Tanker Books/Novels

glcanon

I've just finished this book, very good, thoroughly enjoyed it, it's written in a style I particularly like using interviews with surviving members of the regiment and diary extracts from others not so fortunate.

51dd0UJfzPL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

From the evacuation of France in 1940 to the final dash to Hamburg in 1945, the 5th Royal Tank Regiment were on the front line throughout the Second World War. Theirs was a war that saw them serve in Africa as part of the Desert Rats, before returning to Europe for the Normandy landings. Wherever they went, the notoriety of the 'Filthy Fifth' grew - they revelled in their reputation for fighting by their own rules.

The Tank War explains how Britain, having lost its advantage in tank warfare by 1939, regained ground through shifts in tactics and leadership methods, as well as the daring and bravery of the crews themselves. Overturning the received wisdom of much Second World War history, Mark Urban shows how the tank regiments' advances were the equal of the feats of the German Panzer divisions.

Drawing on a wealth of new material, from interviews with surviving soldiers to rarely seen archive material, this is an unflinchingly honest, unsentimental and often brutal account of the 5th RTR's wartime experiences. Capturing the characters in the crews and exploring the strategy behind their success, The Tank War is not just the story of an battle hardened unit, but something more extraordinary: the triumph of ordinary men, against long odds, in the darkest of times.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tank-War-British-Brothers-Regiments/dp/034900014X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450611467&sr=1-1&keywords=the+tank+war

I've just finished this book, very good, thoroughly enjoyed it, it's written in a style I particularly like using interviews with surviving members of the regiment and diary extracts from others not so fortunate.

51dd0UJfzPL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

From the evacuation of France in 1940 to the final dash to Hamburg in 1945, the 5th Royal Tank Regiment were on the front line throughout the Second World War. Theirs was a war that saw them serve in Africa as part of the Desert Rats, before returning to Europe for the Normandy landings. Wherever they went, the notoriety of the 'Filthy Fifth' grew - they revelled in their reputation for fighting by their own rules.

The Tank War explains how Britain, having lost its advantage in tank warfare by 1939, regained ground through shifts in tactics and leadership methods, as well as the daring and bravery of the crews themselves. Overturning the received wisdom of much Second World War history, Mark Urban shows how the tank regiments' advances were the equal of the feats of the German Panzer divisions.

Drawing on a wealth of new material, from interviews with surviving soldiers to rarely seen archive material, this is an unflinchingly honest, unsentimental and often brutal account of the 5th RTR's wartime experiences. Capturing the characters in the crews and exploring the strategy behind their success, The Tank War is not just the story of an battle hardened unit, but something more extraordinary: the triumph of ordinary men, against long odds, in the darkest of times.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tank-War-British-Brothers-Regiments/dp/034900014X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450611467&sr=1-1&keywords=the+tank+war

+1. Bought this on Crusty's recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

Hey guys, some of these have probably been posted but these are the ones I have on my book case.

1.Thunder Run: The Armoured Strike to Capture Baghdad (Mark Bowden) 5/5

2.Heavy Metal: A Tank Company's Battle to Baghdad (Jason Conroy) 3/5

3.Once A Marine (Nick Poaditch) 3/5

4.Military Briefs No.5 - Australian Leopard AS1 Family of Vehicles by John Myszka 10/10

5.Australian Army - 1st Brigade Paul Brickles 3/5

6.Battlegroup Leopard - Australian Armour Exercises in the North (Michael K. Cecil) 10/10

7.Trackpad Publishing has a new one which I haven't looked at yet though, and it is Leopard AS1 – Leopard in Australian Service

http://www.trackpadpublishing.com/#!leopard-as1/cn3i

8.Australian Light Armoured Vehicle Military Briefs 4 (John Myszka)

10/10

Regards, Brad.

• 3 weeks later...

Counter Insurgency by David Kilcullen.

Many thanks to the person who recommended this to me in an earlier thread about counter insurgency tactics. It is essentially a manual for company commanders. Amazing what has been learned and put into practice in this sphere since Vietnam. But unfortunately, efforts on the ground will be totally ineffective if the population prefers life under the insurgents to life under an uncaring, brutal and corrupt government. You have to ask sometimes; Are we on the right side?

• 1 month later...
Hey guys, some of these have probably been posted but these are the ones I have on my book case.

1.Thunder Run: The Armoured Strike to Capture Baghdad (Mark Bowden) 5/5

2.Heavy Metal: A Tank Company's Battle to Baghdad (Jason Conroy) 3/5

3.Once A Marine (Nick Poaditch) 3/5

4.Military Briefs No.5 - Australian Leopard AS1 Family of Vehicles by John Myszka 10/10

5.Australian Army - 1st Brigade Paul Brickles 3/5

6.Battlegroup Leopard - Australian Armour Exercises in the North (Michael K. Cecil) 10/10

7.Trackpad Publishing has a new one which I haven't looked at yet though, and it is Leopard AS1 – Leopard in Australian Service

http://www.trackpadpublishing.com/#!leopard-as1/cn3i

8.Australian Light Armoured Vehicle Military Briefs 4 (John Myszka)

10/10

Regards, Brad.

Nice list AussieBrad. The books on the AS1 look interesting but 'Battlegroup Leopard - Australian Armour Exercises in the North' has gone onto my Wish List. It's out of print, so expensive (about NZD 80 including shipping), so I'll buy it when my better half is unlikely to raise a protest. I think it'll be a great resource for scenario development.

EDIT: I found it for NZD 57 from a bookseller in the UK so bought it today.

About Generals Black and Von Mellenthin....

Don't know if was already posted here, but during May 1980 they were invited to a conference of tactical warfare.

The purpose of that conference was to examine the German experiences in fighting the Russians on the previous two world wars and what kind of lessons the NATO could learn from that experiences.

Attached is the 61 pages reports a of that meeting.

I find it very interesting.

56e83d2c61004_MellenthinandNATO_zip.43b3

Mellenthin and NATO.zip

• 2 weeks later...

I've just placed an order for a used copy of "Armies of NATO's Central Front" by David C. Isby. I found it for about $158US which is actually a deal considering that I usually find them going for way more than $200 used (I see one in Very Good condition selling for nearly $600). If the companion book, "Weapons and Tactics of the Soviet Army" by the same author is any indication, this book should be an excellent resource. Hopefully the used condition is not too bad. I'm looking forward to receiving it soon.

Just wanted to give a heads up for you armor fans here. In fact, I just saw a copy available for $120US now!

About Generals Black and Von Mellenthin....

Don't know if was already posted here, but during May 1980 they were invited to a conference of tactical warfare.

The purpose of that conference was to examine the German experiences in fighting the Russians on the previous two world wars and what kind of lessons the NATO could learn from that experiences.

Attached is the 61 pages reports a of that meeting.

I find it very interesting.

Nice find, Swiso. Great read over breakfast this morning, and a great resource for Fulda and Hanover scenarios.

The Tank Factory: British Military Vehicle Development and the Chobham Establishment – June 1, 2015

by William Suttie (Author)

:cvc::cvc::cvc::cvc:

Wouldn't be my first choice for a beginner tanker but for those of us that have large libraries it's a must:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0750961228?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

I've not seen this book before, thanks for pointing it out, order placed :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok small feedback. If you are into chieftain and other book focusing on tankers this is not it. 

This is basically a written complaint that we in nato doesn't realise the danger of not taking warnings about future seriously.  

If you are in to political behind nato,nato countries etc then read this.  If you are fan of black effect,chieftains and so on then save the cash for another book.