Fury

daskal

Plus firefly itself was quite rare on the battlefield (one in 5 shermans?)

Well rarer actually in that the Firefly was the UK variant with the 17Pdr (76.2mm/3") AT gun in the turret.

The US didn't have any of these but IIRC their M4A1(76)W and M4A3E8(76)W "Easy Eight" provide similar improved AT capability over the original 75mm gun.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Firefly, by definition, "the one with the 17 pdr AT gun in the turret"?

890m average engagement? Is this including the Russian front? I had always seen estimates closer to 600m

As to the availability of 76mm HVAP: first, consider that the tank depicted in this movie is an Easy Eight. They didn't come until very, very late in the war anyhow; by the time they start showing up, HVAP is becoming more available, after having initially been issued only to TD units. Would they have an entire basic load of HVAP, of course not- but it would not be unreasonable to expect a tank to carry 2-5 for the express purpose of engaging Tigers. Second, I only mention HVAP because it has 1000+ m frontal perforation of the thickest armor on the Tiger I. 76mm APCBC will do just peachy from any other angle at distances to 1500+, or frontally at some 600-700 m (IE, normal combat distances).

That aside, we could always get into the Hollywood (and armchair historian) mythology that there were, in fact, Tigers EVERYWHERE. There just weren't that many Tigers to go around. As alluded to earlier, most German tanks were MkIVs, all the way to the end of the war, and they were slightly inferior to the Sherman in most regards (though in early '44, they had a better gun until the 76mm-gun Shermans caught up).

If we wanna get really historically accurate, the Tiger breaks down or runs out of fuel twenty miles from the movie heroes, and some random P-47 or Typhoon comes and drops it's cookies right down the hatches.

Doesn't make for a terribly exciting film climax, though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Firefly, by definition, "the one with the 17 pdr AT gun in the turret"?

Yes but the point I was making is that its a lot rarer than 1 in 5, since the 5 includes the ones in US, Soviet and whoever else's service, not just the ones in UK service.

So for example (and the numbers are purely for point of argument only, so proportional not accurate).

Say 60,000 Shermans of all types built.

Say 5,000 issued to UK (not all at once but replacement pool, etc.)

So if you mean 1:5 in UK service that's 1,000 Firefly's.

But "one in five Shermans in service" would be 12,000 (60,000/5) and as the UK were the only ones to make the Firefly that becomes 1 in 6,000 (being the UK's production as part of the total pool).

I saw the movie today and thought is was awesome. Kind of a split between Band of Brothers and Saving Pvt. Ryan to me. The movie didn't hold anything back. Dirty, grim and showed the horrors of war and the effects it has on the men who go to war.

IMHO it won't be a box office hit. It's not an action flick, but a down and dirty war story. :)

So is it really a lone Sherman tank blundering aimlessly around the back streets of the 3rd Reich (but fully fueled, with adequate ammo, etc.), desperately trying to achive some secret mission?

I get that in something like Kelly's Heroes but not in something that's supposedly "realistic". :)

No. Without giving too much away, they started with a group of Shermans and they are moving into a blocking position to stop a German force on the move. This is towards the very end of the movie. The Tiger combat is quick & sharp in the movie. It's not Tiger's everywhere. Really only one tank on tank combat scene out of the many combat sections of the movie.

Great movie, but the ending isn't a Hollywood ending of the good guys riding into the sunset. It's a war is hell, dirty, grim and the horrors of war flick. I didn't come out thinking war is fun, a great thing and let's all kill Germans and life is good.

So is it really a lone Sherman tank blundering aimlessly around the back streets of the 3rd Reich (but fully fueled, with adequate ammo, etc.), desperately trying to achive some secret mission?

I get that in something like Kelly's Heroes but not in something that's supposedly "realistic". :)

A few of my mates played extras in the movie. All were ex tank commanders playing tank commanders amongst other things.

Presumably you weren't picked Neil 'cos your good looks might have distracted attention from the star? :)

On another matter, would you care to pm me re UKA or join the existing discussion on our forum? Many thanks.

A regular stage for "Henry V" doesn't have the whole field of Agincourt either; the compression of time and space is an essential element in any drama. ;)

Thats partly a problem of SB too.

Normal gameplay videos have problems capturing the audience. Unlike with ArmA and other "Infantry sims", you don't realy "see" the action.

We fire at targets that are 2000+ m away...no "hollywood material"

From a technical standpoint, Fury is good looking in some scenes, the special effects look good.

The story is very uneven, so I'll include a little lite spoiler warning.

For all the grim dialogue and attempt to portray a grim, bottomless sewer depicting total war the fight sequences are more out of place, they feel like they belong in an action film, there's Rambo territory here. It rips off Saving Private Ryan in key moments, in fact one of the characters is the exact same character, you'll recognize him immediately.

The story tries so hard to manipulate the audience, it's rather transparent. There is so much orchestral theme music going on during the battles, which is what SPR avoided. For instance, the fighting actually quits during the middle of a battle so that characters can have their dramatic dialogue, complete with theme music and that very typical female choir voice that sings that "whoaaaaaaaaaaa," and even piano music conveys sentimental feelings.

The final battle is boring, it's just not realistic. Based on the trailer I'm not surprised they went for that, based on critics' reviews I thought maybe my mind would be changed in that the film might be more realistic. But no, it's more like the trailer.

Thats partly a problem of SB too.

Normal gameplay videos have problems capturing the audience. Unlike with ArmA and other "Infantry sims", you don't realy "see" the action.

We fire at targets that are 2000+ m away...no "hollywood material"

nonsense. snipers have been depicted fairly decently in hollywood movies, and tanks are moving sniper rifles. it's just a matter of inept movie producers unable to film it properly.

all you really have to do is give the protagonists a mission make the audience care what happends to the crews, and root for them to complete (or fail) their mission, and then you play on tension like in a horror movie, with an unknown enemy picking off tanks one by one,

jeopardizing the protagonists mission, and then they either fail or succeed.

I have seen the movie today and kinda have mixed feelings.

Spoilers.

The equipment used in the movie and the sounds are excellenet. Visuals in general are OK, but the movie feels kinda like a low budget war movie with a very few extras at hand. I just never had the impression of being in the midst of the "big war".

Tiger battle. It was short and kinda dumb. Too many misses at 500 meters... the whole sequence was just unrealistic. it was cool seeing it in action though, but the conclusion of the battle was just dumb.

Crossroads - final battle. This is where it got boring and I kinda got disconnected from the movie. It was kinda like Rambo & Expendables, and the whole sequence was just weird. Not to mention the instantenious switch from day to night when the battle starts?? That so many infantry units are not able to take out a crippled tank? There were a couple of laughs actually heard in the cinema during the "sniper" scene where the sniper was missing (or hitting?) multiple times from like 50 meters...

In overall - I still think its worth to watch it, but anyone interested in tank warfare might be a bit disconnected at times.