Those Silent On-Map Mortars of the Insurgents

El_Chacho

Hello,

I am editing some Iraq/Afghanistan insurgency missions and the silence of the on-map mortars for the insurgent side is deafening.

The SB Wiki contains this info:

In order to conserve their limited ammunition and maintain responsiveness, on-map mortars are modeled not respond to AI fire requests and may not be "scripted" using events, triggers, or conditions, meaning only player requests will be processed.

I understand the rationale for the on-map mortar crews, but an on-map insurgent mortar crew firing onto my troopers would add a lot of value to my missions (locate the mortar, destroy it, etc).

Is there any chance that in the future we will see the on-map mortars responding to AI fire requests.

Apologies if this has been addressed before.

Volcano!

Big fan of your work. I am also playing France '14 right now. :cool3:

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I will have to go with off map arty in the meantime. If there is a way to "kill the insurgent arty" it can be done with FO units (?!).

Cheers,

Is there any chance that in the future we will see the on-map mortars responding to AI fire requests.

IMHO, before that happens work needs to be done on the 'I' part of AI. For example it needs to understand that if an enemy vehicle enters an area already occupied by friendly forces, it is NOT OK to bring down an artillery barrage on that area - as happened in a UKA scenario the other day with off-map artillery.

As I understand it, AI artillery calls are either ON or OFF, and not conditional. But I am happy, as always, to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Volcano!

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I will have to go with off map arty in the meantime. If there is a way to "kill the insurgent arty" it can be done with FO units (?!).

Cheers,

I believe there is with regions and conditions, I will try to take some time this week to look into it, on the surface it looks possible.

I believe there is with regions and conditions, I will try to take some time this week to look into it, on the surface it looks possible.

Hi 12Alfa,

What I got is insurgent FO units calling off-map artillery. The incoming rounds sound and look a bit too powerful to be just mortars but what do I know?

Cheers,

In the editor, right click on map and select "new arty call". That will give you access to the logic editor to create artillery strikes (including mortars). Note that this form of artillery is independent of the abstract artillery you can assign a side via the options/support menu, as well as independent of on-map artillery units. Of course, the flexibility with which this kind of artillery is employed is limited by the possibilities inherent in the sim's control logic, associated regions, etc.

• Moderators
Volcano!

Cheers,

Thanks, glad you like it (F14). :) There should be another one soon. ;)

Yes, make the arty as FO only and then if their FOs are taken out then that should be it.

I don't mind:). I have done similar regions/condition when using the Sim for the army.:cool3:

12Alfa, apologies for not sending the file last night. Real life keeps getting in the way ...

I will send it to you sometime today or tomorrow.

Thanks,

Julio

Can you PM me the mission to take a look?

Hi 12Alfa,

I did not manage to attach the mission file into a PM so I am doing it here.

SS_00_45_42.jpg

It's a very early draft and needs a lot of work, including but not limited to briefing and scoring.

An infantry squad has been ambushed by insurgents (note Unimog burning in the foreground). A Cougar MRAP has attempted to bring in reinforcements and firepower but was badly damaged by an IED. You are in command of a quick reaction platoon of Bradley vehicles and your mission is to fight off the ambush.

The issue I am having now is that I can't have the insurgent FOs to bring fire upon the ambush area (infantry squad and damaged MRAP). I am thinking of using the conditional arty mission trick proposed by MDF.

Let me know, please.

Cheers,

56e83d03f3093_IraqWar2QuickReactionPlato

Iraq War 2 Quick Reaction Platoon.rar

See this thread: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=19892

AI artillery will never call rockets or mortars. Even when you script it to be mortar/rockets, the effect will be 155/152 mm howitzer.

Hi rump,

Thanks for the heads up. I an leaning towards a scripted and conditional Red (insurgents) arty call. The menu has the option of a "HE mortar" round, but now that you mention it, it will be a high caliber howitzer.

Cheers,