Golan Heights revised.

DarkAngel

Uploaded a revised version of the Golan Heights heightmap and terrain map. This is mainly for Lt. George but feel free to have a look. Terrain map is from OSM data and contains a fairy well detailed road network. There are no buildings as this data set currently doesn't have any!!.

Links to follow once the files are approved.

Here is an image showing the change. The yellow box is the existing heightmap. The orange box is the revised map area.

Links:-

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/252/p13_fileid/2605

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/253/p13_fileid/2606

Golan_Area.jpg.f59e59b48032592cdf1a70c83

Golan_Area.jpg.f59e59b48032592cdf1a70c83

Edited by DarkAngel

Uploaded a revised version of the Golan Heights heightmap and terrain map. This is mainly for Lt. George but feel free to have a look. Terrain map is from OSM data and contains a fairy well detailed road network. There are no buildings as this data set currently doesn't have any!!.

Links to follow once the files are approved.

Here is an image showing the change. The yellow box is the existing heightmap. The orange box is the revised map area.

Dribble

• 2 years later...

At the initial phase of the 1973 war, the Syrian forces broke through the IDF southern sector defenses and managed to reach as near as 6-7 kms from the Kinneret lake, near Kanaf. They also reached El-Al, Katzabiya and Nafakh. Before their were destroyed by the arriving Israeli reserves, the Syrian force of the 47th armored brigade excitingly radioed their HQ that they can see Tiberias on the western bank of the lake.

By the end of the war, in addition to all the territory it lost, the IDF also took the territory between the Hermon mountain top, Mizraat Beit Jann, Tell Shams, Tell Maree, Tell Antar, Tell Al-Mal, Tell Maskhara and Umm-Bootna. "Tell" means a volcanic hill.

The original Israeli goal was to reach Kanakir, in order to put the outskirts of Damascus in the range of the M50 howitzers (French-made 155mm howitzers on Sherman chassis), but the arrival of the Iraqi armor to the Israeli southern flank made Israel settle on shelling Damascus Al-Maza airbase and other nearby bases with M107s from Mizraat Beit Jann (the control tower took a direct hit).

The book "Inside Israel's Northern Command: The Yom Kippur War on the Syrian border" by Dani Asher is recommended for anyone interested.

Israeli and Syrian forces kept exchanging fire until June 1974, when a disengagement agreement was signed and a UN-manned buffer zone was created.

Israeli forces leaving Tell Shams on June 18th, 1974:

145139.jpg

145261.jpg

Edited by Iarmor

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

1. Save the map as some other name (to avoid overwriting the original).

2. Zoom in - so you can adjust the building's position.

3. Select "Object" from the table on the right hand side beneath the terrain palette.

4. Pick a sub category "Residential" or "Highrise" or whatever.

5. Scroll down through the choices.

6. Click on the item you chose. Now you'll appreciate zooming in.

7. Click on the map to place one building. Click as many times as you need that type of building to populate the map.

8. Click "Select" . This has two effects:

a.  The building type you used will be added to the "recently used list" - so if you need more its already there.

i. I tend to also write them down as this "recently used list" is only valid for that session - so when you re-open the editor for session 2 it will be gone.

b. If you click on a building there is a pointer showing you the "front" so you can move / rotate it without them all just pointing East.

You can shift click to move multiple buildings, etc.

Then you need to start using the F1 key to see the 3D world and ensure the building doesn't block a road, or is buried in a hill side or whatever.

Edited by Gibsonm

10 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Earlier today we played a scenario on the original Golan map  where vehicles were hitting invisible objects and losing track. 

Im not sure which map youre referring to exactly, but i havent encountered that issue in my experience with Dark's earlier Golan map, is it possible that vehicles were losing tracks due to high speeds over bumpy terrain/rocks etc?

I dont know the version. 

But we lost almost 10 callsigns because they drove over fist sized rocks which with maximum graphics appear quite suddenly... very strange.

Moreover in each and every case then they had damage to the right roadwheels AND the right track was damaged/detracked.

EDIT: I just made a testscen with #Golan_revised1a.ter, and had the same problem within minutes of driving full speed through terrain where there were only small rocks. Again Right Track and right wheels damage. I havent experienced this with any other map.

But could just be me that havent understood that small rocks can break your Track

Edited by Nike-Ajax