visitors to down load the original demo.

From this site without becoming a member and maybe attach details of the enhanced Graphics and extra features of SB pro

Also more high quality videos would be a good way to introduce newbies to armoured warfare. i know there are some excellent youtube videos may be we could make a sort promotional film in high res.like the one Ssnake made For The CV90.and allow visitor to view it without becoming a member.

In my eternal fight in order to get an introduction of the game in my country (Spain), I have posted several time in spanish forums about the game, posting videos and linking to this forum, but all the answer I got were that it´s seem to be a great game, but people are afraid to pay for something that haven´t seen before.

So, what people need is a free demo. This is the solution. People like tanks, I am sure about that. Not only tank, but also tactics, and they can play both.

So, Ssnake, please, think about that.

Best regards.