Breach and Occupy (3.011)

Asid

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing this scenario a lot as I try to learn this game. It's a good size for me as a new player, not too much to deal with, but good variety. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for, so thanks! :)

If anyone can suggest other good scenarios for a new player I'd love to hear from you...

That one does sound intesresting, ta :)

Quick aside, what are the compatibility issues with scenarios designed for earlier versions? Do they generally work? Is there a cut off where older versions generally don't work with the 3.x releases? For example stuff made for 2.654 is ok, but earlier versions tend to be more problematic?

• Members

We go at great lengths to protect old scenarios. I'd say that in 95...99% they work out of the box. There are of course occasions where backwards compatibility cannot be maintained. The worst case still is that you're loading an unmodified Steel Beasts 1 scenario and that movement paths relying on the old "a water tile adjacent to a land tile can be safely waded through" rule are in that scenario. These paths require modifications.

Typically, if there is a new feature, the default settings when importing an older scenario are so that things will work as they used to. An example would be the "progress of day" thing where old scenarios had no time of day; with version 2.5 (IIRC) we introduced that the time of day (that is, the associated lighting) could change, so the solution was that old scenarios are assumed to have a starting time of 12:00 a.m. straight, and any scenario starting with this exact time will disable the progression of daytime/change of lighting. Start the scenario at 11:59 am. or 12:01 p.m. and it'll still start at noon, but WITH a change of lighting that may become noticeable after a few hours.

One more example: Scenarios made in version 2.6 with a specific sky texture that would put the sun in the East, South, or West will now ignore this reference to a static sky texture as the sun disc and the clouds are dynamically generated and moved. So there's a minor loss that is probably acceptable for the greater good of utilizing a more modern approach to sky rendering.

There are very exotic cases where scenarios made with a rare classroom version may only be converted with minor loss in functionality, or the not-quite-so-exotic-but-not-observed-in-the-wild case of a NEWER classroom version created scenario that you try to load in an older SB Pro PE version. But of course we cannot guarantee forward compatibility, and I don't think anyone expects that.