Video Thread

DemolitionMan

Yep that's a T-64.

Listen to the engine sound its like a lawn mower on steroids.

You see?

You can use SB as a vehicle recognition guide too!

I concur with Comrade Marko, its a T-64B (Or C or D, depends what mark they are up to nowadays.) the fancy engine note gives it away, looks like they're on a jolly or got lost.

You see?

You can use SB as a vehicle recognition guide too!

I concur with Comrade Marko, its a T-64B (Or C or D, depends what mark they are up to nowadays.) the fancy engine note gives it away, looks like they're on a jolly or got lost.

And kudos to who ever implemented the engine sound to SB. Its very realistic.

Was it recorded directly from a T-64 engine.?

It's most likely the GOES-342 sensor.

products1000721.gif

The GOES-342 uses the "Module-Avia" Thermal Imager from OUMZ.

products1000563.gif

and combining OVN-1 "Skosok" NVG with II of 3rd gen. (Russian 3rd gen is equivalent to Western 2nd gen.)

http://books.google.com/books?id=e2VAJsXqPUwC&pg=PA197&lpg=PA197&dq=Avia+thermal+imager&source=bl&ots=fhmh6AjUHj&sig=l0O1CJnRJHUw1oxgjShkhGKV9C8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7d6iU4v-Gcqc8QHFr4H4BQ&ved=0CG0Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=Avia%20thermal%20imager&f=false

The info in the link above will put most to sleep, but apparently the FLIR sensor in the Mi-35 is a 4x288 array with four time-delay-integration circuits, to help with longer range. The system eventually evolved into a 384x288 Mercury Cadmium Telluride staring system.

The English in the display could be from standard off the shelf software that got integrated into the unit, would be interesting to see other languages if possible in the display.

For contrast, the thermal imager on the AH-64 as installed in 2005 :

http://www.drs.com/Products/RSTA/PDF/Arrowhead.pdf

http://www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADA506987]

The major factor enabling this 1-82 ARB to employ high

altitude tactics so effectively was the introduction of the

M-TADS. “The Arrowhead® FLIR M-TADS targeting system

incorporates component technology and software algorithms

that were developed for the Comanche platform.”16 The MTADS/

PNVS provides the aircrew a clear 2nd generation FLIR

image at ranges greater than eight kilometers (see Fig.

2.)

is a 480x5 2nd gen FLIR with HTI and some complex algorithm sorcery that came from the Commanche programs.

Some Mi-35 FLIR footage:

Below in the video you'll notice some glare when hot objects are present, and a lack of Automatic Gain Control, especially when an explosion or particularly hot object is in the field of view. This tells me that the algorithms that maintain image quality are rather low quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQBf5-BhBRI

The FLIR is shown as 680+ meters from the ISIS vehicles, on the left you can see one of the helo's fire off an ATGM at one of the ISIS trucks, the FLIR then zooms in, apparently 3 fields of view to see the result. Range is on the bottom of the screen toward the left side right under the heading info.

Another FLIR image with ATGM attack on ISIS staging area from Mi-35: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac1B3C_UENw

Comparing the view at just over half a kilometer versus what can be seen in the Apache, the FLIR on the Mi-35 has a long way to go, but it's an important capability and is certainly better than no FLIR at all, and a fascinating glimpse of the Mi-35's capabilities.

Edited by Invader ZIM

toDRASFibCQ

mBYXs7_1URo

Sorry this took so long to get out. I thought either I or Sony Movie Studio has messed up something 'cause the final audio extended past the end of the video. I ended up restarting from scratch with VirtualDub and AviSynth, and when I finished I discovered the audio on the recording did continue past the end of the video data as the video capture stopped momentarily when I exited the mission to save the AAR. :c:

• Moderators

Sorry this took so long to get out. I thought either I or Sony Movie Studio has messed up something 'cause the final audio extended past the end of the video. I ended up restarting from scratch with VirtualDub and AviSynth, and when I finished I discovered the audio on the recording did continue past the end of the video data as the video capture stopped momentarily when I exited the mission to save the AAR. :c:

Thanks for posting and making the video.

Maybe those videos could/should be in the TGIF scenario thread also? Or maybe a whole new TGIF video thread in the Multiplayer forum? :) It is easy to overlook it in ground zero I think.