glcanon

Tanker Books/Novels

Maintaining the Israeli armour theme of the last two posts, I just finished this exceptional single volume on the Shot Kal upgrade: https://www.amazon.com/Centurion-Tanks-Shot-Alef-VOL-3/dp/098414370X/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8.

The title is now hard to find so I had to create a 'Want' at AbeBooks.com and wait for a copy to become available that way, which I immediately purchased.

The single review at Amazon.com is mine, with a direct link here if you'd like to see what I thought: https://www.amazon.com/Centurion-Tanks-Shot-Alef-VOL-3/dp/098414370X/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8#customerReviews.

Bottom line, try to get a copy if you're a fan of the Shot Kal (Alef) represented in Steel Beasts, my current tank du jour.

1 hour ago, Iarmor said:

There is a whole series of these books by Dr. Robert Manasherob of SabIngaMartin Publications:

http://www.sabingamartin.com/index.html

Two more about Centurions (earlier versions and later versions) and others about Merkavas, M48s, T-54/55/62s, etc. The books are meant for modellers but are also very interesting for armor enthusiastics.

Thanks @Iarmor. Have you come across the Desert Eagle publications on Israeli vehicles? If so, how do they compare to SabinaMartin for detail and quality?

Desert Eagle’s title on ‘Zelda M113 in IDF Service - Part 3 APC & TOGA’ is next on my list to buy with ‘Magach 3 - IDF Patton M48 - M48A3 in IDF Service Part 1‘ and ‘Magach 6A/B - IDF Patton M60A1 - M60A1 in IDF Service Part 3‘ potentially further down the track. I notice SabingaMartin also offers ‘Magach Tanks of the IDF, Volume 3, Magach 3 Tanks After the Six-Day War’ so, when it comes to Magach 3, I’d be keen to understand which is the better resource?

As you can probably tell, my interest in Israeli armour currently centres on the more modern vehicles of the Yom Kippur War, hence Shot Kal, Magach 3 / 6 and Zelda focus.

Sorry, I haven't read them so I can't compare. The sample pages of the Desert Eagle Magach 3 book look great and cover many subjects - the Six Day War (M48A2C), the Attritrition War in Sinai, the Yom Kippur War in Sinai and the crossing into Egypt, tanks with ERA, tanks at the junkyard before melting, interior (gunner and driver positions) pictures, etc. 

The Desert Eagle Publishing series is mostly about modern vehicles. They are largely based on pictures taken during field training in the last years by Michael Mass, one of the publishers, who also happens to be the Latrun Armor Museum curator. The old Magach 3 and 6A pictures are the exceptions.