Video Thread

DemolitionMan

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

...and I'm glad that we never militarized our society to that degree. Sure, it's tank themed and that's the only thing it has it going for it. But it's got to be seen in the whole context of preparing children's minds from Kindergarten age on for the inevitability of armed class struggle against the proto-fascist capitalist oppressors to the west. That's how much they hated and feared individual freedom.

I agree with your premise.

I wasn't complementing the video just showing the lengths some nations went to encourage military service.

I remember back in the early 70s the british army visiting my junior school showing the weapons they used they even let us handle them. all decommissioned obviously 

Western nations as far as i know didi not go the the lengths shown in the video.

But i also believe western nations used more Subliminable methods such as Films, boys toys, and even simulation war games to encourage military service. 

How many guys on this forum had toy soldiers a toy gun some type of uniform when they were young.

Actually then my mother tried to ban me from playing with toyguns and military stuff ... but she gave up rather quickly 😁

So I honestly looking back dont feel that I was indoctrinated. An important point with the West as opposed to the dictatorships, is that we had free speech and free press. And I for one remember a lot of anti-militaristic rhetoric from a lot of different sources.

Some of which later turned out to have been financed by non-western sources.

I actually happen to think that one of the strengths of democracies is that they allow dissent and more than one viewpoint. I do not always agree with others views, but will defend their right to have and express them always.

Churchill IMHO was right when he stated:

"No-one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise,"

and continued:

"Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

Edited by Nike-Ajax

Deserted Israeli vehicles near Al-Qantara, after the 1973 war:

https://reuters.screenocean.com/record/207795

These Centurions and M48A3s belonged to the 198th and 9th armored battalions respectively. They were destroyed on October 6th-7th, while trying to prevent the Egyptian 18th infantry division troops from crossing the Suez Canal.

Close-up on a 105 mm APDS round is at 0:42.

Edited by Iarmor

• 2 weeks later...