General Dynamics UK Wins Scout SV Deal From Britain

Crusty

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

7.6 million EUR per vehicle doesn't sound as if there's someone pinching every penny. With previously awarded preparation costs it seems closer to 8.5M EUR, actually. For comparison, a Leopard 2A5 goes for 10 (...and a 2A4 in the mid 1980s was 5 millsion Deutschmarks, about 2.5M EUR...).

The UK army is cutting it's personal to 82,000 by 2018, smallest force since waterloo. That should free up some money to equip the few soldiers they have with top notch gear.

Sadly, the money saved is unlikely to be spent on new kit for our soldiers, but

will probably be taken out of the defense budget and spent on other things.

7.6 million EUR per vehicle doesn't sound as if there's someone pinching every penny. With previously awarded preparation costs it seems closer to 8.5M EUR, actually. For comparison, a Leopard 2A5 goes for 10 (...and a 2A4 in the mid 1980s was 5 millsion Deutschmarks, about 2.5M EUR...).

If your figures are right - and I'm sure they are - as well as letting our defence industry epertise slip away, our Ministry of Defence now seems to be overpaying for 'off the shelf ' stuff made outside the UK. Chinooks, anyone?

but there where also mentioned a "troop" version that allowed for 4 men squad. so I guess UK is going more like AU and having a mix of pure recce vehicle with vehicles with dismounts who can recce dismounted or something?

Anyway, I guess the recce dudes are happy as kids on new years eve anyway to get anything new and cool.

• Members
In the current version of SB. Does anyone know which ASCOD variant is closest to what the British army will be getting?

They are both relatively far from it, I suppose, although I speculate that the Pizarro with its reactive armor is probably a wee bit closer (note that the Ulan's engine has a few more horsepowers, that may be something that the FRES might use as well). Both have a 30mm gun where the FRES-SV will have the 40mm CTA gun. In terms of armament the CV90/40 or the CV90/35 are much be closer to the FRES. I also suspect that it will feature a battlefield management system with electronic map, and suitable sensors for some JFST capability, maybe also a detached sensor suite like what the Fennek has. Then again, in the worst British traditions, it may be fitted for, but not with all this. :c:

If we want to remain a facts-based simulation: Unlikely.

If you want some speculative fantasy: Define "soon".

Not sure what you are saying here. Is there not an updated version (compared to what we have in SB) of the Warrior already in service with the UK Army? If not, then I have been fed some seriously duff gen by those claiming expertise in this field.

Soon is indefinable. I may be going shopping soon. Definitely this afternoon, whatever. I'm told that two galaxies in far distant nebula are going to collide soon. Within a few billion years probably.

Not sure what you are saying here. Is there not an updated version (compared to what we have in SB) of the Warrior already in service with the UK Army? If not, then I have been fed some seriously duff gen by those claiming expertise in this field.

Soon is indefinable. I may be going shopping soon. Definitely this afternoon, whatever. I'm told that two galaxies in far distant nebula are going to collide soon. Within a few billion years probably.

Or it could mean that they have no information on it so would have to guess, taking it away from a fact based game. I had to read it twice!!

If any one was wondering what is going to happen to CVRT here's your answer, at least for some of them as I think we have more than 123, not sure when it will happen,

and if we're be left in the same situation as with our aircraft carriers, IE we give these to Latvia before we get SV Scout to replace them.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20140904/DEFREG01/309040030/With-Scout-SV-Deal-Done-UK-Sell-Surplus-CVR-T-s-Latvia

Speaking at the summit, Fallon said the deal is just "one way we are supporting our Baltic NATO allies. As a leading member of NATO, the UK is keen to restate publicly our support for the collective security of its members and enable our partners to contribute to international peacekeeping and security operations.”

Who was it who first said (adopts Bronx accent), 'Woids is wind'?