TC/Gunner comms

Tjay

Over here we use the word "ralliement" (rallying) to clarify things.

Tireur ralliement le char. (Gunner rallying tank.)

Tireur ralliement PCO. (Gunner rallying central point of observation.)

etc.

Depending on the urgency of the situation, the TC can just describe the target. Whatever the situation, the loss of control by the gunner usually tells him what's going on.

On the Leclerc, the gunner sight has the indication "PC" when the commander is taking over.

Many thanks for the replies. 'Designate' seems to be the quickest and simplest option, so I will try and get DoW to adopt that as SOP.

Another question. When multi-crewing (just TC and gunner) in SB, the gunner AND the TC may both be scanning with their own sights. Any advice on how best to drive manually in this situation other than the TC popping in and out of external view and making the necessary corrections?

Well it depends on the kind of vehicle you're in.

With Leopard 2A5 and later models, you can set your commander sight to the 12 or 6 o'clock of the chassis.

With other tanks, like the M1A2 SEP, I havn't found the same functionnality. So depending of the situation, I just come back to a wide magnification and scan the direction where we're going. If the episcopes are well setup, I peek at one of those.

Thanks DL. I'll certainly give your suggestions a go.

It seems that with SEP the way to reproduce the Leo functionality is to select Autoscan for the CITV and then set the scan limits to, say 20 deg either side of dead ahead.

As far as I can remember, the autoscan feature doesn't allow the same thing as the 12/6 o'clock feature on the Leo.

The left and right limits are defined compared to the chassis for sure.

But on the move, the pilot can turn while the CITV remains stabilized to the same direction no matter what were the limits of the autoscan.

Many thanks for the replies. 'Designate' seems to be the quickest and simplest option, so I will try and get DoW to adopt that as SOP.

Not saying they are the only solution, but I've put a bunch of BG ANZAC SOPs on the Grogheads forum site that might help.

They are in this thread:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=10673.msg287882#new (page 52)

Also put copies of the User Guides there - Javelin at least requires a re-write.