Video Thread

DemolitionMan

15 hours ago, Captain_Colossus said:

there is a joke in the MMO community- whether talking about war thunder or world of tanks probably makes no difference- 'no armor is the best armor' , usually with respect to a perceived problem with armor models in the games where non or lightly armored vehicles appear to be the most survivable as shots either fail to fuse or pass through or something

I read somewhere that when the brits shot T-55s during gulf war, the sabot rounds did go all the way through without causing any damage, because T-55 were not enough armored.

Anyway, there is no infantery in warthunder to threaten light armor with small arm fire and most people shot light vehicle using anti-armor rounds (because this is usually what is already loaded).

• Members
1 hour ago, BlackDeath said:

I read somewhere that when the brits shot T-55s during gulf war, the sabot rounds did go all the way through without causing any damage, because T-55 were not enough armored.

Maybe it happened, but I would not treat the explanation as gospel.

4 hours ago, BlackDeath said:

Anyway, there is no infantery in warthunder to threaten light armor with small arm fire and most people shot light vehicle using anti-armor rounds (because this is usually what is already loaded).

Question would be, if you know that the target protection is weak (T55) would you order Sabot?

It would be in the crews best interest to use 120mm HESH, and keep the Sabot for the T-72 they would encounter. There is a thing as proper ammo /target procedure. And in most, if not all times (as longest tank kill) Hesh will do the job.

The effects of HESH rounds on homogenous armor [800x536 ...

Edited by 12Alfa

• Members

I don't know if this is a rhetorical question. But the Ukrainian Army seems to use them sparingly (because they are vulnerable to air defense systems), preferably on high-value targets, and I guess they have lost a number of them (not that the number ever was very high to begin with, merely 12 systems (=36 flying units), of which only 9 were delivered by end of February).

Bayraktars have initially been scoring very high in internet meme rankings because their engagements are filmable to begin with, and also somewhat telegenic if you like explosions. But I think their main value still is in reconnaissance and directing artillery fire, not destroying individual BMDs.

• Members

I really don't want to start censoring posts. I also am of the opinion that, all other things being equal, I'm for the ugly truth rather than comfortable ignorance. It's war. War is ugly. People make mistakes, sometimes they commit crimes. There is no clean war. Sometimes pragmatic decisions are made, misunderstandings can escalate very quickly, and I think we can all agree that the number of hours in international law ans Geneva Conventions that both young Russian and conscripted Ukrainian soldiers receive is probably minimal.

Videos provide only limited context, and they are usually cut and selected to support a certain political slant; in that sense, we can't know whether the videos show war crimes or the usual factors that cause fear among soldiers, and from that will come quick and occasionally questionable actions.

Incompetence can often be mistaken as malice.

No side wants what it perceives are the other's propaganda to without rebuttal. But please keep in mind that this will very often degenerate to what's aptly called "whataboutism". Two wrongs don't make a right. We have a rule here that we don't want to have political debate on SteelBeasts.com. That in itself is already some sort of a political statement, and I recognize the irony of it. But there are plenty of other sites on the internet where such videos can be distributed and discussed. I will not tolerate a dumpster fire thread like "Kiev is burning" on TankNet over here. So please apply some self-restraint in the kind of content that you post here. Both videos above have their justification to be shown, but both also have to potential to escalate debate here rather quickly. As eSim staff is minimal, we might be forced to lock this thread if things get out of hand, so ask yourself before posting a video if it's something that's best suited for SteelBeasts.com.