Multiplayer Every Saturday

Asid

Multiplayer every Saturday

7aeed2e6-469b-4ead-b41b-9eb4aedd1c9e_zps78ab8c8f.png

This is different from our normal DOW sessions. The intention is to allow players from all over a better chance of meeting up at a realistic time. we will have a trial run this Saturday 27/09/14 (see the local time link below) and post any findings shortly after.

If You do not have the beta 64 release then do not despair.

Event Name: T.A.N.K.S. (Thats Another Night killing Stuff)

Day: Every Saturday

Start Time: 19:00 GMT

Your Local Time: http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20140927T20&p0=136&msg=T.A.N.K.S.+%28Steel+Beasts%29&csz=1

Duration: 2 Hours approx

Version: 3.011/3.019

Teamspeak IP: 216.22.24.158 , Port 9987

Room: Dogs of War

Note:

• If you need help with port forwarding etc then arrive 1 hour early.

• Make sure you have a good mic/headset to allow clear communication.

• Read our "Code of Conduct". On our TS page.

• Make sure you have completed at least 1 full Tutorial in SB (M1A2/Leo2A5)

ALL WELCOME

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wish I could have made the last ones, but work and life interfered. I am not going to be able to do LNOTs due to work, but I look forward to the TANKS games since I cannot do LNOTs. IMHO people will decide which one they would like to do, not due to one or the other, but the type of game play, availability, and other factors, other than that there is LNOTs and TANKS on the same day. Pick which ever is right for you, and enjoy it, and I would also hope that a large event like LNOTs would not be impacted by another smaller event taking place.

Wish I could have made the last ones, but work and life interfered.

Hi Cougar

You were missed last Saturday. Hopefully you will be able to join this Saturdays mission 04/10/14 19:00 GMT.

Note: The mission was run using V3.011 as one person did not have the V3.019

All Wecome

Here is a taster of the first T.A.N.K.S. mission:

Here are some pics from the first T.A.N.K.S. event from 27/09/14.

Event run every Saturday 19:00 GMT (see my sig)

Great turnout. The mission was a success.

Brief

Brief_zpsa2a5ceda.jpg

Map

Map_zps24697003.jpg

T.A.N.K.S. 1 Al turo Taken map

SS_03_44_19_zpsf3aee1dd.jpg

Objective Al Turo Taken

SS_21_34_43_zps64632a14.jpg

Final Town taken map

SS_03_43_47_zps9d82e854.jpg

Final Town taken

SS_03_14_46_zps6ec71d22.jpg

I would also hope that a large event like LNOTs would not be impacted by another smaller event taking place.

That's my fear though.

Even "large" events like LNoT or Rolling Thunder have maybe only 30 people attending.

Given the almost overlapping timing for LNoT Mission 1 and DOW, perhaps the DOW could man a Platoon or more within the LNoT structure, retaining your preferred manning of Crew Commander and Gunner, while others stick to the one person per platoon or one person per vehicle type manning.

Just a thought to keep the relatively small MP community concentrated rather than fracturing it across multiple, concurrent, activities.

I'm also uncertain if UO will be running their Saturday night event as well, that "night" generating further dispersion.

Guess we'll find out in a bit over a week. :)

That's my fear though.

Even "large" events like LNoT or Rolling Thunder have maybe only 30 people attending.

Given the almost overlapping timing for LNoT Mission 1 and DOW, perhaps the DOW could man a Platoon or more within the LNoT structure, retaining your preferred manning of Crew Commander and Gunner, while others stick to the one person per platoon or one person per vehicle type manning.

Just a thought to keep the relatively small MP community concentrated rather than fracturing it across multiple, concurrent, activities.

+1

I believe LNoT is "a la carte," meaning you can attend as many or as few of the three missions as you desire.

I'm also uncertain if UO will be running their Saturday night event as well, that "night" generating further dispersion.

Nope. I, too, believe that we should strive to support each other rather than balkanize the already small online community. These kinds of mega-events are infrequent enough that they don't seriously impinge on any VU's business-as-usual. So, UO will not run its regular mission. I'll be putting up a post to direct our guys to the LNoT event.

I agree 100% with Cougar. I really don't see that DoW's regular, informal, non-structured Saturday night T.A.N.K.S session is going to pull anyone who wants to participate in LNoT away from that event. Those interested in the one won't be interested in the other - and vice versa. Cancelling T.A.N.K.S would simply mean that those not able or willing to attend LNoT would be denied an alternative that evening.

I agree 100% with Cougar. I really don't see that DoW's regular, informal, non-structured Saturday night T.A.N.K.S session is going to pull anyone who wants to participate in LNoT away from that event. Those interested in the one won't be interested in the other - and vice versa. Cancelling T.A.N.K.S would simply mean that those not able or willing to attend LNoT would be denied an alternative that evening.

+1

Most people will have already decided which meeting they will attend.

Well, it is a free market.

Everybody should check whats on the table and do as he likes. Its a hobby after all.

One should not try to handle that by reducing /enforcing supply.

I can only recomend to anyone who wants to play SB in a sensable tactical setting to attend LNoT :-)

Dear community

I would like to say a few words on the points raised above. If i may?

Firstly the T.A.N.K.S. event, though created by the D.O.W., is completely separate from the Sunday D.O.W. meeting. It was created to facilitate a common desire. That is to enable different time zones to meet at a mutually acceptable time.

Secondly the question of community has been raised and the apparent negative affect that clashing timetables will have on it? The D.O.W. are community centric. In fact community is deeply ingrained in our ethos as is mutual respect. Should you not give the community a choice instead of limiting it? What about the people like myself who cannot or do not wish to attend a certain event? Should you not respect an individual's choice or their right/desire to make one?

Should one event be given priority over another just because of who hosts it or the content/complexity of the mission?

Do people not have the right to make their own choice? This is ultimately about having a good time. Do what makes YOU happy. You do not give the people enough credit. They know what they want and THEY will make their own choice.

This is a forum where one should be allowed the freedom of expression. However with respect to the continued "discussion" concerning apparent clashing timetables. I would respectfully request that you move your "discussion" to a new thread as it is derailing this one. Thank you

Regards

Should one event be given priority over another just because of who hosts it or the content/complexity of the mission?

I do not intend to counter your wishes and turn this thread into something OT, but Sid you are relatively new, and I chalk up this view to that. LNOT is a community event that has been going on since Pro PE was released. At this point it makes it such that it is going on for nearly a decade. The creation and hosting of the missions associated with the event could be considered to be a gratuity/gift to the greater community by the German community by some. Some may consider running an organized event or group in its time slot (thus competing for players with it) to be bad form.

Back to your scheduled programing :)

• Moderators

Well, I am all for having more abundant and different events for the community, but the problem happens when two events are hosted at the same time, then you start getting "tests of loyalty". For example, say you have LnoTs and the TANKS thing at the same time, well, even though some may say otherwise, there is always unsaid pressure to attend one or the other. If someone from DoW attends LnoT, then they might look at them as "selling out" and vice versa. It can create an unhealthy atmosphere, I have seen it.

The other problem happens when people start to lure away users to an event that is happening at the same time, either directly (by telling people to "play here" or "there" instead) or indirectly (through peer pressure). I have seen this happen before as well.

That said, the only thing that is not tolerated on the SB.com TS server is people hanging around and actively pulling people away from TGIF, and official SB.com event (and any other official SB.com events) -- this is viewed as mutiny and those that do this will be given the permanent boot. Beyond that, you may do what you like but be sure to keep the overall health of the community in mind.

• Members

It would be less of an issue if the active multiplayer community was larger. On the other hand, it's been growing lately, not the least thanks to Asid's efforts, and in the end it's a free world anyway. Still, I think that while the number of regular participants in simultaneous events is less than 30 in total the overall net benefit of coordinated timetables probably exceeds that of no coordination.

At first sight the question of preferred play style seems to indicate no big problem: If one group likes short, intense, small scale scenarios like a fully manned platoon or two rather than large battles where each player has to control one or even several maneuver elements simultaneously, the overlap is minimal. But "preference" doesn't mean "exclusive interest". After all, both game session types offer a unique experience, and even though I might prefer vanilla ice over chocolate it doesn't mean that I wouldn't enjoy both if I could have both.

Well, how would you feel if you had spent months building a series of linked missions, organizing the participants, coordinating timings, designing skin packs and making videos advertising the event only to have another group schedule an informal event at the same time?

But T.A.N.K.S is NOT an event. Gibson himself has called it something like 'a 24/7 drop-in meeting for those that can attend'. I can assure all concerned with LNoT that absolutely NO pressure is exerted on anyone in DOW or TANKS to attend this Saturday's meeting rather than LNoT. Nil. Zilch. Some members of DoW will be attending LNoT and no one will suggest for one minute that they are being disloyal.

To suggest that TANKS poses any threat whatsoever to LNoT is IMHO ridiculous, and means that the writer has failed to read or understand what TANKS is about - despite Asid having spelled it out at the head of this thread.

Don't think we need to argue about that one.

All 911 can do is to invite everone to the party. There should be no claim to "exclusive saturday night rights".

If someone wants to go to or host a different party...thats completely legit. and I don't think we should not discuss that here in this way!

I just want to point out that over at 911s place there will be 3 finely crafted missions on exellent maps. :-)

But T.A.N.K.S is NOT an event. Gibson himself has called it something like 'a 24/7 drop-in meeting for those that can attend'. I can assure all concerned with LNoT that absolutely NO pressure is exerted on anyone in DOW or TANKS to attend this Saturday's meeting rather than LNoT. Nil. Zilch. Some members of DoW will be attending LNoT and no one will suggest for one minute that they are being disloyal.

To suggest that TANKS poses any threat whatsoever to LNoT is IMHO ridiculous, and means that the writer has failed to read or understand what TANKS is about - despite Asid having spelled it out at the head of this thread.

Respectfully, Tjay, I think you're splitting hairs here. Here is what Asid spelled out in his original post (emphasis mine):

Event Name: T.A.N.K.S. (Thats Another Night killing Stuff)

Day: Every Saturday

Start Time: 19:00 GMT

. . .

Duration: 2 Hours approx

So, it is a something that recurs on a specified day and at a specified time, with an estimated duration, and is described by its organizer as an "Event." :)

Suppose someone were to announce that they are running an open "structured" or "realism-oriented" mission every Friday at 10PM US Eastern Time, which is when TGIF occurs. Wouldn't you agree that this would tend to undermine TGIF, even without overtly pressuring people to skip TGIF? It would put at least one regular TGIF attendee -- me -- in a quandary. Even though I prefer the structured approach, I attend TGIF because it's still enjoyable (despite its occasional frustrations), but also to support the TGIF organizers.

No one is suggesting that TANKS cease; only that it defer a few times a year to the "mega" events. I think we can all agree that, when it comes to mission attendance, more is better. When someone makes a special effort to produce a unique event, I think it's incumbent on the community to support it with our presence, even if the particular event does not comport fully with one's individual preferences. I've no doubt that other VUs would extend the same consideration were DoW or TANKS to organize a special event.

And, given that at least some regular DoW/TANKS attendees participated in Rolling Thunder -- presumably of their own volition -- it's hardly credible to claim that they would be oppressed if the similar LNoT event were the only SB action available for a few hours on October 11.

The word 'event' to describe T.A.N.K.S meeting was unfortunate. Do we call regular V.U meetings events? I think not.

But we will hold a poll on Saturday night, asking if anyone attending TANKS would be attending LNoT if TANKS were not 'open'. I undertake to report honestly on the result.

I would also like to say that Asid has encouraged DoW members (TANKS doesn't have a membership) to participate in LNoT if they are able. Last night there was a discussion among those present about whether they would be attending LNoT or not. Some said yes; some said no. Some of those saying no volunteered their reasons; others did not. My purely personal reason for not attending is that imy previous experiences of events in which a certain person had a leading role were not happy. I was not alone in this.

I'm afraid I can't agree with your statement ' When someone makes a special effort to produce a unique event, I think it's incumbent on the community to support it with our presence, even if the particular event does not comport fully with one's individual preferences'. But I trust we can agree to disagree on that.

If TANKS were cancelled this Saturday, I would simply go and read a book or watch a movie.

I am quite sure EVERYONE in the SB community is grateful to the likes of Tacbat, Falli, etc for creating these major Events. I do not know of anyone who would wish LNoT or any other formal Event anything other than success. But equally, I do not feel that anyone should feel obligated to attend them if they don't want to.