Fury

daskal

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have seen the movie today and kinda have mixed feelings.

Spoilers.

The equipment used in the movie and the sounds are excellenet. Visuals in general are OK, but the movie feels kinda like a low budget war movie with a very few extras at hand. I just never had the impression of being in the midst of the "big war".

Tiger battle. It was short and kinda dumb. Too many misses at 500 meters... the whole sequence was just unrealistic. it was cool seeing it in action though, but the conclusion of the battle was just dumb.

Crossroads - final battle. This is where it got boring and I kinda got disconnected from the movie. It was kinda like Rambo & Expendables, and the whole sequence was just weird. Not to mention the instantenious switch from day to night when the battle starts?? That so many infantry units are not able to take out a crippled tank? There were a couple of laughs actually heard in the cinema during the "sniper" scene where the sniper was missing (or hitting?) multiple times from like 50 meters...

In overall - I still think its worth to watch it, but anyone interested in tank warfare might be a bit disconnected at times.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER!

Same conclusion here. The movie as a whole is quite good, but the last battle is really disapointing. You just want to tell the germans soldiers "you got a lot of panzerfaust, stop swarming the damn tank like lemmings and cook it!"

DELETED SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER!

Still, you will love it and hate it at the same time ;)

Edited by BlackDeath

Dang, that was a major spoiler BlackDeath. Readers beware!

Anyway, I doubt I'll get to watch Fury while it's in theaters, but I hope the Blu-Ray will be worth it.

I added more spoiler alert and deleted the biggest spoiler, sorry for that buddy

Anyway, the movie reminds me a lot of save private ryan but in a tank

It channels Saving Private Ryan because it rips off Saving Private Ryan. It just doesn't do many things as well as SPR.

SPR was a technical masterpiece because of the creative way the scenes are shot and edited to look like a documentary. This film doesn't reproduce that feeling at all. But it rips off certain characters and scenes, without the same impact.

There was much to criticize about SPR as it too has to do things to appeal to audiences, it relies on certain formulas and needs to tell a story in 2 hours or so. But technically it's still so much better.

I still say that theme music is more often than not a mistake to have in the actual battle sequences. That is an attempt by filmmakers to manipulate the audience's feelings and steer them in a certain directions, but if these scenes are done well, then you don't need that. It actually is a detriment. This film is soaked with theme music and female choir voices during the battles, so instead of immersing the audience in the chaos of everything going on (which was another area that SPR did well- not just the cinematography, but the audio editing), it abstracts everything a bit.

Well if I was to tell a story with tanks.

Subject:

"Zvika Force" in 1973

With some broad stroked narration giving a brief synopsis about the build up to war in the Golan, and take off from his leave at home, his hitching a lift to the field, his stint in the med centre, to the tank fight over 20 hours (You might have to parse it down a bit but I think an element of boredom, while waiting for the syrians to pitch up, will be an essential element. With a bit of character building to fill this space.) Final line of the film should be "I can't anymore"

Style:

"The Beast of War" I.E. the gritty uncensored view (you see a squashed body.) With a bit of SPR "Army Signal corps camrea man handy cam" Bare minimum of musical sound track if there's music its someone listening to a radio.

Gun fire, Production sound, look at Micheal Mann films.

View:

From the perspective of various crew (Headcams or like Peepshow)

Principle character

Zvika Greengold himself, Handily he's still around. :)

Lead Actor:

Benedict Cumberbatch?

Intensive Tank Training will be needed so the actors know what they are doing, they live on the vehicle between takes, the only thing that isn't live would be the ammuntion.

• Moderators
BTW, everyone says the tiger battle is kinda dumb, but what was the real strategy employed at the time beside calling for air support?

Same thing you would do in SB if you had T-72s up against M1 or Leo2: try to sneak around to the flank, and use superior numbers to provide multiple targets. But not drive around to the flank while seen, in the open. :clin:

Same thing you would do in SB if you had T-72s up against M1 or Leo2: try to sneak around to the flank, and use superior numbers to provide multiple targets. But not drive around to the flank while seen, in the open. :clin:

Makes sense, yes :) Or use smoke cover to blind the tank?

Ow, and I saw 2 World of tanks ads before the movies starts and no Steel Beasts ads, how come?! :D

Cool! Wot the movie...

Another item for the crap list.

+1

Despite my better judgement, I spent/wasted some money just to be sure.

Spoilers (I suspect most have seen it by now) .....................

75mm PAK 40s that miss at what 200m (against targets that are in an open field, no cover/concealment and they already have the range because they dealt with the halftracks).

88mm L56 that misses at say 600m (against targets that are in an open field, no cover/concealment)

Logs that somehow serve as extra armour on the side of the "Ronson".

Sh*t German gunnery:

1. Aim at centre of mass but manage to only decapitate a crew commander.

2. Four tanks less than 30m apart (i.e. within the Gunner's sight field of view) and instead of "next target right go on", he makes a meal of it.

3. They engage the low value targets first (75mm) and leave the threat ones (76mm) until last.

Sh*t German vehicle placement:

1. Throw away your superior range advantage and camp beside the engagement area.

2. Set up an "ambush" where you are downhill from the target and only kill one tank.

3. Forget about making a range card so you already know the range.

4. No withdrawal route so you sacrifice more range advantage by coming forward.

Cliches:

Drive over the defending Infantry.

Drive over the corpse on the road.

"Let em burn".

Grab a grenade to protect you mates.

Other weird stuff:

Roomiest tank turret I've seen since "Lebanon" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1483831/)

How did the first assistant driver die? No corresponding damage to reflect his injuries (he wasn't just shot).

Crazy order of march - The Platoon commander is in the front vehicle. He dies, the Platoon loses its leadership, so the next senior guy steps up and again adopts the lead position in the column? Pretty hard to exercise command and control for the Platoon when you are busy fighting your own vehicle.

The hydraulics destroyed in the Tiger engagement seem to be back for the final scene.

The track runs off the top of the return rollers after the mine strike as if it was broken at the top (less than 10 link) not the bottom.

A lone AT mine? No APERS ones with it for when everybody jumps off to look at the damage?

Germans have a heap of Panzerfausts and bring up more but only get one hit on an immobile tank with covered approaches on most sides.

The sole Panzerfaust hit kills one guy in the "super crew" compared to the earlier scene where one completely incinerates a vehicle.

It needs a sniper to kill the guy outside the turret standing up on the rear deck using the AA 0.50". I guess because the remainder of the Company can't hit the side of a barn?

The grenades that go off inside cause no visible damage to the guys in the turret (yet the initial scene has the FNG washing out the remains of the previous assistant driver).

And then there's the issue with the music/choir that seems to chime in at the least appropriate time and the themes/scenes "borrowed"/"inspired" by Saving Private Ryan ("Let em burn", etc.).

Movie: "No stars"

Seeing the running Tiger again: "2 Stars" :)

Don't think they will ever make a truly accurate War/armour movie.

Even though they hire retired officers and historians as consultants.

Production time costs money and why bother with details the majority of your audience

Will not realise the inaccuracies anyway.

Hope I am wrong though. Really looking forward to thunder run.

• Members
Don't think they will ever make a truly accurate War/armour movie.

Even though they hire retired officers and historians as consultants.

These are just sock puppets for the Making of and Behind the Scenes. They may be called "consultants" but the storyline is dictated by the Studio's marketing executives and the producers. They won't be able to rewrite it for more plausibility.

They say that fiction, unlike reality, must make sense. But not all fiction actually does. ;)

With all inaccuracies aside, the sound was really AWESOME and for me it alone made it worth watching it on a big screen with proper audio that you wouldn't have at home. A lot of people were complaining about the music vs having just the actual sounds, and I see that point, but... if you listen to the score separately it really is a good one.