Video capture software recommendations?

MDF

Not sure exactly which sub-forum this goes in, but anyway...

I'm thinking of recording some steel beasts missions. Anyone have any recommendations as to the best recording software? I'm aware of Fraps and dxtory. How do these compare? Any other candidates?

My system specs:

i7-2600K CPU @ 3.4GHz

16 GB RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium

GeForce GTX 580 (1.5GB video memory)

1.43 TB of available hard drive space (SATA 7200RPM)

dxtory seems to cost about $35. Assuming Fraps and other candidates are in or close to that order of magnitude, price is no object.

Well, it really depends on your workflow. I like to capture all my audio separately (one track for the SB, one for Teamspeak, and one for my mic) so I use Virtual Audio Cable to run SB and TS to their own devices and then record to individual tracks with Dxtory. I capture the video in RGB using the MagicYUV codec. I then mix the audio in Audacity, optionally edit with Movie Studio 13 Platinum, and then compress for Youtube with ffmpeg.

If you don't want to mess around with stuff like that, Open Broadcaster Software is free and can capture directly to H264. With your i7-2600K you can use the QuickSync to use the build-in H264 encoder on the CPU to help reduce the CPU load.

Well, it really depends on your workflow. I like to capture all my audio separately (one track for the SB, one for Teamspeak, and one for my mic) so I use Virtual Audio Cable to run SB and TS to their own devices and then record to individual tracks with Dxtory. I capture the video in RGB using the MagicYUV codec. I then mix the audio in Audacity, optionally edit with Movie Studio 13 Platinum, and then compress for Youtube with ffmpeg.

If you don't want to mess around with stuff like that, Open Broadcaster Software is free and can capture directly to H264. With your i7-2600K you can use the QuickSync to use the build-in H264 encoder on the CPU to help reduce the CPU load.

I had to run your entire response through Google Translate.:bigsmile:

I'm a total neophyte at all this. I did just try OBS, but it saved the files as .flv's -- the video seemed OK for 2D-rendered video (e.g., Map view), but any 3D scenes were horribly pixelated.

I wonder if I shouldn't just dive in and get Fraps....some googling suggests that it's easier than dxtory for neophytes such as myself. I'm not looking to do anything too fancy.

Just how large are the Fraps files for, say, 1.5 hours of hi-res recording?

Well given that this, recorded in FRAPS,:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZMVj7ZUCegWmnKRWbGcK7pBYNYV7C9SJmy

is 340Mb for 13 Secs, I'd say HUGE! :)

Presumably for 90mins you'd need some sort of compression software.

Oh my, that would be prohibitive for recording an entire mission and oral AAR. I suppose you can compress it at the same time you're recording, but I'd imagine at some point it would seriously impact my PC's ability to run SB smoothly.

I did read that dxtory is better on the file size front.

I had to run your entire response through Google Translate.:bigsmile:

I'm a total neophyte at all this. I did just try OBS, but it saved the files as .flv's -- the video seemed OK for 2D-rendered video (e.g., Map view), but any 3D scenes were horribly pixelated.

OBS can save as mp4s. With some tweaking, you can get pretty good quality for the file size it renders... I stream and record locally other games every weekend and 3 and a half hours of footage in 720 is about 1.6 GB.

The one downside is some video editing software is pretty picky about how saves.

Oh my, that would be prohibitive for recording an entire mission and oral AAR. I suppose you can compress it at the same time you're recording, but I'd imagine at some point it would seriously impact my PC's ability to run SB smoothly.

I did read that dxtory is better on the file size front.

I must add the caveat that this was just after pressing "record" (no research as to best settings or tweaking of any kind).

While I'm working on my desktop PC and just record a quick part of my scenario I'm working on, which is called "Operation Desert Rose" which pits a Soviet Tank Brigade vs. a US Mech BN (+) on my laptop.

Its a rough cut using FRAPS to record the game and then using my program called Movie Studio Platinum 12 to make the movie. When you start it need to select 1080 HD to watch from the Settings.

OBS can save as mp4s. With some tweaking, you can get pretty good quality for the file size it renders... I stream and record locally other games every weekend and 3 and a half hours of footage in 720 is about 1.6 GB.

The one downside is some video editing software is pretty picky about how saves.

OK, I figured out how to save to .mp4 and how to up the bit rate to improve the video quality. Except now there is no audio in Windows Media Player or Windows Live Movie maker. I can hear the audio in Media Player Classic, though. Well, this is going to be a learning process.