Tanker Books/Novels

glcanon

Are there any books about modern tank tactics?

About leading platoons, companies maybe batallions?

End of cold war period would be okay...

I tried to find something like this for some time...but all I found were stories from tankers or tactic-books from WK2...

Does anybody know some good ones?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

"Heights of Courage" by Avigdor Kahalani is a "must read" for every tank officer.

"Thunder Run" (David Zucchino) is for tanks what "Black Hawk Down" was for Delta Force.

"Tuskers" (Pierson) didn't leave much of an impression, but wasn't bad. The same goes for "Tip of the Spear" by Michaels.

"Red Army" (Ralph Peters), "First Clash" (Kenneth Macksay), "The Defense of Hill 781" (James McDonough), "Armor Attacks" (John F. Antal), and "Combat Team" (Antal) are all fictional, but still worth to be checked out.

..."Thunder Run" (David Zucchino) is for tanks what "Black Hawk Down" was for Delta Force...

i was quite unaware of how tough that fight for Baghdad was until I read Thunder Run. Excellent read. are there any other biographies of this operation? i always heard it reported the Marines had it easy "taking" Baghdad... any histories from that perspective?

I read Thunder Run as well, as far as stuff about the Marines and Baghdad I think I saw somewhere that there were a few books on it similar to Thunder Run. I will check around next time I hit the bookstore and see what I see.

i have to add that Thunder Run was very insightful as to the need for resupply at the Bn level while conducting an operation under fire or in a hostile invironment. very good. in fact, it takes up a great part of the BN commander's (or was it the BDE Co's) energy during the second run that finally capitulated the city.

they had units going amber left and right and some that were basically non-mission capable.

I read both, "Thunder Run" first. Their fight to Bagdad was disturbing, to say the least. At one moment they were running check-point ops, at the next fighting high-intense war. Quite a rollercoaster for a pure tank company. Sure thing is, they didn´t do what they had trained for. But they adapted quite well.

i have to add that Thunder Run was very insightful as to the need for resupply at the Bn level while conducting an operation under fire or in a hostile invironment. very good. in fact, it takes up a great part of the BN commander's (or was it the BDE Co's) energy during the second run that finally capitulated the city.

they had units going amber left and right and some that were basically non-mission capable.

its almost a miracle they managed to push through like that, without more casualties.

if the iraqis had massed onto the supply lines, the whole operation would have fallen apart, and you'd have a large army running dry.

most of the supply convoys were protected by nothing more than a bunch of humvees.

its almost a miracle they managed to push through like that, without more casualties.

if the iraqis had massed onto the supply lines, the whole operation would have fallen apart, and you'd have a large army running dry.

most of the supply convoys were protected by nothing more than a bunch of humvees.

and many of those got shot and jacked up at that...yes, very good read. what was it? a mortar round or something that set off a bunch of fuelers too at one point at the first overpass? killer book.

i was quite unaware of how tough that fight for Baghdad was until I read Thunder Run. Excellent read. are there any other biographies of this operation? i always heard it reported the Marines had it easy "taking" Baghdad... any histories from that perspective?

For the Marines, one I know of is this one: http://www.amazon.de/March-Up-Taking-Baghdad-Marines/dp/0553382691/ref=pd_ys_ir_all_7

And Generation Kill...

To be published in August, this year:

Steven J Zaloga: M1 Abrams vs T-72 Ural.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/M1-Abrams-vs-T-72-Ural_9781846034077

This book belongs to the interesting "Duel" series, for which Zaloga already wrote Panther vs Sherman: Battle of the Bulge 1944,

a book that got outstanding reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Panther-Sherman-Battle-Bulge-1944/dp/184603292X/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

So even if his new book is about a subject all to familiar to us, namely Operation Desert Storm 1991, it may be interesting.

• 1 month later...

ah, copywrites will kill youtoob...

yesterday morning i learned of a book about operation Red Wing in Afghanistan 2005. many of you have probably already heard about the fight whether you are aware of it or not. the author is really amazing. i wont go into the long story, but i went way, way, way out of my way to buy the book as soon as i could. (can i get another "way"?) 24-hour shipping just wouldn't do.

here is a video of the author speaking on his experience:

Marcus Luttrell, USN (Ret.). The book is Lone Survivor. 6'5", 230 lbs SEAL. and a Texan to boot. ;)

another good video:

you'll probably recognize him from SPEC OPS photos online. i certainly did.

ah man... here's another one focusing on Lt. Murphy, CMH.