Video Thread

DemolitionMan

Crikey that's a blast from the past. :)

I wonder how long it took from lets make a Tank sim to when Esim

Released the first version Of SB.

I remember the first time I saw SB in was in a flight sim magazine of all things it came with A Free Demo. did not think much of the graphics at the time but I could tell I was going to Be A excellent Tank sim

I wonder how long it took from lets make a Tank sim to when Esim

Released the first version Of SB.

I remember the first time I saw SB in was in a flight sim magazine of all things it came with A Free Demo. did not think much of the graphics at the time but I could tell I was going to Be A excellent Tank sim

Why don't you ask Ssnake?

He was there after all. :)

Think from the initial contact with Al to release was ~2 years i think

F3DinAZZy-I

A little pre-TGIF mission played with the awesome peeps over at 3rd Armor. Thanks for grabbing me in TS to play with you all.

I am still rendering the TGIF session (got about an hour and a half left to go) and I will post it as well when it is uploaded.

Enjoy the 1080p goodness.

FLEX Out

F3DinAZZy-I

A little pre-TGIF mission played with the awesome peeps over at 3rd Armor. Thanks for grabbing me in TS to play with you all.

I am still rendering the TGIF session (got about an hour and a half left to go) and I will post it as well when it is uploaded.

Enjoy the 1080p goodness.

FLEX Out

NP friend, I am sure we will have many more exciting missions coming up. I have started building more missions lately and so have some of the other guys. Assassin7

• Members
Seems like a awful long time, but then again it was a big task.

Out of interest, Who was your target customer starting out.

The Gamer or the military or both from the get go.

Junior NCOs and officers with a penchant for computer games. IOW, people like myself. ;)

Steel Beasts was supposed to become the kind of cheap and simple tool that I always wanted to have as a tank platoon leader, addressing the biggest weakness of the (physical) sand table, that time/space constraints cannot be adequately considered in a sand table. You just posit that you arrive in time in a given position, and nobody can prove you wrong unless it's wildly unrealistic.

The original idea that Al had as a shareware-distributed tank platoon game. I convinced him that in order to have meaningful combined arms tactics and some variety in every scenario, we had to boost it to company level and beyond. Of course, this change in scope sent us back to the design phase (end of '97), so you could argue that even though the engine was largely done by then, creating the mission editor, the map editor, and finally some content for the original release (plus artwork creation and integration) took "only" 2.5 years, of which about half a year delay was to be attributed to the demo version and the required tech support for it.

Also, during that time Al was the only guy working full-time on the whole thing. Me, and the others who joined later, worked only part time on Steel Beasts.

Thanks for the back story. It must be nice to know that thousands of people - both military and civilian - are extremely appreciative of your work.

+1

As I always suspected it was a labour of love for those involved.

A six months delay because of the Demo. umm, I think its was worth it for me anyway

It got me to put away my copy of tank platoon. there was a delay from the demo.

To SB reaching my local game store I had it on order for months.

Edited by Marko

OS8ElDbXxvU

Here is my TGIF vid. Took me FOREVER to render and upload it to YouTube. The first time I tried I had a really awesome description with links to the forums and esims but my computer crashed right before it finished uploading. took 224 minutes to upload...lol

Hope you all enjoy.

And I am slowly converting more to the game. I guy I work with on the PD is in the TN National Guard with me as an Armor Officer assigned to the 278th ACR. I showed him the game and he about had a heart attack. He is trying to get his CO on board with using it for training in the unit. He just purchased the game and is awaiting my help to get it up and running for him.

I was playing around with the DCS 1.2.8 beta:

And here's the AI in SB dealing with a similar situation:

I think the AI needs to practice a lot more in SB. :D

Unfortunately what DCS does well is not so well done by esim

But is getting better with each Update, Attack helicopters are a lot better in SB then the Flying targets they originally were.

And what esim do well is very poor in DCS i.e. Combined Arms but again lots of hints and Rumours its getting a major overhaul (and it Needs it.) would could have been if the two had joined forces.

I think the AI needs to practice a lot more in SB. :D

And not just their Tanguska marksmanship. It would be nice (!) if vehicle and infantry units in MP would follow routes as instructed and not keep stopping every 50m and refusing to move again unless the player 'babysits' them in first person or F8 view. IMHO fixing this should be eSim's absolute No 1 priority, as it makes coordinated movement of mulitple units by a single player virtually impossible and (again IMHO) almost negates all the other benefits that have come with V3.xxx.

UKA encounters this problem in virtually every MP session it runs. Is there anything we can do to provide additional feed back to help eSim slay this bug for once and for all?

And not just their Tanguska marksmanship. It would be nice (!) if vehicle and infantry units in MP would follow routes as instructed and not keep stopping every 50m and refusing to move again unless the player 'babysits' them in first person or F8 view. IMHO fixing this should be eSim's absolute No 1 priority, as it makes coordinated movement of mulitple units by a single player virtually impossible and (again IMHO) almost negates all the other benefits that have come with V3.xxx.

UKA encounters this problem in virtually every MP session it runs. Is there anything we can do to provide additional feed back to help eSim slay this bug for once and for all?

Perhaps "they" would notice more if rather than post about it down here, maybe add a comment to this:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=19746

Or "bump" your own thread in the support forum (I think you wrote one?).

I guess this does have the advantage that passing traffic might read it and it could prompt them to submit their own posts in the support forum and so gain wider traction (pardon the quasi pun)?