Teamspeak protocol

Itkovian

Salutations.

After some time working the kinks out, I have finally got Teamspeak up and running, alongside with the SB Pro PE beta, and so am ready to get some MP gaming done.

However, I do have some questions about Teamspeak protocol.

Basically, the couple of times I checked out the served, there were a few people in the "In Game" channel and no one else. Is it bad form to join that channel to check things out?

I did so once to make sure people could actually hear me, but otherwise just went back to the lobby as I didn't want to eavesdrop on private chatter between whoever was playing.

Was that correct of me? Or is the In Game channel the one to go to when just logging on and wanting to get in on the action? The lobby was rather lonely. :)

Indeed, all I've seen so far are people in the "In Game" channel, and some in the AFK channel.

In any case, I look foward to getting clubbed like a baby seal in MP. :)

Thank you.

Itkovian

• Moderators
Is it bad form to join that channel to check things out?

No, I don't think so. Well, as long as you are not actively participating in the game then I don't think anyone has a problem if you sit in one channel. Some may not want you to flip flop between red and blue channels though for obvious reasons but I don't think it is a problem to sit in just one and listen. The other thing is, if you are listening then you shouldn't disrupt the game communications by asking questions or broadcasting. The good thing though is that if you are unsure then it is good to ask.

Actually, this is a good thread. So often you see people complain about someone in TS being annoying but yet they never take the person aside and tell them what they are doing wrong, or the culprit just has no idea what the protocol is to begin with.

I think I know one rule:

1) Users generally want minimal communications on the TS channel within the game, especially since a whole company or battalion is on the same channel. Transmissions should be short and to the point and only pertinent information. This is a little less important when / if users are split into sub channels for individual tank crews, platoons or companies within a battalion. Users in command positions are usually doing most of the talking so any unnecessary talking only disrupts the flow of information.

Anyone have any other etiquette / protocol rules to add?

The only true protocol we ask of is, please use " push to talk" as a speech option.

There is nothing worse than to have someone mumbling , weezing , hacking a lung up, smacking their lips...moaning...without them realizing that everything they do is broadcast to the rest of us .

We don't mind so much if you drop in asking us whats going on....... even having a little bit of small talk ! just give respect if we ask for gametime

ALlright, thank you.

Another question: when people are in the in-game channel, are they necessarily in a game, or is it now out of habit the channel chat in?

Or if you prefer, if everyone is in the "in game" channel, does it mean the game already started and it's too late to join in?

I just noticed that in every case, the only people active are in the in-game channel, and the couple of time I jumped in it didn't sound like they were actually playing.

Thank you.

Itkovian

Well the only thing I can think of is:

When in game, NO running commentaries.

Esp. if your commanding just one tank, if your given a move order just say: "yes sir" or "roger"

Keep it short.

Certainly NO:

"Roger that, Alpha moving to so & so, and preparing to engage tanks, yadda yadda yadda."

Because:

A: its not pertinent

B: Its very annoying for your commander to listen to it while trying to hear higher orders.

and C: Its the quickest way to be told to shut the F**k up, and/or get muted.

(I feel very strongly about B & C)

but otherwise, just ask if their in game first.

And so long as you don't disrupt the game, anything goes really.

Couple of other questions:

- When the tank you're commanding has radio damage, are you expected to "simulate" that, or is the built-in consequences of radio damage (lack of update on the map) good enough?

- When reporting enemy contact, what's the proper way to do so?

Itkovian

there is no requirement to simulate the radio going down by not talking, also no point as TS and SB are not linked in anyway and you will still be able to hear others talking in channel. The lack of map updates is enough to screw you up.

As for contact, just listen to others, there is an endless array of reporting methods, usually its given by direction and range from the closest unit, reference point, land mark, phase line etc etc. for close in engagements and contacts given from within the same tank, use the clock method from the hull of the vehicle, where 12 o'clock is always towards the front of the hull.

I haven't seen anyone simulate a damaged radio by not talking.

I was just about to mention contact reports. If map updates are on, then usually a quick "Contact tanks, map" will be enough. In a large scenario a cardinal point can be thrown in, i.e. east, south etc. Sometimes someone will start calling out a grid reference, which may be good practise in real life, but in a game with map updates, it's largely unnecessary. It would be easier for the observer to put a reference point on the map and send it to his side if no map updates are available.

Also, to minimize chatter in TS, you can send text messages in SB at the bottom of the screen. This can be useful if you want to give directions to just your company/platoon/tank.

And how exactly does one create a reference point, incidentally?

Also, say I make contact with tanks, and don't have any specific fire orders. What should I do? Report contact and ask permission to engage, or just engage as I report contact? How does one report destroying their target?

Itkovian

Posted by fidel

ref points are created by right clicking the map and selecting ref point.

unless your told not to fire, feel free to engage as you see fit. there is no real need to report tanks destroyed, unless a bunch of players are rushing to your aid and they could be wasting there time

And don't forget, General Fidel, to add text to the ref point, click on the ref point and then click above and to the right where the grayish area is. Also, Itkovian, if you see tanks or other units approaching, make sure they're hostile before you open fire. There is always the possibility that you could end up shooting your own men, like in the classic scene in Duck Soup, where Groucho goes nuts with a tommy gun on his own men.:biggrin:

Naturally, FF is always an issue.

Mind you, from waht I can tell you can "cheat" a little in SB. If you're TC and you override the turret to point at whatever contact you located, the gunner will call out "identified". So in short, you can use the AI as an IFF, when all else fails.

That said, in non-coop play, are each sides given different hardware? For example, is one side given american armour, while the other receives german equipment?

Thank you.

Itkovian

Posted by Itkovian

That said, in non-coop play, are each sides given different hardware? For example, is one side given american armour, while the other receives german equipment?

Yes, usually.

Posted by Itkovian

Here's another question: what happens if I don't have the scenario the others will be playing on my machine? Is it automatically loaded from the host?

Yes. How long it takes depends on your internet connection. My 384k cable can hack downloading any scenario inside of 2 minutes.

Nice to see you joining our small online community Itkovian, as for any procedures about using TS i can agree with the stuff posted above and most of all just use common sense, as you might have noticed many of us use SB TS not only to play SB but also as a way of just getting together to chatt and do different stuff, like discussing Tankhunters massive dildo collection or RogueSnakes n00b pilot skills in IL-2. :debile2:

But most important don't be afraid to ask stuff, most of us are pretty nice guys, so we will happily answer any questions or give you an ass-whopping in a HtH game :)

I'm usually on every night unless im extremely tired.

And don't be afraid to pop in to any channels, you'll usually be able to hear pretty straigth away if a game is going on or not.

Edited by Ghost

Aye, popped in during an IL-2 game last night, seemed you guys were having fun (lots of talk about wings being shot up, always a good thing).

Hopefully I can get in my first MP game tonight.

BTW, I'm using CTRL as my "push to speak" button... does anything in SB Pro use that button? I don't think so, but I want to make sure I don't end up seeding the map with DU whenever I want to speak *Grin*.

Itkovian

Posted by Itkovian

BTW, I'm using CTRL as my "push to speak" button... does anything in SB Pro use that button?

Yes, Ghost, that button triggers the laser rangefinder. The laser rangefinder is also triggered by right clicking on the target. I personally use the V key for push-to-speak. It stands for "Voice" quite nicely, and it doesn't have any other functions in game.

I use F-12 as a PTT button as it causes the least conflict in the greatest number of games that I play.

As far of the rest of this, I would say that, generally no one minds if you enter there channel and just listen if your not in the game. You should come on and introduce yourself and get to know the folks on TS. Most are quite friendly and helpful. Even when there is no games going on there is often interesting conversations taking place. (There is also hours of dead silence also :) ) If you enter a channel that may (or should) be playing a game, i would suggest listening for a minute or so to be sure there isnt any activity you may disrupt and then break in by saying something like " Hi guys, This is Mogwa. Whats going on ?" Someone will let you know if theres a game on, or if there is about to be a game or whatever.

In game comms has been pretty well covered. Before the game starts there is the usual chit chat, trash talk etc you would expect but once the game enters the planning phase, it customary to kind of keep it down while the 2 commanders come up with a plan and then brief the plan. Keep transmissions short during the game to allow for other players to get there radio calls in if they need to. There is no need to follow strict military protocol. "tanks on map, north", "1/C has reached Phaseline Husker", "Mogwa needs another vehicle" are examples of calls frequently heard that fit this discription. However if you need to give more detail go ahead. Just be aware that towards the "endgame" transmissions tend to become more frequent as strategies shift and commanders strive to pull out the win.

It is a good thing to let everyone know things about your status. " 1/1/C had thrown a track", "2/4/A has lost its GPS", these things let the commander know he may have to adjust to cover your sector. However a long list of every damaged item on your vehicle isnt required. Basically its kind of monkey see, monkey do. The more you play the more proficient youll become at TS in game.

There are also other games played (IL-2 1946, ARMA,etc) which you should feel free to join. Welcome aboard and hope to see you on the virtual battlefield soon.

Mog

Hey Itkovian,

I've seen you popping in over the last coupla days. I should have been more hospitable by inviting you on down to the channel. Where's my manners?!? :eek2: In any case, all of the others have covered how to get along in TS.

If I happen to be on when you are next, let's certainly get you rolling with some SB Pro PE multi-player - which, after all, is the reason for the TS server to begin with. You will find that some of us do other sims from time to time (ArmA, IL-2, Falcon 4, and the like), however, just sing out if you'd like to do some SB (or join in on any of the other games) and we'd be happy to include you.

First and foremost, let's get you rolling on some SB MP. If you are in the Americas, then there is a ongoing Friday night game, TGIF, which starts at 10 P.M. EST/EDT. In the meantime, there's plenty of opportunity for a pick-up game.

I will try to make it for TGIF, and I am on EDT, so it's not a problem, though this friday being the 4th might bring some other complications. :)

That said, I'll change my PTT button, V makes sense. :)

I'll try to get on tonight, however.

Be seeing you.

Itkovian

Funny to read a thread like this one. It includes answers to several questions I was having.

Great job on opening this and discussing in the open. TS involvement is somewhat of a barrier for many people, but finding an open and friendly bunch of guys like here helps a lot!

When I bought SB a few months back I was invited for an online test drive which I found rather frustrating because we were taking fire from infantry, but I couldn't see where they were. :diable: My 'instructor' (I recall it was General Billy, or wasn't it you?) kept overriding the turret to point me in the direction, but I just couldn't make out any targets, lol! About 1 minute later we were a burning scrapmetal casket.

I've changed jobs right after that involving extensive training, leaving almost no playtime, but if you guys would still have me I would love to join into the online fray again!

I would still need some guidance though, although I can pilot a tank now fairly confident by myself (as long as everything works :biggrin:). So we have a deal? ;)

I am in GMT+1 time, though, but work odd hours.

Well, yesterday night I got in some brief playtime, mostly to test my connection and learn the very basics. Thanks a lot to everyone who took the time to help me connect and get started, I appreciate it.

The mini-mission was fun, as fun as running down the maw of the beast can be :). At least I took a couple of units down to Valhalla with me. :)

That said, here's another question:

After we got ganked, the rest of you jumped in the reserve, and so took ownership of the remaining ones. How did you get ownership? Does the act of being the first ones to jump in an empty tank give you ownership? And only the owner can take the TC position, right?

One thing I'd love to try one of these days is multicrew a tank, which is something I've always loved in sims: being able to work coop with fellow crew members (for example, in an Apache simulator, with one person playing the pilot and the other the gunner).

In any case, that was fun. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to play, due to time and other constraints, mind you. It would probably end up being early in the evening, though I hope I can make some TGIF sessions from time to time.

Be seeing you.

Itkovian

How did you get ownership? Does the act of being the first ones to jump in an empty tank give you ownership? And only the owner can take the TC position, right?

All of the units that don't start off with human players in them will fall under the control of the CO, or the most senior callsign in the Assembly Area. Once the scenario starts, the CO can hand off the extra units as required.

If you are jumping around the battlefield to see what others are up to, stick to the external view, unless you are invited to jump into the gunner's/driver's position. It can disrupt the TC's control over his tank without warning which is never a good thing. :)