Tanker Books/Novels

glcanon

RogueSnake79, don't take this the wrong way: If you wake up some day and there's a light on in your library, try not to shoot me. I promise to take good care of your books. Joking aside; those are some excellent recommendations. Thanks mate!

Armoured Thunderbolt, for example, is something I wish I'd known of a couple years back. I spent a lot of effort piecing together the same story, and I'm pretty sure I only have maybe a third of the details this fellow will have.

• 5 weeks later...
Good news! "Chieftains" has been re-published for Kindle, and the author is also pushing for a new paperback release: http://www.amazon.com/Chieftains-ebook/dp/B006ISI2DK

No more sky-high prices as the final barrier to read this most excellent novel.

If it is re-printed in paperback please keep us posted. This is on my list of books to read and it would be great to buy new rather than second hand at very high prices.

The War After Armagedon by Ralph Peters. Fictional account of a Middle East war fought in 2022 if I remember right. Tank units, mech infantry, Marines and Marine air are the stars of the novel. A New York Times best seller by a renowned military fiction author.

Exciting, sad, scary and prophetic are adjectives which don't do this one justice.

Click the Cover art for a link to Amazon.com

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHv-N4lYgEHN46NTI8ZryMvLMqsw_yAuwr0JKYEDjHZK6tRoEmNw

Don't forget the "Hello" in the call to cover the possibility of slow relays. :)

Just the way civilised people talk on the radio. :)

I notice last night that I missed a lot of the first word or two from peoples transmissions. I also found it very difficult to understand what people were saying over the noise of the tank.

Grabbed a Kindle copy (mainly to preserve the paper version on the shelf).

Found myself reading up to Chapter 9 before I stopped myself. :)

Not bad apart from the odd scanning error / typo. ;)

£6 not bad considering a new paper back is £8

Andriod phone application = £0 (Chaching!)

:biggrin:

Thanks Gibsonm!

I notice last night that I missed a lot of the first word or two from peoples transmissions. I also found it very difficult to understand what people were saying over the noise of the tank.

There's a Volume Control setting in TS that's supposed to turn down the in game volume whenever someone pipes up on TS. Check that that's checked. :smile2: for a start.

But I believe Mark knows other ways of doing it if that doesn't work.

• 3 months later...
Anyone read any good tanker novels, other than the two old standards, "Team Yankee" and "The Ten Thousand" by Harold Coyle which I've read already. ?

I've heard good things about Pete Callahan's trilogy Armored Corps... but haven't read any of them.

A former business associate of mine who is a former M1A2 Plt Ldr and West Point grad said the classic text is Armored Warfare by James Frederick Charles Fuller. Amazon has it n

ew for $83.95 (which is crazy).

Guess I'm looking for something lighter, more entertaining, and Cheaper.

BTW, watched some nice SB videos on YouTube this evening... most excellent vids by Daskal and wolfbiscuits...

Believe it or not I actually converted my audiobook of team yankee into mp3 files on cd for my long trips in traffic in the morning. Always satisfying.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone else had mentioned this one

'Battleground: The greatest tank duels in history'.

By Steven J. Zaloga.

Haven't read it yet but it looks like a good read.

Edit:

Now I have begun reading it a bit, seems there are few inaccuracies here and there, nothing serious though. May be because it wasn't proofread that well. For example it mentioned sloped armor on KV-1. I know there's slope in the lower front hull but KV-1 isn't particularly known for its sloping armor....and it describes T-34 tank features while the picture it is attached to is showing 2 German Panther tanks....

But other than that it's an enjoyable book to read.

Edited by []_--__[]KITT

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a new book out about the British exploits (all the other words to describe them contain F and U) in 1839. This was the war that - in the words of the review I read - '....launched Britain into the cycle of ill-advised Afghan adventures that continue to this day'.

The book is called Return of a King. and can be found here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Return+of+a+king

for £15.00.