Question regarding TOW, Milan and other guided missiles

Daimaju

Greetings,

I wonder if the depiction of guided missiles in SB Pro is authentic and their capabilities are well presented.

Especially the guidance/steering.

Under what circumstances would the wire rip?

Would it rip from harsh maneuvering, steering?

Example

Also, let's say two targets are heading towards a TOW position and the TOW operator engages one of the targets, like in the video.

In case the target he is just engaging get's destroyed by another unit, would he just cut the wire or try to steer towards the next target?

I hope it is clear what I ask for, can not into English much! :clin:

Regards!

Tow type atgm are modelled qiete ok. If there are obstacles the line of sight they might cut the wire. If your tgt gets killed you switch to the next.

Under what circumstances that works. You have to try it out. Real life data on this is classified...sb data might differ ;-)

Thanks so far Grenny!

May I ask if you know for sure that one would witch to the next target?

It concurs with my opinion (and common sense, really), yet I need this confirmed from someone who knows for sure/used these systems/was trained on them.

I guess from your nick, you where a Panzergrenadier so came in contact with the Milan?

The operator would steer towards the 2nd target.

However it really depends on the range that the second target is from the decision is made, if the angle is to great it may cause issues, or, if its to close to the 1st target he may not be able to steer onto the second due to time or flight time.

Hope this helps:wink2:

From what I understand: the rocket motor in these missiles gives them a limited amount of energy the operator needs to conserve. For small corrections on one target, no problem (unless you clip the wire, like you mentioned ;)) For larger corrections (like when you're switching targets) though, the added distance of flight and air resistance of turning makes it fly much less efficiently. At the edge of your range, the missile may run out of airspeed before it gets there. Also, the whipping motion of big corrections might sever the control wire as well.

The above reasons is why TOW operators are told: keep your crosshairs on the target and DO NOT try and "fly" or "steer" the missile, I think. Also, to not drive a 50 000 dollar missile into the ground for no reason :P

Well the question was to engage the second or cut the wire.:cool3:

AFV's in formation and moving (requires steering) at engagement range

would be a small change of course, in close (1000m or less) may be a issue.

How ever at longer ranges engaging targets would be a small issue (they would appear to be very close though the sight) rather than flying the $$$ ATGM into the ground or cutting the wire.

I would engage the second, better to try than not.:bigsmile:

One can test this in the Sim if required.:luxhello:

Well the question was to engage the second or cut the wire.:cool3:

AFV's in formation and moving (requires steering) at engagement range

would be a small change of course, in close (1000m or less) may be a issue.

How ever at longer ranges engaging targets would be a small issue (they would appear to be very close though the sight) rather than flying the $$$ ATGM into the ground or cutting the wire.

I would engage the second, better to try than not.:bigsmile:

One can test this in the Sim if required.:luxhello:

All true Alfa :-D I'd try and hit the second target too, I was just thinking of reasons why it might not work :-P I was playing a scenario in the Brad the other day and hitting targets at the veeerrrryyyy edge of its range is often a pain. It just occurred to me to mention :-P

Also, at long range, an apparently small correction (to the shooter) can translate to a surprising amount of movement and G for the missile. Well within its design limits I would think, unless you're REALLY yanking at the sight.

On a side note, the "wire" is strong.On our range (1 of many) the TOW firing range is co-located so I have some first hand knowledge of said "wire".:wink2:

We when firing our guns would set fires, and then have to go put then out. We would need to walk in the range with TOW wires there, they are a PITA if you get caught up in them,one can't break them easy.:mad3:

I would think there would be a greater danger of the "wire" grounding out on water or grounded objects in real life. Say over power lines etc.

But I have only ever seen them in action over clear fields to date.:(

Yeah the wire is pretty tough. Especially after a "Million Dollar minute". My driver gunner and stinger dismount team never liked the part where we had to remove all the wires from the vehicle and clear our fighting position. Try and yank the wire from a sprocket or some object on top of the hull and you can get a nasty cut if you aren't wearing gloves.

• Members
Greetings,

I wonder if the depiction of guided missiles in SB Pro is authentic and their capabilities are well presented.

The PURPOSE of having these missiles in Steel Beasts is purely tactical/entertainment. Having missile sights allows the human player to select his target of priority without relying exclusively on the computer control logic algorithms.

They are NOT intended to do a proper simulation of the entire flight envelope of the missile, especially the limitations of its maneuverability. In real life guided missiles probably wobble more along their flight path and may also crash more often when the operator applies too much of a directional change. In real life the guidance controls are however usually built with so much mass and friction that you normally CAN'T apply so much force as would be necessary to make the wire snap due to sudden missile maneuver (maybe Arnold Schwarzenegger could, who knows). Maybe we should flatten the joystick response curve more.

The PURPOSE of having these missiles in Steel Beasts is purely tactical/entertainment. Having missile sights allows the human player to select his target of priority without relying exclusively on the computer control logic algorithms.

They are NOT intended to do a proper simulation of the entire flight envelope of the missile, especially the limitations of its maneuverability. In real life guided missiles probably wobble more along their flight path and may also crash more often when the operator applies too much of a directional change. In real life the guidance controls are however usually built with so much mass and friction that you normally CAN'T apply so much force as would be necessary to make the wire snap due to sudden missile maneuver (maybe Arnold Schwarzenegger could, who knows). Maybe we should flatten the joystick response curve more.

Ohhh, Flight Envelopes, that's a slippery slope there.

:)