Noob: Introduction and questions

fritzgryphon

• Members

No... but there IS a sensor telling the fire control computer whether the turret is facing forward or to the side, and another one delivering the own velocity (not in the Leopard 1, of course). So if you know your own velocity and whether you're shooting forward or sideways you can adjust the superelevation (Aufsatzkorrektur), and/or compensate for the lateral drift (Verschleppungskorrektur). That's why we have the Rücksteuerung in the Leopard 2. That's why dynamic lead MUST NOT be pressed if the target is stationary (unlike in the Leo 1 where the speed sensor isn't connected to the ballistic computer and therefore Rücksteuerung cannot be applied).

I hope fritzgryphon doesn't mind my intruding here, but I got a couple of quick questions. 1) How do I prevent choppers from doing suicidal runs, ala Arma? They seem to charge into enemy formations quite frequently 2) what is the best in-editor option(s) to make troops dismount APCs and helicopters within an effective engagement range?

@ Pulstar -

It's been a while since I played with choppers, but I think you can use some waypoints along with logic to make them behave like you want.

Use "Engage" tactics, which should make them cease their advance and engage enemy targets instead of running in guns blazing.

Then put their waypoints in a series, with commands to advance after a few moments if they are not under fire. That way they go to a waypoint, stop for a bit, and advance.

Also give them retreat routes to the previous way-point with a command to retreat back if they are under fire. If they're getting shot at, they'll turn around and fall back. Once they reach a waypoint and are not under fire, they'll go back on the offensive.

• Members

What would be needed is more autonomous behavior for the helicopters, but that would also mean less control over what they are doing (which is usually hated in training, which is the main purpose of SB Pro). So you probably need to script their behavior with shorter routes and more waypoints as decision points to break off an attack and/or fly to a different "firing position".

This is potentially a lot of work but right now there's no better option.

I think the 'scout' behavior causes a unit to retreat if it is attacked as well. This also needs multiple routes, as it will abandon it's current scout route once it retreats. You can also tell helis (not sure) and APCs to dismount troops if they take direct fire, though this might not be a good idea.

EDIT: If 'scout' is preceded by another waypoint, it will ping-pong between scouting, and retreating to it's previous waypoint.

-----

Another question; I understand the 3.019 is a limited beta version, and has long since stopped being offered.

But... for some multiplayer engagements, including the TGIF game, I am told it is the standard. Is there a way to get the beta license still? I have the .exe already.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ssnake.

One more question, about CV9035:

1. When I select and fire ABM in PENE mode, I find the gun will fire until there are 22 rounds remaining, then not respond to further trigger pulls. I thought this was related to 'end of belt stop', but that command doesn't affect it.

If I switch to BURST, WIDE or DEEP the gun will fire normally until all rounds gone. Only PENE seems to stop at 22.

• Members

Yes, and you're correct about the reason (end of belt signal). It works in one mode, but not the other.

I'm nor sure if the EOB override hotkey is to be used here, or if you need to let go of the control handle once (press "p", or (maybe?) also middle mouse button) before resuming fire.

Oh, as usual a quick consultation of the SB Wiki revealed the reason. ;)

Also, note that the behavior of the Dutch and the Danish CV90/35s are different in the EOB handling.