TGIF videos

Rotareneg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
I've been cutting out bits when no one was speaking and nothing "interesting" was happening on my end, but this time I thought I'd try fast-forwarding through them, and it still reduced the length of the video by 28 minutes.

Good idea. It allows you to still see what happened at a glance. :luxhello:

Hi Rotareneg,

First of all thanks for all the vids of the TGIF nights you upload,I really enjoy watching them all.

I watched the latest one and didn't think it was as good as your usual standard buddy,please don't take this as any kind of slight at all,I just think when they are longer/seeing all the action,it gives a really good idea of your tactics and positioning,trying to see if the plan comes together.

For myself anyway,when it sped up and slowed down it kind of spoiled it somehow to watch (watched it all tho),even though I realized why it was done.

This is just a little feedback and obviously it's up to you how you upload but I for one would be chuffed if you uploaded the full scenarios,even the boring bits. :ANI_army:

Again thanks for all the uploads pal,

Mick. :)

+ 1

I love the videos but this "fast forward" idea, esp. as I didn't know it was coming, produced a lot of garbled audio (voices, firing, etc. at x2 time) and jerky movement.

Perhaps a fade, "5 mins later" text, then resume?

That maybe a bunch more effort though.

Just one person's opinion.

It is interesting to see How the other side reacts to, and perceives what My side was doing. Some of what I intended to have the enemy think or do happened and some did not. The artillery at the Bridging area being referred to as "Guessing" is one example. Gibsonm spotted a bridge layer and gave Me a grid reference.

We blew up several bridges with IED's at the start and thought that was the reason for Blue and Greens slow attack. One knocked out rail bridge did cause some problems later in the battle but.. After watching the video it seams being to thorough with the recon may have been more of a factor. Had Blue and Green attacked 10 or 15 min's sooner We could have lost the pumping station and the battle.

The video jumps around a lot because Rotar had a lot of stuff to control. I watched it with the actual AAR up to reference. I pause after events happen in the video then see exactly what I was doing and remember what I was thinking, compared to the opponent.

From now on when I Co You must be on the opposing side Rotar. I love the Info.

My personal favourite was the M113 mortar track diving down the 80% slope road, power sliding and ending up in the lake. :)

Also the civvie car was there because it got "bogged" just being parked off the side of the road (teaching point for me next time - keep civilian cars on raods/tracks). I then promptly forgot I could detonate it when the BTR started doing laps around it.

It is interesting to see How the other side reacts to, and perceives what My side was doing. Some of what I intended to have the enemy think or do happened and some did not. The artillery at the Bridging area being referred to as "Guessing" is one example. Gibsonm spotted a bridge layer and gave Me a grid reference.

We blew up several bridges with IED's at the start and thought that was the reason for Blue and Greens slow attack. One knocked out rail bridge did cause some problems later in the battle but.. After watching the video it seams being to thorough with the recon may have been more of a factor. Had Blue and Green attacked 10 or 15 min's sooner We could have lost the pumping station and the battle.

The video jumps around a lot because Rotar had a lot of stuff to control. I watched it with the actual AAR up to reference. I pause after events happen in the video then see exactly what I was doing and remember what I was thinking, compared to the opponent.

My battle plan was to probe forward with most of the National Army's recce assets, its M901s, and a few tanks into the eastern 2/3 of the map in an effort to draw in the bulk of your high-tech force. Once we confirmed the presence of the high-tech element, all of Blue and the bulk of National Army's tanks and mech infantry were to attack in in the western 1/3 of the map, out of staging positions across the river. Meanwile, we had the Apache in BPs in the east, hoping to get flank shots at your units repositioning to the west.

Bad plan, because it didn't occur to me that you could abandon the eastern 2 objectives and still win. We eventually discerned that you had most of your assets in the western half of the province, but we had some trouble massing our Blue force to attack on a new axis. So, our attack jumped off late.

I doubt we could have taken Marja pumping station, given that you guys still had the bulk of your high-tech force in the area. Frankly, I'm not sure Blue/National Army can win this one at all, given that OPFOR/Insurgents have the advantage of defense, and the two forces are roughly equal in combat material. Last Friday, we had the advantage of having more players on our side, so that may explain why we did as well as we did.

Bad plan, because it didn't occur to me that you could abandon the eastern 2 objectives and still win. We eventually discerned that you had most of your assets in the western half of the province, but we had some trouble massing our Blue force to attack on a new axis. So, our attack jumped off late.

I doubt we could have taken Marja pumping station, given that you guys still had the bulk of your high-tech force in the area. Frankly, I'm not sure Blue/National Army can win this one at all, given that OPFOR/Insurgents have the advantage of defense, and the two forces are roughly equal in combat material. Last Friday, we had the advantage of having more players on our side, so that may explain why we did as well as we did.

Well your National forces where t-72's our Insurgent forces where t-62's. Equal numbers but one much more effective than the other. Also Blue/National had a large deployment area to attack from.

. I would not go as far as to say " I'm not sure Blue/National can win this one at all", after saying "Bad plan".

Well Marja would have been a mini Stalingrad.

I think on Orange we had 6 x T-72 (I was pleasantly surprised to find Orange tank platoon are 6 vehicles) and at least 4 x T-62 along with a bunch of VBIEDs as well as infantry, etc. Add to that whatever Red brought to the fight.

So the long range technical superiority of the Blue kit would have been to an extent neutralised.

Well your National forces where t-72's our Insurgent forces where t-62's. Equal numbers but one much more effective than the other. Also Blue/National had a large deployment area to attack from.

. I would not go as far as to say " I'm not sure Blue/National can win this one at all", after saying "Bad plan".

Yes, but OPFOR had 9 x Leo2A5s, to our 5 SEPs. Plus, our Apache was basically defanged by the recent update to the AGM-114C. But more importantly:

Historical experience shows that a defender has about a 50-50 probability of successfully defeating an attacking force approximately three times his equivalent strength. The defender has many advantages: full use of cover and concealment, selection of the ground on which to fight, weapons sighted for maximum effectiveness, choice of firing first, and use of obstacle value of the terrain.

(US Command & General Staff College, Student Text 100-3 (emphasis added)).

Also from ST 100-3:

Historical minimum planning ratios:

Friendly mission: Delay

Minimum ratio of friendly to enemy: 1 : 6

Friendly mission: prepared/fortified defense

Minimum ratio of friendly to enemy: 1:3

Friendly mission: hasty defense

Minimum ratio of friendly to enemy: 1:2.5

Friendly mission: attack ENY prepared/fortified defensive position

Minimum ratio of friendly to enemy: 3:1

Friendly mission: attack ENY hasty defensive position

Minimum ratio of friendly to enemy: 2.5:1

Friendly mission: counterattack ENY flank

Minimum ratio: 1:1

Surely, it's not your position that the T-72 vs T-62 issue skews the force ratio significantly past 1:1?

And yes, my plan had a significant oversight, but reviewing the AAR, I'm not sure that even a more timely attack in the west would have produced a different outcome. By the end, we had just 1 SEP remaining, versus 6 Leo2A5s.

(Source: US Command & General Staff College, Student Text 100-3)

Also from ST 100-3:

Historical minimum planning ratios:

Friendly mission: Delay

Minimum ratio of friendly to enemy: 1 : 6

Friendly mission: prepared/fortified defense

Minimum ratio of friendly to enemy: 1:3

Friendly mission: hasty defense

Minimum ratio of friendly to enemy: 1:2.5

Friendly mission: attack ENY prepared/fortified defensive position

Minimum ratio of friendly to enemy: 3:1

Friendly mission: attack ENY hasty defensive position

Minimum ratio of friendly to enemy: 2.5:1

Friendly mission: counterattack ENY flank

Minimum ratio: 1:1

I don't put to much faith in fixed doctrine, and formulas. I do think that Blue/National under the right circumstances can give the opposition a run for it's money. I remember back on 9-27-13 the first time we played this Blue/National still lost but Red/Insurgents where on their last leg by the end of it. The Scene was tested once and redone by Volcano. I trust His judgment that each side has a reasonable chance to win.

I don't put to much faith in fixed doctrine, and formulas. I do think that Blue/National under the right circumstances can give the opposition a run for it's money. I remember back on 9-27-13 the first time we played this Blue/National still lost but Red/Insurgents where on their last leg by the end of it. The Scene was tested once and redone by Volcano. I trust His judgment that each side has a reasonable chance to win.

Well, I'd like to see an AAR for this mission in which Blue won. Can you post the AAR for the 9/27/13 mission?

Well, I'd like to see an AAR for this mission in which Blue won. Can you post the AAR for the 9/27/13 mission?

Well this has only been played 2 times and Blue/National lost both times, so good luck with Your search.

I don't have an AAR for the first battle. I did not Co but remember it being a desperate battle in the West.

I was hoping someone else would also record the games so we could see and hear both sides.

I think I'll go back to uploading the full unedited videos, which would make matching up the AAR to events in the video much easier.

I was hoping someone else would also record the games so we could see and hear both sides.

I think I'll go back to uploading the full unedited videos, which would make matching up the AAR to events in the video much easier.

Yay,

Cheers Rotar,it's appreciated pal for the time you take to upload these TGIF vids as there isn't that many uploaders of SB scenarios on YT.

It would be really awesome if we got some action from the other side as well but I realize how much time and effort would go into putting this together,keep up the good work man. :luxhello:

Mick. :)