Tanker Books/Novels

glcanon

• 2 weeks later...

Well after many years of reccomendations I picked up the paper back that has been sitting on my shelf for just as many yrs and well what can I say.... It really doesnt get much better than this.

http://www.amazon.com/BRIDGE-TOO-FAR-RYAN-CORNELIUS/dp/B000J4URRI

It really is amazing how a full scale rout got turned around and the reader must ask themselfs what would have happend if everything that could have gone wrong didnt for the Allies.

Here is TOP RARE and Interesting manual for HEAVY RUSSIAN TANK. WW2 Time

please take a look to the ebay auction opened today.

EBay Auction number is: 140386013638

Here is the link to it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140386013638&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

Page 1:

Congratulations on purchasing the model IS 2 Josef Stalin Heavy Tank.

We are sure you will be pleased with its rugged off road handling.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CS is the total Holy Grail(second is "Chieftains" by Bob Forrest-Webb), even the guys at the Canadian military manual archive don´t know shit about it....gnaaah. However that copy of FC looks like a picker, got the same and like the looks of it alot more than the one with the flame on the cover.

• 1 month later...

Just finished reading Warrior's Rage: The Great Tank Battle of 73 Easting

51fTS97GiLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And I fully agree with the comments posted here.

This book is a MUST for anyone interested on actual cavalry operations and Armour.

It is a fascinating book I finished in 2 days.

It is really worth IMHO

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

For anyone who loves M1 tanks, "Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad" by David Zucchino is a must. It's like Blackhawk Down, but way better.... and with tanks. I read it because my Batallion XO was the lead tank company CO on the 2 thunder runs in 3rd ID, and people were passing the book around the unit. Well worth the read.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have nothing specific to this conflict, but there are two (translated from the Russian?) works on the Soviet involvement that are interesting, and both have been published to the public domain by the US military as training docs.

The Bear Went Over The Mountain

The Other Side Of The Mountain

• Members

Not A Good Day To Die is a good book, but a bit thin on the actual tactics. Actually, most of the books are, maybe for operational security issues, maybe because it can actually be quite difficult to reconstruct an action through interviews with the soldiers while they are still in theater (and even worse if they are already back, since the time span will blur the details even more).

Other books that I found helpful about Afghanistan:

• An Ordinary Soldier (exemplary for the description of OMLT operations) by Doug Beattie
  • Danger Close by Stuart Tootal
  • On Afghanistan by Ross Kemp
  • Helmand Assault by Ewen Southby-Tailyour

Chris Hunter's very commendable book "Eight Lives Down" is from Iraq, but the situation in Afghanistan is probably comparable (it focuses on ordnance disposal (IED defuzing) and the counter-IED intelligence work, so as such the book is of limited use for the creation of SB Pro scenarios; still worth reading though).

Dan Mills' book "Sniper One" is another account from Iraq, and focuses on the siege situation of their local camp with more or less daily insurgent attacks. That one is written from the "grunt level" but still insightful. It is probably somewhat transferable to other siege situations, e.g. undermanned military outposts, or the defense of Afghani National Police stations.

@Koen: I read alot of praise for the following books:

3 Para by Patrick Bishop

Ground Truth, sequel by same author

Roberts Ridge by Malcom MacPherson (about Op Anaconda)

Haven´t read them though. The one I got is "Special Forces: War on Terrorism in Afghanistan" and is more of a photo book...however when it came out it contained quite a nice collection of photos from the early time in Afghanistan.

• 1 month later...

On Higgen's book, isn't that an IS-3? The "dome" wasn't fielded on IS-2, to the best of my knowledge, but late war Soviet heavies aren't my speciality by any means.

Haven't read through all sixteen pages, so I apologize if I replicate someone else's suggestion. Ran across this getting lunch in a corner store waiting for a medical: Tin Soldiers, M. Farmer. Here it is on Amazon. Fairly good because it's written by a guy with experience on tanks, not a Clancy-esque novel-that-bores-you-stupid of obvious American supremacy.