Tanker Books/Novels

glcanon

• Members

Hans-Peter Lohmann's book "Spähpanzer Luchs" from Motorbuch Verlag is probably the most comprehensive source ... but I don't think it was ever translated to English. Lohmann's book "Schützenpanzer Marder" was also pretty good (with co-author Rolf Hilmes) - but again, probably in German only. So, that would be the Tankograd's distinct advantage, being bilingual right from the start.

19 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Hans-Peter Lohmann's book "Spähpanzer Luchs" from Motorbuch Verlag is probably the most comprehensive source ... but I don't think it was ever translated to English.

Yes, I've looked for an English translation but never found one.  Tankograd books are universally excellent and in English (as well as German), as you state, so I'm looking forward to this one.

• 3 months later...

A new book on the Chieftain, published 19 April 2019, that I haven't seen before but looks credible: https://www.amazon.com/Chieftain-Britains-Flawed-Masterpiece-Green/dp/8365958295

I'll put it on my Wish List and wait for some reviews to come in before purchasing as I already have some very good books on Chieftain but, if it is good, another one won't hurt!

On 6/12/2019 at 6:58 PM, hawes said:

I've just ordered this one on Challenger. https://haynes.com/en-gb/challenger-1-main-battle-tank

Yes, a fantastic title on Challenger 1, my favourite Cold War tank. But, I’d highly recommend the two Photosniper volumes and the Tankograd title to round out your collection. There are more on Challenger 1 but these are complementary and the best, in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Furia said:

Marques I recommend you this one.

Link in AMAZON

I have really enjoyed this one

I think the key difference with this one it that it is a "teaching book".

The character learns from his mistakes until he applies the various tactical considerations to achieve success and go to "light fighter" heaven.

Of course its a modernised version of "The Defence of Duffer's Drift".

14 minutes ago, Koen said:

Could it be turned into a series of SB scenario’s ?

Well some vehicle types in the book aren't in SB but you could do something similar.

Of course you and I will be busy over the next few weeks getting a long standing project finished. ;)

39 minutes ago, CharlieB said:

... wish some of these had been on the reading list as a young Tp Leader!!!

Well "Defense of Hill 781" was required reading for me when I was one - submit your book review to the Adjutant for marking.

When I became a Squadron Commander and CO I could pass on the tradition to the latest batch of Subalterns. ;)

B-GL-309-006/FT-001 First Clash was required reading when I was a subaltern and I think I was issued a copy shortly after meeting the Adjt. When  B-GL-309-007/FT-001 Counterstrike was published I read it, not as good, probably because of the change to Fantasians from Soviet.  Timing was fortuitous, was getting ready for Staff College, otherwise I would not have read it I assume.  Interest  in it was minimal I think.

Neither book was as well recieved in the CAF as outside.  That trend continues, more recently, Crisis in Zefra was panned in the Army but the USMC ordered more copies than the CA in one single order. 

I tried to get mine to read it and get them introduced to the YOs course after sub unit command.

The lessons from first clash, team Yankee  and brig Patrick cordingly’s in the eye of the storm were extremely useful when acting as the Armour Observer Mentor for Battle Group Training in the UK.

Amazing how much of the basics had been eroded by Ops in Afghanistan...

• Members

I daresay, this erosion of know-how was absolutely foreseeable. proficiency in mechanized / combined arms operations requires just three ingredients, practice, practice, and practice, and the troops were getting none of it for at least a decade if not one and a half, and that from an already eroded peak level around ODS. So where is it supposed to come from?

Well, OK. Simulations must play a bigger role because nobody wants to afford three major annual live exercises on the brigade level. I'm not convinced that simulations can deliver all critical skills, but at least they can reduce the gap towards operational readiness, and help to slow down knowledge depreciation. This is one of the reasons we decided to go the route of high res terrain and high fidelity terminal effects simulation. For many of our customers this has become the only way how they can train this. It's putting a bigger responsibility on our shoulders than I expected to carry, but, well, "rise to the occasion" or something.

Yeah, that must be it. :o

9 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Well, OK. Simulations must play a bigger role because nobody wants to afford three major annual live exercises on the brigade level. I'm not convinced that simulations can deliver all critical skills, but at least they can reduce the gap towards operational readiness, and help to slow down knowledge depreciation. This is one of the reasons we decided to go the route of high res terrain and high fidelity terminal effects simulation. For many of our customers this has become the only way how they can train this. It's putting a bigger responsibility on our shoulders than I expected to carry, but, well, "rise to the occasion" or something.

Yeah, that must be it. :o

Certainly here.

Run the sim 4 or 5 times to get the major kinks out, then do dry trg, then do live trg.

With AFVs having limits on Track kms, etc. you need to ensure that the dry / live trg is "confirmatory" as opposed to fixing elementary issues.