Multiplayer Every Saturday

Asid

First of all, I accept all other choices.

But this is a Tank SIMULATION, so we simulate Tank Battles.

So it´s not easy to understand to violate this simulation and use this as an excuse and argument for having your own Time on the Server for this.

I just miss the answer to my Question.

My 2 Cent

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all, I accept all other choices.

But this is a Tank SIMULATION, so we simulate Tank Battles.

So it´s not easy to understand to violate this simulation and use this as an excuse and argument for having your own Time on the Server for this.

I just miss the answer to my Question.

My 2 Cent

Oh, I see. You wish to know why some people do not share your personal preference in the way they play SB. You obviously have difficulty in accepting that this might be the case. Well, I can't remember every single reason, but here are some that I can: 'I am simply not into large multiplayer events. I prefer more modest missions with a small number of players.' 'I have attended previous LNoTs and found them to be very slow to start and involve a lot of sitting around. Not my thing'. 'I do not wish to play with one or more of the people who will be playing that night'. 'The whole thing goes on too long for me and I don't wish to play just one or two phases'.

Now, I'm sure you consider all of the above to be non valid because they differ from your personal views. In fact you consider such a thing to be a VIOLATION of what SB is about. Well, I can't help you with that other than to refer you to your own signature block.

This act of conciliation by the TANKS community is despite the fact that a poll conducted last Saturday of 16 members who were not planning to attend LNoT showed that they would NOT, even if the TANKS meeting was cancelled, attend LNoT anyway because they simply did not fancy this event for one reason or another. So the pressure from LNoT players has resulted simply in TANKS players not being able to meet that night, despite the fact that it would NOT have affected LNoT in any way.

Well done. :icon_frown:

Another spot-on assessment, Tjay.

Perhaps we are allowed to meet to play another game? Or are we banned from meeting at all?

This kind of mentality destroys gaming communities.

Perhaps we are allowed to meet to play another game? Or are we banned from meeting at all?

All i can say is that if anyone turns up, their bottom will be smacked and they will be sent to bed without any supper.

:navy:

:smilelove-1:

• Moderators
Another spot-on assessment, Tjay.

This kind of mentality destroys gaming communities.

Well, you guys don't need to cancel your game, but if you decide to do that then OK, that is your choice.

The comment about destroying gaming communities goes both ways though. Failure to compromise and work with others in the community when coordinating events, as well as deciding to cancel your own event and then lashing out at the community about your own decision doesn't help either. Either cancel the event go forward, or continue with the TANKS event and ignore the outlying/extreme responses.

Personally I already suggested that you guys should go ahead and do it (and I still think that way), and a few guys that run LNoT have also said the same in previous posts. Tjay does explain that there is no intent on conflicting with LNoT, and he is 100% correct that LNoT is not everyone's cup o' tea.

That said, I think the issue is being over dramatized by all sides, as usual, which is typical for a small community. So everyone take a step back, take a breath, TANKS and LNoT can co-exist just fine. ;)

Gentlemen, what I like about this community, was that in many cases critique in a cause of action was taken as just that. We should not keep it that way, and handle such conflicts in a manly way. We don't need to be best buddies...but we shouldn't act liked we being insulted by someone not wanting to join our own events nor someone pointing out that he is a bit disapointed when the invitation is declined. (thats f***ing normal!!)

I witnessed a tendency to take such thing personally lately. :-(

I my p.o.v. the point raised about hosting to "events" at the same time was valid and understandable. As is the desire to host an own play of different style=>freedom a choice gents!!!

Now between the lines there may be personal issues between certain members that I don't know of. And I don't want to know of.

I can just call on them to sort them out in direct contact and not over arguing about events here.

Step back, deescalete ...be civil!

Otherwise that paddling stuff might be an option :-D

Well of course now that someone has brought up spanking/paddling (by a female in a position of authority no less), this risks running on until way after the actual event in question.

However thanks to Grenny for him raising the prospect of him doing the said paddling which I presume has reduced the enthusiasm for that option, at least in most quarters. :)

Well, you guys don't need to cancel your game, but if you decide to do that then OK, that is your choice.

The comment about destroying gaming communities goes both ways though. Failure to compromise and work with others in the community when coordinating events, as well as deciding to cancel your own event and then lashing out at the community about your own decision doesn't help either. Either cancel the event go forward, or continue with the TANKS event and ignore the outlying/extreme responses.

Personally I already suggested that you guys should go ahead and do it (and I still think that way), and a few guys that run LNoT have also said the same in previous posts. Tjay does explain that there is no intent on conflicting with LNoT, and he is 100% correct that LNoT is not everyone's cup o' tea.

That said, I think the issue is being over dramatized by all sides, as usual, which is typical for a small community. So everyone take a step back, take a breath, TANKS and LNoT can co-exist just fine. ;)

+1.

Those new to this sort of event may find the lyrics to 'Going to the freakers ball' by Dr Hook helpful.

"Freaker's Ball"

Well there's gonna be a freakers ball

Tonight at the freakers hall

And you know, you're invited one and all

Come on babies grease your lips

Grab your hats and swing your hips

Don't forget to bring your whips

We're going to the freakers ball

Blow your whistle and bang your gong

Roll up something to take along

It feels so good it must be wrong

We're freakin at the freakers ball

Where all the fags and the dykes they're boogyin' together

The leather freaks are dressed in all kinds of leather

The greatest of the sadists and the masochists too

Screaming "Please hit me, and I'll hit you"

The FBI are dancing with the junkies

All the straights, are swinging with the funkies

Across the floor and up the wall

Yall, we're freakin at the freakers ball

Everybody's kissing each other

Brother with sister, son with mother

Smear my body up with butter

Take me to the freakers ball

Pass that roach please and pour the wine

I'll kiss yours if you'll kiss mine

I'm gonna boogie till i go blind

White ones, black ones, yellow ones, red ones

Necrophiliacs looking for dead ones

The greatest of the sadist and the masochists too

Screaming "Please hit me, and I'll hit you"

Everybody's fallin' in batches

Pyromaniacs striking matches

I'm gonna itch me where it scratches

Freaking at the freakers ball

Even better, download the full track from ITunes or whatever and have it playing in the background that evening. :clin:

This has surely been a "tempest in a teapot" case. The DOW Saturday Event is not really an "Event" like LNOT or Rolling Thunder but just a scheduled time for players to meet on the sandlot and play a "pick-up" game. There is no pressure to attend the "event" and everyone is free to play LNOT if they so desire. No mutiny intended. The 19:00 GMT was selected because it was not too early for North Americans and not too late for Europeans. Due to time zones, it is not agreeable for everyone (apologies to our friends Down Under). Perhaps the Title should have had an uncapitalized "e" to underscore the true status of the notice. Asid should be commended for promoting the DOW as it has brought in many new players and the DOW "pick-up" games have often had 10+ players, even on week-nights. We had been meeting in the US Armor channel but the DOW was created so that it would not seem US-centric and would appeal to everyone, and what a name - DOGS OF WAR, how Shakespearean! The DOW often plays with crewed vehicles and that has added an element to the game that I had not seen. Most of our games involve managing multiple vehicles but occupying just one position in a tank makes for a unique experience, actually, more in line with the whole point of SB being a simulation. There were some remarks that the DOW could be a platoon in the LNOT with fully crewed vehicles but I would like to point out that the DOW is not a VU, there is no membership or plans to fight other VU's. It is just a group of people who meet at a designated time to play. There were some remarks about the DOW not wanting to be in LNOT but that is not the case. Not everyone has 8-10 hours to spend sitting at the computer. Real Life intrudes on our hobbies. And not all SB players want to play a LNOT style mission(s). My kids are grown and my wife is supportive of my hobby so I can be involved in the multi-mission games of LNOT, Rolling Thunder, OIF, and so on. The scheduling of DOW has made it easier to play SB. I used to go online looking for a game and would either be too late or no one would be on TS. Now, I know when to show up and there will be a group ready to start a game. We play for hours and my yard at home is starting to look like "Birnam Wood moving on Dunsinane". I do not do yard work anymore as I play SB too much. I also look forward to the TGIF's and have missed very few since I started playing. The computer opponent in most computer games is severely lacking in skill but playing online with human players is thrilling. I enjoy the co-op missions as well, especially the coordinated events like LNOT where you are in your own platoon channel and cannot hear all of the chatter that you hear in a TGIF. Being compartmentalized like that adds another dimension to playing SB. Now, back to SB and "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war" in the upcoming TGIF and LNOT!

Connaugh

Hi Connaugh

Your post makes a very good summary of the debate, and the points you have made now seem to have been accepted by the vast majority, but most importantly by the SB establishment. So, as you say, let's get back to SB and put this misunderstanding - because it was surely no more than that - behind us. :)

Edited by Tjay

As a relatively new player to SB I can say this puts me off. To say I have only one choice where to play on a certain night and that 1 event downs the rest is something I will just move on and find something else to play.

DOW is not interested to my knowledge in detracting from any other event, nor is there ill will to sabotage someone else's events, regardless of how long it has been run. If it is the direction of the community to close itself off and siphon the growth of other events to try and pull people into the already small community, then it is doomed to stay as such.

Sorry, I do not see the logic in the arguments that more than one event can take place at a time.

Edited by PanzersEast

• Administrators

I'm late to the discussion, but since it is going to keep rolling, here is my two cents worth.

This community is a small one. I think that posting simultaneous events at the same time is probably counter productive. One can SAY there is no crossover but I'm willing to bet that is not actually the case. If we had thousands of players around and hundreds of games going on at once, it wouldn't be an issue. A little compromise goes a long way! Either way, its not the end of the world and not worth getting too worked up over.