Video Thread

DemolitionMan

How I wish that game was Online.

I bought Panzer Elite, but could never get it to work.

Last WW2 tank sim I played was many moons ago Panzer Commander.

In 2001 I could not believe that SB had forests You could enter and not just blocks of trees.

Edited by Brun

Guest Killjoy
It should run just fine on Xp and Win7 as well, I'm playing it up till today:

B5liqf-8zdk

I get a "drives need to be installed" message and when I hit ok it comes up with "Unable to proceed (Error 1275)".

:(

How do you guys get your videos to embed in the thread? All I get is a big white block of nothing...

See this post: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showpost.php?p=253437&postcount=3307

If you have any sort of tracking blocker app you may need to turn it off to see the video in the post afterwards. I have a Google tracking blocker on mine that won't allow me to see the videos in the posts until I turn it off.

Having a chat with some people about whether I can post some training videos I made for Soviet assaults.

If cleared these show the Battalion transitioning from:

Battalion in column

Company columns

Platoon columns

Assault formation (extened line just as the cross the LD)

Including the doctrinal distances from the Blue defenders that these happen.

Probably old news to SVU members but maybe useful to others.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

German '88 gunners after a timewarp?

If only I could see anything in that video, but it's all black to me.

If it is about a HE round killing some other tank - it's a known issue, and on the agenda. Unfortunately the code parts are tied to a number of other elements which are about to be changed as well, so it's not a trivial undertaking.

I imagine that you would probably want to:

1. Wave goodbye to your primary sight, thermals, laser range finder, and any other sensitive stuff on top of the tank because all that stuff is GONE!

2. Pop smoke! "Driver STOP! Turn right! Driver BACK! BACK! BACK!"

3. Check your gunner immediately to make sure he didn't somehow get a face full of glass (I don't know how the optics are linked up and how resistant they would be to that kind of impact or even if it's a problem at all?) or any other injuries from his optics whacking him in the face or something.

4. Call 2/A platoon, inform them you last saw all of your fire control equipment flying in their direction and ask them if any of your stuff landed near their positions.

I imagine that tank would be completely done with that fight and pulling back to go hide in a hole as a glorified pillbox, but I also imagine the majority if not all of the crew would live.

Hmm, an unexpected HE round hitting the turret roof at 3.5km?

Even the "invincible" M1A2 is not just going to shrug that off.

Ok SB might be a little loose with AI gunnery and there may even be an underlying bug with the behaviour of HE (see Ssnakes post above) but...

It could happen, we just have to deal with these things and move on.

seems most of these "OMG my tank wuz killled!" posts/threads involve the M1A2. Maybe players have a false sense of security with this new tank?

btw had another look at the vid, hatches were open, that to me is a kill fair and square.

I imagine that you would probably want to:

1. Wave goodbye to your primary sight, thermals, laser range finder, and any other sensitive stuff on top of the tank because all that stuff is GONE!

2. Pop smoke! "Driver STOP! Turn right! Driver BACK! BACK! BACK!"

3. Check your gunner immediately to make sure he didn't somehow get a face full of glass (I don't know how the optics are linked up and how resistant they would be to that kind of impact or even if it's a problem at all?) or any other injuries from his optics whacking him in the face or something.

4. Call 2/A platoon, inform them you last saw all of your fire control equipment flying in their direction and ask them if any of your stuff landed near their positions.

I imagine that tank would be completely done with that fight and pulling back to go hide in a hole as a glorified pillbox, but I also imagine the majority if not all of the crew would live.

...not if the hatches where open. But i too agree that there is improvement needed concerning the effect of he rounds

Even with my bias as a former 'A2 tanker, a 125mm HE round to the turret top - taking into account the known inaccuracies of the kill rays in AARs - leads to the only fair conclusion: that's a good kill. A bit improbable at 4k, but a good kill none the less.

Are those rays inaccurate enough that the hit may have actually been on the turret front rather than the top?

If you told me that kind of hit could punch a hole right through the top and kill everything inside, I'd believe it was possible, but a hit on the turret front seems much more survivable.

Actually it is possible to achieve a kill with HE round if it hits GPS "doghouse" at such angle.

The answer is how the sight is placed and how much armor is cut out from the roof to make place for sight.

wieam1a1m1a21h.jpg

So yeah, hitting at a precise angle sights might lead to projectile groing without any problem through them and holes for them.

However it is just a very, very, very lucky shot, and very, very, very unlikely in normal combat conditions. And hitting the same way any other tank with similiar sights arangement will probably lead to the same result.