DemolitionMan

On 1/20/2023 at 7:57 PM, Iarmor said:

A short Israeli Armored Corps promotional documentary film from 1971:

https://jfc.org.il/en/news_journal/51230-2/113891-2/

Another film (or the first 10 minutes of it), this time from 1963:

https://jfc.org.il/en/news_journal/58666-2/111588-2/

Action starts on 1:25.

4:06: AMX-13 autoloader in action.

8:05 and on: M50 Shermans go down a steep slope, helped by a M32 ARV.

image.jpeg.c50dccc5c650a708ae1b18477b57f91b.jpeg

Edited by Iarmor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think the video is authentic. But I see no reason to expect that everything will go swimmingly either. The Russians had time to prepare their defenses. It may still be possible to find a crack in them, but part of the task is to find out where the crack is not. And with 24/7 coverage of the whole front with drone surveillance and drone-directed artillery, and mine obstacles preventing the unfolding or armored formations and reliance on fast maneuver to generate shock and surprise --- well, Ukraine managed to defend very well, and it seems that operationally the defense is stronger than ever in this war, for either side.

I'm no military tactician, but it seems the more things change, the more they stay the same.  If you have good intelligence/recon, artillery becomes the dominating tool.  Fix and destroy.  And this video shows a sub-lesson we have seen multiple times in this war; bunching up is not a good idea.  The best way to disrupt armored warfare is slow them to bunch them up or get them on the way to the front.

• Members

I think we're seeing the domination of air power at the operational level. It's hard, if not impossible, to generate operational surprise with pervasive and ubiquitous drone surveillance.

And then, at the tactical level, the receipes to defeat mechanized assault with prepared defenses and artillery at the ready are well known. Heck, Ukraine demonstrated that in Vuhledar.

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I think we're seeing the domination of air power at the operational level. It's hard, if not impossible, to generate operational surprise with pervasive and ubiquitous drone surveillance.

And then, at the tactical level, the receipes to defeat mechanized assault with prepared defenses and artillery at the ready are well known. Heck, Ukraine demonstrated that in Vuhledar.

Arethe A6 and M2 export models?

• Members
3 hours ago, mpow66m said:

Arethe A6 and M2 export models?

Assuming that you mean the Leopard 2A6 and the M2A2 Bradley in the videos shown a page ago, I know of no reason to believe they are. I know of no variants of either system that might qualify as what's colloquially called "export model" (other than the obvious fact that they have been somehow exported to Ukraine).

• Members

Again, I don't think so.

For one, for the Bradleys it makes no sense to further reduce the protection level - at least, I cannot think of any compelling reason why one would even consider that for an IFV. Second, all vehicles - Bradley and Leopards - were taken from US and European army inventories, not built to order. Third, I have never heard of any attempt of KMW to reduce armor protection levels of the Leopard 2 for any customer (maybe also because German export policy is somewhat restricted); quite the contrary, over the past forty years the ballistic inhomogeneities have been systematically reduced to offer a near-uniform frontal protection level, plus additional efforts to make the ammunition propellant less prone for sympathetic detonation (seems to have worked from what I can see in the Russian footage shown so far; yes, one 2A6 eventually burned out, but it took the fire a good while to develop in full, and so major detonation seems to have occurred (except for a turret bustle where the venting plates seem to have come off as designed)).

I think no Steel Beasts player should be surprised by any of this, it's pretty much in line with how we simulate (except that the sympathetic detonations occur as if all Leopard still had loaded 1980s ammunition).