120mm sound mod

daskal

• Members

Yes, external. The problem is that most microphones will clip out at the peak pressure of the muzzle blast, so the recording is inherently less dynamic than reality is - or you have to increase the distance so much that because of the shot's echo and the long travel through the atmosphere the wave front of the blast is again dampened/distorted to make the sound characteristic noticeably different. So, you would actually want to be as close as possible to the event but at the same time have a super-high sampling rate and a dynamic range of the microphone in the -80...+140 dB range (with no appreciable noise at -80dB; I know of no such recording device).

Even if you had the perfect sound sample, you could neither recreate the full dynamic range with commercially available sound equipment nor would you actually want to do it (you'd need ear protection or otherwise face eardrum rupture as a consequence, opening the door for litigation). So, there simply is a limit to what both technology and common sense allow.

Finally there's the psychological effect associated with such a sound. At eSim Games we give our tank gun sounds artificially a bit more bass (just in case that you have a subwoofer connected to rattle your house, and the neighbors) because that gives the right effect of sounding more impressive, even though a neutral sound characteristic would favor the higher noise frequencies (but you can't have the full dynamic range, see above).

At eSim Games we give our tank gun sounds artificially a bit more bass (just in case that you have a subwoofer connected to rattle your house, and the neighbors) because that gives the right effect of sounding more impressive...

...and my neighbors thank you, I'm sure! :sonic:

Well I have taken the sample from the same video, and same "scene". So its pretty much identical.

Indeed it is. My intent was to make the point that your mod is more adequate as the M1A1/2 gun sound.

Of course, this is just me... :clin:

Interesting in the video that the TC's huge RWS obscures so much of their forward view. The one TC was trying to look around it from both sides.

I thought the same. The M1A2 SEPv3 is to be equipped with a new Low Profile (LP) Common Remotely Operated Weapon System (CROWS) as described pages 10-11 of the Jan-Feb edition of ARMOR, available here:

http://www.benning.army.mil/armor/eARMOR/content/issues/2014/JAN_FEB/ARMOR_Jan-Feb14_edition.pdf

It's also worth noting the new M829A4 and Advanced Multi Purpose (AMP) rounds being fielded with the v3.

Interesting in the video that the TC's huge RWS obscures so much of their forward view. The one TC was trying to look around it from both sides.

Well one could argue that depending on the nature being fired, the Commander should be down anyway and glued to the CITV. :)