Operation Flashpoint 2

daskal

The gameplay looks a lot more promising than Armed Assault, which in my mind failed pretty dismally compared to the original OpFlash (except obviously in the graphics department).

Has anyone here played the wargames mod of OpFlash? http://ofpc.de/wargames/wglhelp/index.php?page=Home

I know they're not doing any further development work on it, but my god its a well rounded mod. Looks pretty much the same, but plays so differently!

• 1 month later...
The gameplay looks a lot more promising than Armed Assault, which in my mind failed pretty dismally compared to the original OpFlash (except obviously in the graphics department).

I don't agree. I tried Arma Sept '06 and was dissappointed because the performance issues really irritated me - so I went back to OFP. However, I returned to it later after 1.08 was released and I had better hardware, and it is a different experience, once you get it working well.

The thing is, when it is all running smoothly, and you have applied config tweaks to cool off the AI's over-efficient marksmanship, you really do notice the similarity to OFP's gameplay - it is virtually identical. I really enjoy it now. I'd suggest if it had frustrated you, just give it a bit more time.

The biggest single improvement is the variation all over the island - if you take a vehicle and drive around, the urban and rural areas have distinct character. I think where BIS really shot themselves in the foot was the relatively weak campaign, which was a huge contrast to the superb Cold War Crisis of the original. It's hugely important for immersing the player in the environment, and introducing the gameplay challenges in a methodical and careful manner. A common complaint for people new to the OFP gameplay style in Arma was a lack of direction and focus in the early campaign missions - nobody quite realises you can do what the hell you like in these games (more or less) as long as you meet the trigger requirements, which in the early stages are usually 'move to a, b, c'. The missions are actually rather good, but they fail in the objective of introducing the player to the world.

James

I don't agree. I tried Arma Sept '06 and was dissappointed because the performance issues really irritated me - so I went back to OFP. However, I returned to it later after 1.08 was released and I had better hardware, and it is a different experience, once you get it working well.

The thing is, when it is all running smoothly, and you have applied config tweaks to cool off the AI's over-efficient marksmanship, you really do notice the similarity to OFP's gameplay - it is virtually identical. I really enjoy it now. I'd suggest if it had frustrated you, just give it a bit more time.

The biggest single improvement is the variation all over the island - if you take a vehicle and drive around, the urban and rural areas have distinct character. I think where BIS really shot themselves in the foot was the relatively weak campaign, which was a huge contrast to the superb Cold War Crisis of the original. It's hugely important for immersing the player in the environment, and introducing the gameplay challenges in a methodical and careful manner. A common complaint for people new to the OFP gameplay style in Arma was a lack of direction and focus in the early campaign missions - nobody quite realises you can do what the hell you like in these games (more or less) as long as you meet the trigger requirements, which in the early stages are usually 'move to a, b, c'. The missions are actually rather good, but they fail in the objective of introducing the player to the world.

James

a video from Arma2 vehicles :

http://www.nofrag.com/2008/aou/28/29399/

OFP2 seems really beautiful but i'm not sure gameplay will follow.

Notice the M1A2TUSK in the vid. Fire control system still seems crappy though.

FCS?!? Theirs no FCS in ARMA...LOL if anythhing it's more like Busted GAS...

Just listen to the Demostrator, He didn't even know what exactly to call the view...

Smartly he agreed on "Crosshair"....LOL very "Authentic."

That must be why he seem'd to perfer the 3rd person view.

However I'd still take any/all of their Red Heavys in SB anyday.

Come on Esim show em how it's done.

Edited by Boof
none