assorted mission editor questions

thekingofstyle

I'm working on a co-op mission, and have run across a few questions for scripting the enemy routes

1) is there a way to do a single condition based on "if ANY friendly units see enemy in Region Alpha" ?

a) I see selections for Unit "this" and the unit designators for each unit on the map, but nothing for 'any' - With the number of units and randomization I have, I don't want to do conditions based on each map unit designator.

2) I have multiple regions that overlap - ie "Obj Town" inside "SW Region"

If I have multiple Embark If routes conditions based off those regions from a single waypoint, how does the system resolve the overlapping? These are of the type 'if any friendly forces inside the region are under direct fire.' What if they were two non-overlapping regions?

3) Conditional 'less than' logic - Wondering whether the '<' is truly a 'less than' or 'less than or equal to' - can someone confirm my thinking?

I have some logic where I want it to be 'if there are 1 or fewer infantry units left in Obj Town' - then end the mission. Hasn't been working quite the way i wanted.

Seems like in this case "< 1" and "< 0" are functionally the same thing?

For this logic to really work, I need to use "< 2" ???

Thanks for the help :)

- John

John,

1. How about using "known enemy" as opposed to "enemy"? To be "known" it had to be spotted by something (i.e. satisfies your "any" requirement)?

2. Well I don't understand why you have overlapping regions with the same conditions (maybe I'm reading it incorrectly)?

If they are separate then you just end up with some sort of "Y" structure. If Condition A is the top left fork of the "Y" then if satisfied the unit embarks on that leg to the centre common route and off it goes. If Condition B is the top right fork of the "Y" then if satisfied the unit in that region unit embarks on that leg to the centre common route and off it goes.

3. Its less than to the best of my knowledge. Refer the second last choice re Random variables were you have "<=" and "<" as the range.

Well you can't have negative numbers of units so "< 0" is pointless.

So yes if you want to reflect "1 or fewer" then you need to use "< 2".

• Members
I'm working on a co-op mission, and have run across a few questions for scripting the enemy routes

1) is there a way to do a single condition based on "if ANY friendly units see enemy in Region Alpha" ?

Gibsonm is right; using "known enemy" is the condition of choice in this case.

2) I have multiple regions that overlap - ie "Obj Town" inside "SW Region"

If I have multiple Embark If routes conditions based off those regions from a single waypoint, how does the system resolve the overlapping?

It depends on the type of operator that you use in your condition (whether it's AND, or OR). "OR" is an "inclusive" operator, that is, it's sufficient if ANY of the connected conditionals is true. "AND" is an "exclusive operator", that is, ALL of the connected conditionals must be true to satisfy the condition.

WRT to #3, Gibsnm is right as so often. :)

Yep, I've read several parts of the wikis - very helpful for the information contained there. Didn't see this info there, though.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

1 - 'known enemy' sounds like it will work well, thanks. Will probably work well for a lot of things.

2 - I have the map divided into regions. I have "Obj Town" inside "SW Region." I have units distributed inside/outside the Town, with varying routes depending on whether the units in/out of the town are under direct fire. This probably would be more robust with multiple regions next to the town.

3- Thanks for confirming.

And one more...

4. - how can I affect the Blue scoring based on # of units of another color remaining? Blue/Red/Green. Green is 'civilians' -

For this mission, if Blue kills any Green units, I want Blue's score to suffer.

For future missions, maybe I will have Blue defending/extracting Green units, so if Green units get killed by anyone, then I want Blue's score to decrease.

• Members
4. - how can I affect the Blue scoring based on # of units of another color remaining? Blue/Red/Green. Green is 'civilians' -

For this mission, if Blue kills any Green units, I want Blue's score to suffer.

The most basic approach would be to create Green events (unit strength < X, or # of own killed units in region Y > X, ...) and then to reference those events with a negative score. If you cannot reference Green events in the Blue team score (I'd have to try that out myself) you can still create Blue events that become true if a corresponding Green event is true.