Video Thread

DemolitionMan

I saw The Calamari Wrestler. Japan makes a lot of people in costumes movies but Kawasaki (the director of the aforementioned movie) seems to elevate them above the rest of the genre. Behold his latest craptacular, The Executive Koala:

m9rGni-DJJc

Tank round captured accidentaly on camera in "bullett-time", unfortunately its not a training footage - Israelis vs Palestinians:

A few people in the video's comments have it right. The target was the camera man shooting the video not the kids in front. With a camera on his shoulder at that distance it looked like a weapon being aimed at the tank, so the crew responded. The guy was lucky that he was only knocked unconscious and that it wasn't a canister round.

One or two other camera men have made similar errors in judgement in the past and paid for it as I recall. I don't fault the tank crew. You don't point things at tanks in a hostile environment, especially when the "business end" is aimed your way.

A few people in the video's comments have it right. The target was the camera man shooting the video not the kids in front. With a camera on his shoulder at that distance it looked like a weapon being aimed at the tank, so the crew responded. The guy was lucky that he was only knocked unconscious and that it wasn't a canister round.

One or two other camera men have made similar errors in judgement in the past and paid for it as I recall. I don't fault the tank crew. You don't point things at tanks in a hostile environment, especially when the "business end" is aimed your way.

I seem to recall an incident where a news crew pulled up to the outskirts of some built up area in a panel van (which Hezbollah use to transport fighters and crew served weapon teams around), then hopped out and started filming. There was some note about one of the camera crew using a laser rangefinder (Dunno why, I can only assume for some camera focusing purposes. I figured everything would be auto-focusing but I guess not...) on one of the tanks, causing the LWR to trigger, and the tank commander assumed it was either a LRF or a SACLOS beam (if the Laser Warning Receiver distinguishes between such threats), as one would when your LWR screams at you, and had his platoon engage the "ATGM team" with canister.

Of course, this was presented as another example of Evil Israel, not stupid media. Sigh. There really needs to be a course journalists take: "How to film in a warzone without getting a JDAM dropped on you, being stonked by an artillery battery, or becoming the target of a section ambush 101."

• Members
A few people in the video's comments have it right.

I salute you for wading through the comments there. After just a couple my brain locked up. :cvcys:

probably that says more about my brain than about youtube comments though

Anybody know what kind of round was used? Probably something inert? I'm a bit surprised that overpressure from the gun alone did not knock down the kid (and cameraman). What happened to the sabot petals (I think even HE shalls have some kind of detaching stabilizers)?

• 2 weeks later...