Tanker Books/Novels

glcanon

Zaloga also published a book titled Red Thrust that contains a series of vignettes regarding different battlefield operating systems. The tank battle you mention might be reproduced in Red Thrust.

Nope, the tank battle in "Red Thrust" is a different one than that in "Tank War Central Front".

Anyone have some recommendations on books that deal with the 100 hours of ground combat during "Desert Storm"? I´d love to know more details about the battles of the armored and mechanized infantry divisions.

That sounds fairly normal for heavily used equipments to me..

It is usually possible to keep servicability above 90% for short periods, but day-in-day-out usage, in a hostile (hot/dusty) environment.. unlikely.

Would be interesting to hear how the light mech stuff holds up, I have heard rumour that the LAV vehicles are equally unreliable if forced to run off road extensively.

a absolute must read is cauldron"from larry bond the best fic.wartime leopard1&2 battle chapters ,here is a preview":

Cauldron is a novel by Larry Bond that centers on a European financial crisis that leads to a military confrontation between the United States and France. The instrument of French imperialism in this novel is a transnational organization known as the European Confederation (EurCon). EurCon is domintated by France and Germany and bears a disturbing resemblence to the European Union. The story is set in 1998 and Bond even has a role for post-Soviet Russia."

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently not, but here are my most recent buys:

Shabtai Teveth, "The Tanks of Tammuz"

Ralph Zumbro, "The Iron Cavalry"

Alex Vernon and others, "The Eyes of Orion: Five Tank Lieutenants in the Persian Gulf War"

David Zucchino, "Thunder Run"

Tom Clancy, "Armored Cav"

Patrick Cordingley, "In the Eye of the Storm: Commanding the Desert Rats in the Gulf War"

Bryan Perrett, "Iron Fist: Classic Armoured Warfare"

Tom Carhart, "Iron Soldiers: How America´s 1st Armored Division crushed Iraq´s elite Republican Guard"

Don't know if this has already been listed, but I recently came across:

Panzer Tactics, Wolfgang Schneider. Stackpole Books.

This is written by a (former) tank officer in the Bundeswehr, and covers small unit tactics of the Wehrmacht Panzer, Schutzen, Panzerschutzen and Panzergrenadiere companies and battalions.

While some of it is historical in nature - couched in the past tense, and relates only to conditions found during WW2, most of it is written in the present tense and relates to the conditions and intentions of the employment of mobile forces both historically and in the present.

• 5 months later...
Anyone read any good tanker novels, other than the two old standards, "Team Yankee" and "The Ten Thousand" by Harold Coyle which I've read already. ?

I've heard good things about Pete Callahan's trilogy Armored Corps... but haven't read any of them.

A former business associate of mine who is a former M1A2 Plt Ldr and West Point grad said the classic text is Armored Warfare by James Frederick Charles Fuller. Amazon has it new for $83.95 (which is crazy).

Guess I'm looking for something lighter, more entertaining, and Cheaper.

BTW, watched some nice SB videos on YouTube this evening... most excellent vids by Daskal and wolfbiscuits...

where can i find the H Coyle novels?they seem to be out of print.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

51ZF26Q8JQL._SS500_.jpg

This is what I´m currently reading and so far it gives an excellent insight into the whole 1AD during Desert Storm, from the command down to individual tankers. And Carhart knows how to describe the effect of a silver bullet tearing a T-72 apart...great pick up for anyone into modern tank warfare.

• 6 months later...
http://www.woodfieldpublishing.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d178.html

"Armoured Farmer - A Tankie's Tales" looks most interesting to me. Anyone got that and can say a bit about it?

Hi there

I knew the author during our service days. His experiences cover the British Royal Armoured Corps of the 80s in particular 3 RTR.

Here is a link that has a host of reviews mostly from his former peer group.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=2209817.html

Irish

http://www.woodfieldpublishing.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d178.html

"Armoured Farmer - A Tankie's Tales" looks most interesting to me. Anyone got that and can say a bit about it?

I must also say thank you to Demolition Man for bringing that link to my attention. Having looked about the site there are many book titles that I will be aquiring. In the most they seem to be personal accounts of times past. Some of the better stories in my opinion.

Irish

• 5 months later...

Hi all, I just finished reading a book called Thunder Run. It was about the run into Baghdad. I was wondering if any of you can suggest other books along those lines, or if you have not read it, I thought it was a great read. Any suggestions are most welcome.

you might wanna try Gauldron from larry bond, wich is about a new war between Europe and The USA,a great read.!

German leopards vs US abrams...

Cauldron is a novel by Larry Bond that centers on a European financial crisis that leads to a military confrontation between the United States and France. The instrument of French imperialism in this novel is a transnational organization known as the European Confederation (EurCon). EurCon is dominated by France and Germany and bears a disturbing resemblance to the European Union. The story is set in 1998 and Bond even has a role for post-Soviet Russia.

As an economic downturn grips Europe, France and Germany use their industrial might to grab the former Warsaw Pact nations. They establish company factories, and buy out the government. However, the Eastern Europeans grow restless under French oppression. Led by Poland, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia, they confront EuroCon. The French are outraged and buy out the Russians, ending the fuel shipments to Poland. Disturbed by the bullying, America steps in with fuel shipments to Poland. The French confound this effort by sabotaging a fuel ship.

Unfortunately for the French, the Poles remain defiant and the Hungarians rebel. Hoping to stomp out the Hungarians, the French invade. Unfortunately, they are slowed by fierce Hungarian defenders. The French and Germans decide to invade Poland, hoping to make an example of them. The Poles fight back, and with U.S. and UK reinforcements, the Poles push back the Germans. Facing death between Poles and their hesitant French allies, Germany and Belgium split away, followed by the rest of EuroCon.

Also from larry bond is http://www.amazon.com/Red-Phoenix-Larry-Bond/dp/0446359688

about a North Korean invasion of the south...