Niinisalo map and Scenarios

Zipuli

Hello!

I uploaded a new map of Niinisalo training area, Finland some time ago. Get the map here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/253/p13_fileid/2598

Soon I will post a few platoon/company size single player/multiplayer COOP scenarios based on the said map!

Here's a small peek at what's coming...

First one is maybe not for a rookie, but for those who love challenge. It takes place in 1997, between Finns and Swedes:

"During the late 1990s the Swedes fielded impressive new equipment for their mechanized forces: The Strv 122 and Strf 90. At the same time Finnish armoured units relied on Russian designs: T-55M, T-72M1, BMP-1 and BMP-2, bought from Soviet Union, later Russia and Germany (the armour surplus of DDR). During the day Finnish army had more armour than ever before and were able to field two fully mechanized Armour Brigades. The T-72 was held in high regard, until everyone saw on TV what the coalition forces did to Iraqi army with similar equipment. A hot debate over the quality and potential of the Russian equipment followed. But Finnish tankers believed that tactics and skill would rule over technical superiority...

In this scenario a Swedish mechanized company with the latest equipment is taking part in an exercise at Niinisalo's Pohjankangas area. A Finnish tank company is heading to meet them and to stop their attack. Would "the underdogs" manage to get the upper hand when fighting the latest the world of armour has to offer?

The Swedes have superiority in all technical areas against your tanks:

- Thermal sights, capable of seeing through smoke

- Hunter-Killer capability

- State of the art fire-control systems with capability to fire accurately on the move

- Ammunition that can penetrate your tanks from all sides and engagement ranges... even the IFVs can penetrate your armour from sides!

- Better armour protection (theoretical immunity against your ammunition from the front sector?)

- Better mobility (forwards AND backwards!)

Your only upside is that your tanks are smaller...

But don't fall into despair! The balance can be leveled by cunning use of terrain, tactics and evil state of mind from your side!"

56e83d05d1be1_swedes1.jpg.3b4ebdc0bd9b4b

56e83d0616141_theunderdog.jpg.161de33702

56e83d05d1be1_swedes1.jpg.3b4ebdc0bd9b4b

56e83d0616141_theunderdog.jpg.161de33702

First try... Those Strvs are tough! Managed to kill the CVs mostly, and to wound one tank, but it is truly challenging even against the AI!

By the way, the AI will have 4 plans in this scenario, and it may even adapt to blue side actions if possible =)

56e83d0621b71_t-72platoon.jpg.1f456c0833

56e83d0628ec3_swedesinposition.jpg.0b2da

56e83d062b303_swedesadvance.jpg.1639856b

casualties.jpg.7a554e05d619f4e13ed9bf3c4

56e83d0621b71_t-72platoon.jpg.1f456c0833

56e83d0628ec3_swedesinposition.jpg.0b2da

56e83d062b303_swedesadvance.jpg.1639856b

casualties.jpg.7a554e05d619f4e13ed9bf3c4

First scenario uploaded:

Time to try your T-72 skills against Strv 122s! It's doable, but not easy. The scenario is called "Niinisalo - The Underdogs" and is good for single player, but to get the most out of it, try multiplayer COOP!

AARs and feedback appreciated ;)

underdogs.jpg.31300d7eedb7edaa6a6ae35be9

underdogs.jpg.31300d7eedb7edaa6a6ae35be9

Very nice scenario (in fact, i don`t remember bad missions by Zipuli :)). First attempt was not succesful for me, it`s only 150 points, so i won`t post my AAR, but it`s kind of pleasure going to bed after killing some Strvs :)

P.S.: never thought CV90 can be destroyed with BMP`s PG-9 in front sector...

While playing this scenario, I noticed I have external (F8) zoom while using the BMPs, but not with the T-72s. I suppose this could be a feature to make up for the lack of binos/gunsights, but I don't remember reading about it. I'll re-check the release notes of recent versions.

I'm using the new 64 bit beta and have verified the realism setting is on "high".

The observer view (and zoom) is always available on "unmanned" vehicles, except for medics.

Not quite "always".

F8 Zoom disappears as the "Realism"/ "Difficulty" (can't recall offhand which one determines it) settings increase, along with other things like the red artillery impact boxes, etc.

The F8 zoom remains available at high realism for non-crewable vehicles, like the BMPs, for example.

????

Wonder why, dare I say a "bug" or at least an "exploit"?

People could use these as excellent scouting vehicles as they can "see" better from them than crewed ones.

• Members

It is a feature. In fact, I'm wondering where all this "exploit" lore is coming from. Yes, the external observer is above the vehicle -- but the zoomed in view is not! It gives the point of view of the vehicle commander, unbuttoned.

If this is not the case with a certain vehicle, then that would be a bug, enabling an exploit.

It is a feature. In fact, I'm wondering where all this "exploit" lore is coming from. Yes, the external observer is above the vehicle -- but the zoomed in view is not! It gives the point of view of the vehicle commander, unbuttoned.

If this is not the case with a certain vehicle, then that would be a bug, enabling an exploit.

Well I don't want to get bogged down in a session in semantics but if I somehow arrange things so I have two vehicles traveling side by side I can now get two views:

The first being say standing erect in the commander's position and looking (X1) or using my binos (magnified but not stabilised).

I can then jump to the nearby uncrewed vehicle go to F8 and potentially look at the same spot "using" (since we don't like "exploit") the zoom function and get a stabilised view of potentially the same thing.

Alternatively I can use an uncrewed vehicle to do scouting because it has the zoomed F8 view whereas another vehicle in my force (perhaps even one meant to be used in the reconnaissance role) only has the unstabilised mk1 eye ball / bouncing bino view.

Even, better I don't risk an exposed crew commander in the event of indirect fire, etc.

Not saying I'm going to do it, just pointing it out.

Or did I miss something?

IMO, there are at least three problems with the F8 view:

1. It allows you to pull your vehicle into not just turret defilade, but also full defilade, and still have visibility.
  2. Unlike an exposed TC, you're immune to direct/indirect fire.
  3. Since anyone can access the F8 view on any friendly vehicle (whereas only the vehicle owner can access the TC position), the F8/observer position is commonly misused by jumping from vehicle to vehicle around the battlefield, giving players an unrealistic degree of SA. "Turret Fairying" is another variation, where, in addition to the vehicle crew, you have multiple players in F8 spotting for the vehicle.

There should be a way to eliminate the F8 view for crewed vehicles in networked missions. Eliminating the zoomed view only goes so far. One need only look at the profusion of Youtube vids to see that use of the Observer position still predominates over the F7 position, notwithstanding the lack of zoom capability in the former.

Granted, for non-crewable vehicles, there is no alternative to an external view, but at a minimum, the unzoomed viewpoint also should be lowered to that of an unbuttoned TC.