Tanker Books/Novels

glcanon

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2016 at 9:43 PM, TSe419E said:

Didn't this have a 4th of July release, previously? Now September?

EDIT: I placed a pre-order since B&N showed a release date of 15 July.

I was sent this coupon code for 15% off anything, in case anyone is interested (good until 15 August 2016): HQDPCJES1JF4N

Edited by Scrapper_511
update w/ coupon code

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2016 at 3:22 AM, Scrapper_511 said:

Didn't this have a 4th of July release, previously? Now September?

EDIT: I placed a pre-order since B&N showed a release date of 15 July.

I was sent this coupon code for 15% off anything, in case anyone is interested (good until 15 August 2016): HQDPCJES1JF4N

I was just notified that this book has shipped.

On August 8, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Furia said:

Has anyone read this one?

We Were Soldiers Too: Serving As A Reagan Soldier During The Cold War

Has very good crititcs.

I am considering buying it for my Kindle

I liked it.  I don't agree with his assessment that basic is brainwashing but it is what I expected from a non-writer describing his experiences thirty years later.  I definitely think it is worth the Kindle price.

Edited by TSe419E

5 hours ago, TSe419E said:

I was just notified that this book has shipped.

Yeah even though I cancelled my open order, they still shipped it (and charged me, of course) and I received it yesterday. Unfortunately it wasn't proof-read by competent human eyes. Just reading the jacket, the foreword, and the first chapters, already there are half a dozen typos or grammatical errors. There are errors in parallelism where new content is added to existing text. Personally this is quite distracting but I am still trying to enjoy reading on (merit to original).

Here are some examples (from Team Yankee Revised and Expanded Edition by Harold Coyle):

On the jacket: "It puts the reader in the tank turret of team commander Captain Sean Bannon they fight the war across the plains of Western Europe." < missing "as" between Bannon and they

In foreword (addendum): "New weapons systems, such as the M-1 Abrams tank were being fielded as quickly as they had completed their trails and were type-classified."

Ch.2, pg 27: "As if in response to Bannon's desperate effort to deny the reality of their situation, a crash and rumble like distant thunder rolled over them, causing the two commanders snapped their heads back toward the east."

25 minutes ago, Scrapper_511 said:

there are half a dozen typos or grammatical errors

That kind of stuff irks me, too. Sometimes I think I should have been an editor...or that I should even volunteer to proofread books. On some other forums, I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi. Especially when I can tell that the writer is a native English speaker.

I let a lot slide on this forum because I know English is a second (or third) language for many here. Usually, their English is much better than my German/Russian/Spanish, etc. :D

1 hour ago, Lt DeFault said:

That kind of stuff irks me, too.

I let a lot slide on this forum because I know English is a second (or third) language for many here. :D

You and me both, Sean, you and me both.

Besides, it'd be counterproductive since this place is my outlet from my daily grind.

But seriously, even a single typo is inexcusable for a novel and author of this caliber.

Edited by Scrapper_511

On 8/24/2016 at 10:33 PM, Scrapper_511 said:

Yeah even though I cancelled my open order, they still shipped it (and charged me, of course) and I received it yesterday. Unfortunately it wasn't proof-read by competent human eyes. Just reading the jacket, the foreword, and the first chapters, already there are half a dozen typos or grammatical errors. There are errors in parallelism where new content is added to existing text. Personally this is quite distracting but I am still trying to enjoy reading on (merit to original).

Here are some examples (from Team Yankee Revised and Expanded Edition by Harold Coyle):

On the jacket: "It puts the reader in the tank turret of team commander Captain Sean Bannon they fight the war across the plains of Western Europe." < missing "as" between Bannon and they

In foreword (addendum): "New weapons systems, such as the M-1 Abrams tank were being fielded as quickly as they had completed their trails and were type-classified."

Ch.2, pg 27: "As if in response to Bannon's desperate effort to deny the reality of their situation, a crash and rumble like distant thunder rolled over them, causing the two commanders snapped their heads back toward the east."

Oh man.  That is just crap - and unforgivable.  Thank you for the tip off and saving me money.

8 hours ago, Scrapper_511 said:

Are you freaking kidding me?

"There was still the question, however, if he would be able to when the shit actually did hit the spinning propellers."

Pg.44 of Team Yankee Revised and Expanded edition, by Harold Coyle, published by Casemate

:-)

1 hour ago, Lt DeFault said:

Lol. It's as if the editing was outsourced to China and done with Google translate.

*No offense to any Chinese reading this.

Yeah, that's beyond a typo or a mispronunciation. Something was definitely lost during translation. The publisher is based out of US and UK, so go figure. I suspect somebody was trying to inflate the word/page count. "Spinning Propellers" is on a line of its own on the page. If the word "fan" was used, it would've compressed the paragraph to one less line.

I'm going to put this book down and watch some Family Guy, which is intentionally funny.

Edited by Scrapper_511

• 2 weeks later...

A source of scenarios for a global "future" war is Jeff Head's - Dragon's Fury (Vols 1-5) published 2001 on. 

http://www.jeffhead.com/dragonsfury/

Free PDF book at link above.  2nd hand hardcopy available via Amazon/eBay.

It does have a Tom Clancy feel and covers a global war - so may be useful for "out of the box" scenario ideas.   IIRC novel idea is mainland USA being invaded from Central America via Mexico ( hmmm .....  I wonder if D.Trump read this book :o ).

I did read this when it was published - some time ago now - book covers strategic situation more so, but does have a few tactical vignettes.   Author has a political message about western technology.

Anybody else read this ?

9 hours ago, Scrapper_511 said:

It was an odd plot, but interesting to see how the two forces fought each other. Sword Point is my favorite of all Harold Coyle's books that I've read.

<SPOILER ALERT!>I think the most utterly cringeworthy plot device was the US sympathiser Luftwaffe avionics tec. who had every Tornado in their entire fleet stripped of vital circuit boards so they could be sent to him to be smashed up with a hammer. That's right. One lowly avionics tec. grounds their entire Tornado fleet in the middle of a conflict and it draws no suspicion whatsoever from anyone.</SPOILER ALERT!>

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.amazon.com/Steeds-Steel-History-American-Mechanized/dp/0760333602/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474601116&sr=8-1&keywords=steeds+of+steel

Steeds of Steel: A History of American Mechanized Cavalry in World War II.  I can highly recommend this book for anyone interested in armoured cavalry / reconnaissance, from World War 2 through to present day.  It explores the doctrinal development of U.S. mechanised cavalry through the inter-war years into World War 2 and then covers each theatre of employment.  These units were the direct forebears of the famous, but now defunct, U.S. Armored Cavalry Regiments, but their organic combined-arms nature carries on today.  It's really interesting to see how their doctrinal and training focus on reconnaissance gave way to more conventional, line-unit taskings under the pressure of combat operations.  It's very well researched and written and an enjoyable read for those interested in the topic.   

Bought and received my copy of this book, Military Briefs No.4 - ASLAV Australian Light Armoured Vehicle by John Myszka, yesterday and can't recommend it to fans of the ASLAV highly enough.  It includes an incredible level of detail about every aspect of the ASLAV and each of its variants and many, many high-quality colour photos, cutaways and other diagrams, including a squadron vehicle and call sign template(!). http://www.mheaust.com.au/MHE/Books/Milbrief4.htm

It's expensive at AUD $55.00 plus shipping but worth every penny in my opinion.  It's one of the most, if not the most, detailed vehicle-specific books in my library.  You're unlikely to want for information on the ASLAV after purchasing this... 

Since the release of 4.0 I am very much interested in the Cold War era and reading som interesting books about it.

This is the very last one I have pruchased for my Kinddle and so far it is looking quite interesting.

5c5245a8-d60d-4f07-ab31-bf898f588ca5_1.f

Cold War in Germany in 1968.