Tanker Books/Novels

glcanon

5 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Certainly here.

Run the sim 4 or 5 times to get the major kinks out, then do dry trg, then do live trg.

With AFVs having limits on Track kms, etc. you need to ensure that the dry / live trg is "confirmatory" as opposed to fixing elementary issues.

Spot on and something I continued to say in my last years when serving.  Can’t waste valuable field time learning stuff. Live confirmation following intensive and continuous simulation, both virtual and constructive to train both tactics and staff...

a little off topic....

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see Armageddon's song by Andy Farman (or it didn't show up in the search).

It's a 5 books series (6 if we count the prequel during the Vietnam war) not focused on tanks but there is some"tank" action. The series depict the WW III see by the eyes of multiple characters all over the world. They die quite quickly for most of them since the war is brutal.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 10:35 PM, Koen said:

Could it be turned into a series of SB scenario’s ?

On 7/26/2019 at 10:06 AM, Gibsonm said:

Well "Defense of Hill 781" was required reading for me when I was one - submit your book review to the Adjutant for marking.

When I became a Squadron Commander and CO I could pass on the tradition to the latest batch of Subalterns. ;)

Just finished reading this one. Despite being written in 88 the debrief points probably read the same for many exercises happening today!!

A really good read for anyone wanting an insight to Battle Group (uk term) or Task Force planning tactics and execution.

i would make it compulsory reading for Pl (Tp), Coy (Sqn) leaders and HQ staffs! And all the support arms!!

The importance of a strong and capable XO (BG 2IC / COS) comes through really strong emphasising the importance of G4 logistics, medical and maintenance.

thoroughly recommended.

A series of missions. Depends if the ground is accurate to the NTC maps?  Someone more familiar with that terrain and terrain file will know better!

what to read next?

9 hours ago, Ssnake said:

If anyone's interested in WW2 stuff, Christer Bergstrom's "The Ardennes 1944-45" is probably the most comprehensive title about the Battle of the Bulge.

Urghh, I just finished re-re-watching Band Brothers.. The Battle of the Bulge gives me shivers!

One book I'd recommend about WW2 is SAS: Rogue Heroes. I think its one of the best comprehensive reads about ww2 in north afrika. I really enjoyed this one.

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2018 at 1:04 PM, Panzer_Leader said:

My next new scenario will feature the M60A3, a tank I haven't been particularly interested in previously, but am now, so thought I'd read up in advance to understand the beast.  I received them yesterday and will be tackling the following books in order:

1. M60 Main Battle Tank 1960–91 - https://ospreypublishing.com/m60-main-battle-tank-1960-91
  2. Cold War Warrior - M60/M60A1/A2/A3: The M60-Series of Main Battle Tanks in Cold War Exercises 1962-88 - https://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/Cold-War-Warrior-M60-M60A1-A2-A3.htm
  3. M60 vs T-62: Cold War Combatants 1956-92 - https://ospreypublishing.com/m60-vs-t-62

That should get me in the mood! 

I've also just ordered this book as further background on the M60A3 as I return to, hopefully, finishing my one-third developed new scenario featuring the tank: http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/sab009.htm

130-page photo-reference guide of the M60A3 "in Europe during REFORGER exercises as well as M60A3s as OPFOR at CMTC in Hohenfels and at Ft. Knox, Kentucky."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/18/2019 at 11:22 AM, Panzer_Leader said:

A new book on the Chieftain, published 19 April 2019, that I haven't seen before but looks credible: https://www.amazon.com/Chieftain-Britains-Flawed-Masterpiece-Green/dp/8365958295

I'll put it on my Wish List and wait for some reviews to come in before purchasing as I already have some very good books on Chieftain but, if it is good, another one won't hurt!

Two more titles on Chieftain I've just become aware of, one (from Tankograd) is brand new:

The title in my original post is now in my "To Read" pile on my bedside table (note this publication has probably the most detailed coverage of the Chieftain's combat history, primarily in Iranian and Kuwaiti hands and makes it unique in that regard) but I now want to purchase the two above to complete the Chieftain "theme", in addition to the titles I already have, included below for any other Chieftain fans:

Edited by Panzer_Leader

Updating my scenario 'Armoured Infantry Company Attack at Rydsgard 1991' has renewed my interest in Danish kit. I've just ordered this excellent title on the Leopard 1A5DK1 featured in Steel Beasts: https://www.trackpadpublishing.com/danish-leopard-1a5dk1

I have the 'Leopard AS1 in Australian Service’ title from the same publisher, so can vouch for their quality.

Edited by Panzer_Leader

From Google Books, about the Egyptian theater in the Yom Kippur war:

The Egyptian Strategy for the Yom Kippur war: An Analysis by Dani Asher

Soldier in the Sinai: A General's account of the Yom Kippur War by Major General Emanuel Sakal (IDF 52nd armored battalion CO during the war)

At the Decisive Point in the Sinai: Generalship in the Yom Kippur War by General Jacob Even (IDF 143rd armored division XO during the war) and Colonel Simcha B. Maoz

14 hours ago, Iarmor said:

From Google Books, about the Egyptian theater in the Yom Kippur war:

The Egyptian Strategy for the Yom Kippur war: An Analysis by Dani Asher

Soldier in the Sinai: A General's account of the Yom Kippur War by Major General Emanuel Sakal (IDF 52nd armored battalion CO during the war)

At the Decisive Point in the Sinai: Generalship in the Yom Kippur War by General Jacob Even (IDF 143rd armored division XO during the war) and Colonel Simcha B. Maoz

Interesting books, esp. the first one !

thx !

• 1 month later...

Maintaining the Israeli armour theme of the last two posts, I just finished this exceptional single volume on the Shot Kal upgrade: https://www.amazon.com/Centurion-Tanks-Shot-Alef-VOL-3/dp/098414370X/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8.

The title is now hard to find so I had to create a 'Want' at AbeBooks.com and wait for a copy to become available that way, which I immediately purchased.

The single review at Amazon.com is mine, with a direct link here if you'd like to see what I thought: https://www.amazon.com/Centurion-Tanks-Shot-Alef-VOL-3/dp/098414370X/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8#customerReviews.

Bottom line, try to get a copy if you're a fan of the Shot Kal (Alef) represented in Steel Beasts, my current tank du jour.

1 hour ago, Iarmor said:

There is a whole series of these books by Dr. Robert Manasherob of SabIngaMartin Publications:

http://www.sabingamartin.com/index.html

Two more about Centurions (earlier versions and later versions) and others about Merkavas, M48s, T-54/55/62s, etc. The books are meant for modellers but are also very interesting for armor enthusiastics.

Thanks @Iarmor. Have you come across the Desert Eagle publications on Israeli vehicles? If so, how do they compare to SabinaMartin for detail and quality?

Desert Eagle’s title on ‘Zelda M113 in IDF Service - Part 3 APC & TOGA’ is next on my list to buy with ‘Magach 3 - IDF Patton M48 - M48A3 in IDF Service Part 1‘ and ‘Magach 6A/B - IDF Patton M60A1 - M60A1 in IDF Service Part 3‘ potentially further down the track. I notice SabingaMartin also offers ‘Magach Tanks of the IDF, Volume 3, Magach 3 Tanks After the Six-Day War’ so, when it comes to Magach 3, I’d be keen to understand which is the better resource?

As you can probably tell, my interest in Israeli armour currently centres on the more modern vehicles of the Yom Kippur War, hence Shot Kal, Magach 3 / 6 and Zelda focus.

Sorry, I haven't read them so I can't compare. The sample pages of the Desert Eagle Magach 3 book look great and cover many subjects - the Six Day War (M48A2C), the Attritrition War in Sinai, the Yom Kippur War in Sinai and the crossing into Egypt, tanks with ERA, tanks at the junkyard before melting, interior (gunner and driver positions) pictures, etc. 

The Desert Eagle Publishing series is mostly about modern vehicles. They are largely based on pictures taken during field training in the last years by Michael Mass, one of the publishers, who also happens to be the Latrun Armor Museum curator. The old Magach 3 and 6A pictures are the exceptions.